The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

Al La Carte MP Order :)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mikehankes

mikehankes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:31

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)
Hey,

First post here, but long time Leica shooter. I currently own a Leica M7 but have had my eye an MP as a second body for some time. I'd like to purchase a new one and have been considering an Al La Carte MP to get the green leather . I have a few questions for those who have gone the MP route.

1. How nice is the leather? Does it have that lovely high quality leather smell to it?

2. How long did it take to make and receive your MP? I was quoted 12-16 week by Leica Miami. Is this the norm?

3. Did you have any issues with your build?

4. Anyone do the custom engraving? Thoughts? Was it worth it? Regrets?

Any other thoughts/help on the matter would be appreciated!

#2 Paul Verrips

Paul Verrips

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 635 posts
  • City / Ort:Wapserveen, Holland

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:30

Leica re-leathered my M7 with Ostrich Brown and yes it smells like leather. 
Custom engraving can be nice, but is prefer the body as naked as possible if it is a black version. Engraving on a silver body look better (look at the M-A versions black & silver chrome).

What kind of MP would you like? Black paint, black chrome or silver chrome?

#3 andybarton

andybarton

• Moderators
  • 28,616 posts
  • Location----- Airstrip 1 ----- 53°17'36"N, 02°31'53"W

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:49

I bought an MP for my 50th birthday a few years ago.

It was a black paint 0.58 viewfinder with the black saddle leather and was only engraved as standard. The leather does not smell of leather, but is lovely to hold - very smooth. You might want to consider a grip to go with it. Mine lived in an Artist and Artisan half case, which was also beautifully made and matched the camera very well.

Delivery depends upon where you can land in the queue. They build them in batches, so if you're lucky, you might get a later slot in a batch about to be made. Otherwise, you will have to wait for other orders to arrive before they start another batch.

I had several viewfinder alignment problems, which they solved eventually and a good friend who owns it now has had no problems with it since he bought it from me.

The black paint will wear quite quickly to give a lovely patina. And, if you have bought it new, you will know that it's your hands or camera bag that has given the camera it's character.

Andy

Any comment here is just my opinion. Yours may differ.

Posts made with my Moderator hat on are in Bold Dark Red

Blog: "Still My Turn This Year?" - 30th July 2017

Leica User Book 2014

#4 mikehankes

mikehankes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 17:36

Thanks for the replies! Ultimately, I'm still trying to figure out what I'd like to do. An Al La Carte sounds great as I'd like the leather finish on the body, but ends up coming a good portion more. 

I'm leaning towards a black mp, .72 viewfinder, with black leather. A friend of mine has the chrome silver version and I got to play with it some. It's mighty pretty!

#5 wattsy

wattsy

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 8,794 posts
  • City / Ort:UK

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:49

I'm leaning towards a black mp, .72 viewfinder, with black leather. A friend of mine has the chrome silver version and I got to play with it some. It's mighty pretty!

If it's only the leather you are interested in it may be cheaper, and will likely be quicker, to buy a regular black MP and send it in to Leica for re-covering in the leather of your choice.

Ian Watts
Tumblr // ianwatts.uk // flickr // Instagram

0 user(s) are reading this topic