Leica M10 support on Capture One Pro 10.2

Overgaard

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The new Capture One Pro 10.2 just released and has support Leica M10, Leica M-P and Leica M Monochrom as well as a number of Leica M lenses.

You can get a free 30 day trial download here:

Capture One Pro 10.2 free download

Also there is profiles for these lenses now:

Leica Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH

Leica Summilux-M 21mm f1.4 ASPH

Leica Summilux-M 24mm f/1.4 ASPH

Leica Super-Elmar-M 18mm f3.8 ASPH

Leica Super-Elmar-M 21mm f/3.4 ASPH

Leica Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH

• Like 2

Ironically I've just completed their on line survey and stated that updating its Leica lens profiles is way overdue. Glad they listened!

Now, if only they'd include the 35 and 50 'lux....... these are the main lenses I use.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica Monochrom or M246? They have supported the MM1 for a long time but have not acknowledged the M246.

It's nice to have support for more than just the 50 Summicron, so that's good.

I'll import some M246, M9 and other files later today and see what it supports with what. As far as I know, the M9/CCD M Monochrom was supported since long ago, but I haven't tested ever in C1.

• Like 1

Well the Monochrom (246) is supported now, when I imported an image it automatically got an profile named 'Leica M Monochrome neutral' assigned. I did not see much difference between it and the DNG Profile but it was only one image.

C1 processed:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

The new Capture One Pro 10.2 just released and has support Leica M10, Leica M-P and Leica M Monochrom as well as a number of Leica M lenses.

It seems the M10 profile is an exact copy of the M240 V2 profile.

Thorsten are you using C1 now?

One improvement I've found with the new version is that they have corrected a white balance problem involving nighttime sodium lighted scenes. I had contacted C1 support a few months ago and sent them a sample problem image.  These type images now work fine in this new version.

C1 has processed M10 files as long as there have been M10s, but the support was unofficial and unacknowledged.  I have been using it all along, and have been happy with it  I expect the changes to make this official support will be small.

I loaded up some files with the 21/3.4 and the 21/1.4 lenses, to see what corrections the lens profiles offered.  There is something for Chromatic aberration, but no distortion corrections.  (Because there is essentially no distortion?)  It will take longer to see if there are color profile differences.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

Is anyone else having this problem with 10.2 and M10 files:  When I open my previous catalog from 10.1 which has M10 files that were processed using dng neutral and with "Include existing adjustments" selected upon import - the 10.2 program starts reprocessing all the M10 files and leaving them with washed out color. That is - it seems to redefine what dng neutral looks like. If I go in by hand and change the ICC profile to M10 the color returns. Or if I import new M10 files using the M10 ICC all is fine. But this will mean that I have to go into the thousands of M10 shots and change their ICC profile. 

• Like 1

Yes, the desaturation when you use the "DNG neutral" profile is obvious. Besides the fact that they use one identical profile under the names of "M240 generic v. 2" and "M10 generic" it is the second cause to leave C 1 alone - which I regret.

Did anybody try if the strong desaturation in thr DNG neutral profile happens as well when you use files from other cameras? Or is it an issue only for M10 files?

• Like 1

I'm coming from a M8 and M-E and have had an M10 for about a week.

I've always loved the way C1 has dealt with the older leicas but I'm really struggling in certain circumstances with the M10.  I'm not sure if it's just me getting used to it's look, the CMOS sensor approach or C1.  But I am finding in scenes with the main subject in low contrast with dappled hot highlights in BG, it's doing some strange non-linear things in highlights.  In very near whites there's a kind of impurity or almost banding in clipping that tends to cyan / pinkish.  It's only happened in a few scenes and I find opening those files in another application like phocus seems to do a better job of dealing with those images and doesn't pollute the highlights in the same way.  

It feels like what happens in a low bit depth image.  It's not all shooting, but in a few shots out of hundreds.  I was hoping that this version of C1 would deal with this, but it seems it's a cursory acknowledgement of the M10.  I'm looking forward to re-processing those images when I get a chance.

JB

• 7 months later...

Yes, the desaturation when you use the "DNG neutral" profile is obvious. Besides the fact that they use one identical profile under the names of "M240 generic v. 2" and "M10 generic" it is the second cause to leave C 1 alone - which I regret.

Did anybody try if the strong desaturation in thr DNG neutral profile happens as well when you use files from other cameras? Or is it an issue only for M10 files?

I realise this is an old-ish thread... but I have had exactly the same issue that was mentioned in some of the above posts. 

I used to use Capture One v.9 ("C1v.9"), and the 'DNG Neutral' profile worked very well with M10 files.  Now, using Capture One v.11 ("C1v.11"), this profile looks awful and de-saturated using the DNG Neutral profile. And the "Leica M10 Generic" profile is also awful, compared to the way the "DNG Neutral profile" used to work...

"Leica M10 Generic" profile vs "DNG Neutral" profile:

The named "Leica M10 Generic" profile in C1v.11 is much inferior to the "DNG Neutral" profile in C1v.9.  Not only are the colours using the M10 Generic profile in C1v.11 too saturated (which would be easily correctable if that were the only issue), but they are a bit odd: darker blues shift too far to magenta/purple, and skin tones often take on a pink hue.  I have seen this with pictures taken in vastly different lighting conditions - from daylight sun, to cloudy, to flash, to indoors with (low) available light.

Problems with the DNG Neutral profile in Capture One v.11 vs v.9:

The problem is that, as mentioned above, the DNG Neutral profile seems to have gone rapidly downhill in C1v.11.  The colours don't match the C1v.9 process even when the saturation slider is increased.  I even tried copying across the C1v.9 'DNG Neutral' profile file (.icm file) to C1v.11 and applying that, but it looks the same. 

Interestingly, in C1v.11, if I view M10 DNG files that were previously processed in C1v.9 (with the "Engine" still selected as "Capture One 9" in the "Base Characteristics" tool), these also look desaturated and washed out.  Very odd - given the very same file looks fine if I go back and open it in C1v.9.

Attempts to correct colours for the M10 in C1v.11:

Indeed the colours in the JPEGs produced by the M10 are much better than either profile option in C1v.11.   But I have found it extremely difficult in C1v.11 to try to match them for DNG file processing, even approximately. (Have tried the following tools in C1v.11 without success: white balance; colour balance; colour editor  (both basic and advanced); and even tweaking the separate R, G and B curves - looking at a JPG file as a reference and sampling RGB colours, and trying to match in the equivalent DNG file.)

I would rather not go back to C1v.9, having paid to upgrade to v.11, and wanting to use some of the newer features etc. ... but this is all quite annoying.

Does anyone have any thoughts on using C1v.11 with M10 files in light of the above?  For example, has anyone tried creating their own C1v.11 colour profile for M10 DNG files?  (I think I saw something from Adan on this topic in another thread a while ago, but I don't think I've seen anyone post any actual files or C1 settings...)

Many thanks!

Does anyone have any thoughts on using C1v.11 with M10 files in light of the above?  For example, has anyone tried creating their own C1v.11 colour profile for M10 DNG files?  (I think I saw something from Adan on this topic in another thread a while ago, but I don't think I've seen anyone post any actual files or C1 settings...)

Many thanks!

I have the same issue. It’s so bad that I now bring my Fuji travel long because it’s a hassle to get the M10 colours to look good. The only quick solution I’ve found is to dial up the saturation and add +9 contrast. I think it would be good for both of us to file a support case. The profile is especially bad with night pictures. The white balance is totally different than the JPEG.

• Like 1

Has anyone compared C1 to Lightroom for M10 files using the new Lightroom color profiles?  I have both programs and will be comparing them myself over the next few weeks and will report back, but at first glance I really am liking the new Lightroom "Color" neutral profile.  In fact I am preferring it to the Lightroom M10 profile, which to me looks a bit too too yellow/warm.  I had been planning to use C1 for initial raw conversion of my M10 files but when Adobe released the new color profiles I thought I would reassess that decision (which I am doing now).