Changing thread size on Type D Leitz Ball Head

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just bought another Leitz table tripod. It has a type D ball head. My older version has a type B ball head. On my older one to change from a ⅜" thread to a ¼" thread, you just unscrew the top knurled sleeve and reverse the disc underneath, which has a ⅜" male thread in the middle of the disc on one side and a ¼" male thread in the middle of the disc on the other side, then screw the knurled sleeve back on, which firmly locks the disc in place. The disc has a notch in the side, which locates on a lug to prevent it turning. 

For reasons best known to them, Leitz has changed this simple and effective method to something else. On the picture below, the sleeve marked Part A screws onto the main shaft of Part B just above the cross bar. A ¼" threaded spigot then passes through a loose ⅜" threaded adaptor, Part C, inside the main sleeve, Part A (you can see it poking out of the bottom of Part A). The adapter is prevented from turning within Part A by means of a steel key. I feel that the ⅜" adapter should be able to be turned when pushed down into the body of part A, so that just the ¼" threaded spigot appears above the platform on which the camera sits. 

Has anyone any experience of these Type D ball heads and am I trying to make it do something it cannot do. I feel given that they have made both a ¼" and ⅜" threaded parts, it must be designed to be alterable. 

Wilson (puzzled  :huh: )

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wlaidlaw

Wilson,

Just try to screw in one of your camera with 3/8" female thread, it would be secured.

Unmount the 3/8" camera.

Then try to mount one of your camera with 1/4" female thread, when screwing in the outer part will retract inside.

Second version of genius Leitz ball head,

;)

your 1/4" camera would be secured with the 3/8" size with 1/4" size inside.

I think that you wanted 14121, one with reversible threads like this :

http://www.summilux.net/aide/index.php?mot=14121

2015_9_21_1741_00001.jpg

Credit a.noctilux

Edited by a.noctilux

The 3/8" adapter should have just pushed down out of the way to reveal the 1/4" screw but didn't. There was a small amount of surface rust on the steel key inside sleeve A, that was jamming the adapter in the up position. Once I had scraped the small amount of surface rust off, and applied the miracle cure-every-ill of WD40, all worked as it should. Many thanks for the help folks. I now have one of each type of ball head, working properly. 

Wilson

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The same is true for the bottom thread as it is, too, spring-loaded and will be pushed in, so you can change from a ⅜" thread to a ¼" thread as well.

I hope this helps.

Genius, indeed.

I don't think mine had been used for many years, which is why they had stuck solid. Both sets now sliding as they should.