What's the true story surrounding the birth of Red Scale Elmars?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, Fefes said:

I don't know if they have a different optical formula, but my Red Scale renders as Marco describes, sharper, somewhat higher contrast, seems to have less astigmatism or clarity of detail all over. The extent to which I look at detail is often looking at 200%, 400% 42MP images, which is quite obsessive. Given my own experience, I am not sure if the lens is different, maybe it's my sample. The Summicron v1 is excellent too, and I have two copies, one is almost perfect. It's a completely different experience, and it's hard to compare them. They are too different.

Yes... the Elmar RS is still today an excellent 50 ; but.. when you speak of your tests, do you mean that you have compared two (or more) different RS items ? The original question in the old thread was if all the RS have the same optics.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3 is 48.6mm and 1 is 49.6mm according to a table which I have:   The full table is below:   0 - 50.5mm 1- 49.6mm 3 - 48.6mm 4 - 50.7mm 5 - 51mm 6 - 51.3mm 7 - 51.6mm 8 - 51.9mm   I imagine the word 'nearest to' could be added here. Leica was, in my view, on a journey from a craft business to a mass manufacturer of camera lenses. The company hardly decided that on this day/week/month we will manufacture Elmars at, say, a focal length of 51mm. If JC or anyone has information from VIDO

whoa- 6 pages for the Red Scale Elmar! I can't add much- excpet to say I found this red scale Elmar at the bottom of a box at a fleamarket- I paid $5 AUD for it- my greatest ever leica Coup:   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!    

Hi, After four pages of kind information from forum members, I’d like to offer future readers the  complete short answer I was looking for:  one that’s good just for uninformed forum members: I’m no expert and I’m just trying to practice my English and share information, so this is my view, and perhaps a romantic one, not an absolute…  Thanks everyone !!! After producing for twenty-five years the lens that made the Leica name famous worldwide, the 50mm f/3.5 collapsible Elmar lens was recomput

Posted Images

whoa- 6 pages for the Red Scale Elmar! I can't add much- excpet to say I found this red scale Elmar at the bottom of a box at a fleamarket- I paid $5 AUD for it- my greatest ever leica Coup: