Dead External Hard Drive

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been using external hard drives for years, and one died on me, it won't turn on.  I tried the "putting it in the freezer" for ten hours trick, to no avail.  I went to Staples to their tech dept. and was told it could cost up to $1200. to recover the files.  Is this insane or what?  Any suggestions?  Thankfully, I had almost all my photo files on another external hard drive, but not all of them. 

Cheers!

Wilfredo,from now on, why not store your most recent files on an internal drive, backed up rotationally on external drives stored in scattered places in case of fire or theft?

I'm going to start doing that. Managing files has gotten very complicated.  This is when I appreciate the good old days of Negatives. LOL

• Like 1

I had a similar problem.  The power supply in the external enclosure failed, but the drive was fine.  I took the  drive out and access it now using a Hard Drive dock .  I use this one, but there are other choices.

https://www.startech.com/HDD/Docking/usb-3-esata-docking-station~SDOCKU33EF

Now, rather than having multiple external drives for backup, I use bare drives in the dock.  I store the drives in HD cases, (much like VHS tape cases) that fit the drives and provide for labeling.

• Like 1

I am also paranoid about external storage.  I have recently purchased a Drobo, and have started loading it up.  I use ChronoSync to create bootable backups of my SSD, one at home and one at work.  Also off site backups of all photos and iTunes stuff.  Time Machine goes to the Drobo.

One Drobo is not enough because the Drobo box itself can fail.  (The same is true of any RAID.)  The drives inside the Drobo are not readable by themselves because of the file system that is used.  Drobo RAIDs are easier to reconstitute than regular RAIDS.   So as David says you need a third copy of everything you can't live without that is kept off-site.

$1200 to recover what can be recovered from a failed hard drive is not outrageous.  It is a very labor intensive process.

3-2-1

You need three copies of your data, on at least two separate devices, and one which is offsite.

The bit which often trips people up is actually performing the backup as frequently as possible. The last week's work that you haven't got round to backing up yet is usually the work that you need now! Automating the backup is the only safe way.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

This is only one minor, perhaps irrelevant experience.

Western Digital drives in the 90's had the wrong lubricant in their spindle bearings.

Turning them on followed by a 'thump' with an open palm got them going long enough for a new backup.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

What question are people providing answers to? The OP clearly states the disc won't switch on. I can understand treating it as a write only forum when we are exchanging opinions (after all, who really cares what other people think?) but a tread started with a problem description and a call for advice needs to be read.

...The OP clearly states the disc won't switch on. ....

There are many things the TO did not state and which don't follow from a disk not turning on. Attaching the disk drive to another controller, using different cables and a different power supply might be helpful. But then, it might not.

• 2 weeks later...

It's often the interface between the drive and the computer. Either the usb componentry (most often) or the power supply.

Crack it open and plug the SATA drive directly into a port in your computer. Or get a Sata Drive Caddy.

The only other method is taking the platters out and reading them by other means - which is expensive as you have found out.

Edit - Oh others have already suggested it.

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's often the interface between the drive and the computer. Either the usb componentry (most often) or the power supply.

Crack it open and plug the SATA drive directly into a port in your computer. Or get a Sata Drive Caddy.

The only other method is taking the platters out and reading them by other means - which is expensive as you have found out.

Edit - Oh others have already suggested it.

Will give this a go.  Thanks!