Leica M10 support on Capture One Pro 10.2

Overgaard

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It would be really good to post some examples of what’s being described, such as OOC jpg vs C1v11 M10 profile vs Lightroom M10 profile vs neutral or default profiles etc etc.

Some of this is subjective or in the eye of the beholder, but it would be a shame if C1’s M10 profile had gone backwards. Perhaps (as suggested) they’ve just been lazy and copied the M240 profile not accounting for the new and different sensor in the M10, but that wouldn’t explain the difference between v9 and v11.

Edited by Simon
  • Like 1

I am happy with C1's processing of M10 DNG's. I am just recovering from cataract surgery on both eyes so am struggling a bit at present. However I will try to post some daylight shots I did yesterday. I consider they need minimal PP, just to restore/reduce contrast a bit, at times.

• Like 1

Today I received an email from Phase One announcing a update (C1 v11.1,0) and downloaded it.  The release notes show new support for quite a few Leica Cameras and new support for the lenses, 90M Summicron and 90M Elmarit.  It therefore seems they are paying some attention to Leica profiles and one would hope they reviewed the M10 Generic Profile.  I do not have a copy of c1 v9, and I do not discriminate subtle differences in color well, but to me the Generic DNG and M10 Generic from the new 11.1.0 look pretty much the same as those from 10.1 and 11.0.  I'll be interested to hear the opinions of others with better skills.

CaptureOne now has fairly good coverage for Leica M bodies and lenses. It is not entirely perfect - some of the lens distortion profiles look a bit off (35mm Summilux), but generally it works well.

On the profile issue with the M10, I wonder if this is just a question of also setting the appropriate curve (under the ICC profile). The colours look great to me - although I do not shoot jpg.

The only issue that I have with CO and Leica at the moment is the highlight recovery. This tends to introduce cyan/yellow colour casts when there is an area of burned out sky. Other software (eg DXO) does this vastly better, although CO’s other features mean that I have stuck with it regardless.

I am happy with C1's processing of M10 DNG's. I am just recovering from cataract surgery on both eyes so am struggling a bit at present. However I will try to post some daylight shots I did yesterday. I consider they need minimal PP, just to restore/reduce contrast a bit, at times.

I hope the surgery went well. I will also have to do this eventually, and not without a little trepidation!

I hope the surgery went well. I will also have to do this eventually, and not without a little trepidation!

Thank you. It did go well. FYI, it is a quick process and totally painless. The improvement in color vision and brightness is amazing. I can now begin to use a RF with confidence again. Also, night vision is improved.

Worth noting: Your new lenses will be set for distance vision and you cannot 'pull focus' with your eyes. You will need glasses for reading and computer screen.

Attached are the promised daylight shots with the M10 using C1 Ver 11. Overcast and full sun, which will be obvious.

Minimal adjustments for Black point and White only, which is always necessary with DNG's IMO.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Similar location on another day but with full sunlight. Minimal adjustments as before.

(Image slightly front focused, with 135mm lens.)

General shot of person and environs in normal daylight.

I hope these three images are useful or indicative of the M10 processed with C1 ver 11.

The profile used was C1's M10 Generic.

CaptureOne now has fairly good coverage for Leica M bodies and lenses. It is not entirely perfect - some of the lens distortion profiles look a bit off (35mm Summilux), but generally it works well.

On the profile issue with the M10, I wonder if this is just a question of also setting the appropriate curve (under the ICC profile). The colours look great to me - although I do not shoot jpg.

The only issue that I have with CO and Leica at the moment is the highlight recovery. This tends to introduce cyan/yellow colour casts when there is an area of burned out sky. Other software (eg DXO) does this vastly better, although CO’s other features mean that I have stuck with it regardless.

I have been using Capture One for years with Leica Cameras. I went to Europe for 5 weeks in 2017 with an early release M10 camera. In those days, there was a generic M10 profile or a generic DNG profile in C1, I don't remember which. I edited my pictures easily and they looked great. I had total control of the images as usual.

Now since upgrading to C1 11.xx I looked at the European pictures again. Under Base Profile for each picture there is now a choice to use the Cap One ver 10 engine, (maintaining my current look) or utilizing the C1 Ver 11 engine with the new M10 profile. I tried the new profile on  few pictures and it is much better. 

I have since re-graded all of the European pictures because the the new profile is better than the old one, but the old one was fine. The new profile just looks better with no extra corrections needed. But I was always able to achieve what I needed to with the old profile. 

Where can one find the new, non-generic camera profile for the Leica M-10 in CI 11.1? I upgraded yesterday, looked under "Base Characteristics" in the Color Tab. For the M-10 and the SL all I can see on the list are generic versions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Under 'Base Characteristics', choose 'Color', look for ICC Profile (which possibly shows Generic) and click the 'Up/Down' arrows and a dropdown list will appear. Choose 'Leica', select the sub list to find M10. Done.

I agree, C1 navigation is not the most intuitive but once you work it out it is great.

My version on Capture One (the latest), only presents M10 Generic as an option. 

That is the option you want for the M10. If you click on it, you will see other (brand) options of course, but you don't want them.

The up down arrows are very tiny (typical C1) on the right of the window that shows M10 Generic (or whatever you may have selected).

Since you have the 'M10 Generic' showing, you are right to go!

And another option under the ICC Profile is the choice of curve, users should check which they are applying, it is Auto by Default, that has a profound effect on the image as presented. 

Some photographers, especially those going B/W, prefer to use the Linear and apply a custom curve using Luminosity, that can then be saved as a custom preset and applied to all images as required.

If you move down the options you will note the profound effect of the choice on the image and on the histogram.

When Leica started with the M8 a Leica specific version of C1, then V3.7, was included with purchase, IMHO Leica made a mistake in not maintaining that close collaboration, Sony have not made that mistake.

Edited by chris_livsey
  • Like 1

I have always used the Linear Curve. It gives the greatest range, it seems, for later fine adjustment.

I agree, more work but a "better" final result, does depend on the individual image, sometimes I work for a while from linear on a frame then look at the film curve or auto and find I've fought hard to get the same result as a single click.

• Like 1

I agree, more work but a "better" final result, does depend on the individual image, sometimes I work for a while from linear on a frame then look at the film curve or auto and find I've fought hard to get the same result as a single click.

Something silly inside me says, "yes but I did it", not the software. :p

I think it's called satisfaction.

And another option under the ICC Profile is the choice of curve, users should check which they are applying, it is Auto by Default, that has a profound effect on the image as presented. 

Some photographers, especially those going B/W, prefer to use the Linear and apply a custom curve using Luminosity, that can then be saved as a custom preset and applied to all images as required.

If you move down the options you will note the profound effect of the choice on the image and on the histogram.

When Leica started with the M8 a Leica specific version of C1, then V3.7, was included with purchase, IMHO Leica made a mistake in not maintaining that close collaboration, Sony have not made that mistake.

Sony was not in the race for the favours of Hasselblad ... ;)