What I miss from M9 in my M10

evikne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have recently switched from M9 to M10, and there are many things I love with my new camera that I do not miss from the previous. I do not miss the shutter sound of the M9 that sounded like a rusty slinky. The M10 sounds more like a nice hairdressing scissors – snip, snip :-) The M10 is slimmer and the grip is better. And I don't miss the noisy images from anything above ISO 800. But nevertheless, there is something inexplicable with the pictures from the M9 that I miss. They were in a way more analog, more real, the colors were warmer. Maybe I can call it the "texture". The pictures from my M10 are perhaps a little too perfect? Maybe they are too smooth and polished, just as from most other modern cameras?

I'd love to find a way to make the pictures look more like what I got from the M9, so I had the best of both worlds, at least some times. But I haven't yet figured out exactly what it is. Is it the colors, the contrast, or something else? Should I add some noise? Is it possible whatsoever with the Lightroom tools to get something similar?

Do others miss anything else?

• Like 3

Personally, I think, it is combination of CCD sensor and Leica lens. I used to have tiny Lumix P&S with CCD sensor and Leica zoom. It was close to what you are talking about. Very special rendering. Lost this Lumix and replaced with another CCD P&S, but without Leica lens and it is not even close. Also non-Leica lenses on CCD M cameras seems to not give the effect you are talking about. At least for my eyes.

• Like 3

more than any other differences it's the CCD sensor versus the CMOS.

There's a look the CCD gives that for me a CMOS cannot replicate, at least not right out of the camera anyway.

I own and use in my work a few digital cinema cameras, most have CMOS sensors, one has a CCD sensor and here too there's a difference in imaging that I can see and prefer. For me a CCD sensor is more "filmic" and having decades of experience in using film in both stills and cinema work I can appreciate the difference, for others with perhaps less film "history" I would imagine that they are quite happy enough with the CMOS sensors, and why not.

But now it's really a case of no choice because now there's no manufacturer as far as I know using CCD's in either motion picture or still cameras, why that is I'm not sure but it has to be a combination of technical and cost reasons plus the advantage that CMOS sensors have in regards to sensitivity range. 

Perhaps that's one reason why the M9, and even the M8, cameras are still holding their used prices quite well, their image quality is still sought after despite the problems that the sensors had in regards to the corrosion issue. As I said in the previous post my MM1 is a keeper and who knows I may even be tempted to try to find a M9 at some time.

- why is everbody complaining about the M9 shutter Sound. I find it remarkably soft. I like it much more than the thin M10 sound.

Nothing wrong with the shutter sound, its the wheezy re-cocking sound which is so awful.

But I do agree that there is something special in the M9 files at base ISO, reminiscent of slide film. I also appreciate that the start-up and wake-up times are quicker than for the M10. For these and other reasons I decided (at least for time being) to keep my M9 to use alongside the M10.

• Like 4

Nothing wrong with the shutter sound, its the wheezy re-cocking sound which is so awful.

But I do agree that there is something special in the M9 files at base ISO, reminiscent of slide film. I also appreciate that the start-up and wake-up times are quicker than for the M10. For these and other reasons I decided (at least for time being) to keep my M9 to use alongside the M10.

True. So do I.

• Like 1

Yes, different sensor technology, CCD vs CMOS. You'll figure it out how to massage it in which ever direction you care to after a while.

Maybe I am asking too much but i am very much interested to see the photo of the same object made with the same exposure parameters by m9 and m10. Such comparison will give possibility to understand the reason of this discussion for those who own only m10 as I do.

... nevertheless, there is something inexplicable with the pictures from the Leica M9 that I miss. They were in a way more analog, more real, the colors were warmer. Maybe I can call it the "texture". [...]

This topic has been discussed to death before ...

I'd love to find a way to make the pictures look more like what I got from the M9 ...

Simple. Just add a very small amount of noise (or film grain) to the CMOS image.

• Like 3

Maybe I am asking too much but i am very much interested to see the photo of the same object made with the same exposure parameters by m9 and m10. Such comparison will give possibility to understand the reason of this discussion for those who own only m10 as I do.

Somehow I get the feeling that the reason for this discussion is nostalgia ;)

• Like 5

How about taking a picture with your M10, printing it A3 and then taking a picture of that with an M7 and then scanning the neg?

Honestly I don't understand the whole CMOS v CCD (I used to have an M9) thing. I am no expert but isn't the only difference the way in which the data is read from the sensor? Or is there more going on?

I liked my M9 images very much but I like my M10 images just as much.

• Like 4

I have never used film cameras before, so I am not sure if I can call it nostalgia. But it was reassuring to hear that I am not alone with this feeling. So I assume that I am not mad.  :p

• Like 2

I fear the comparison will start and end with a lot of detracting technical details. There is the difference between 18 and 24 MP. ISO settings for both cameras are not identical etc.

Each detail may lead someone to say: If you had done it someway different, you'd see it.  

Edited by UliWer
  • Like 2

In regard to the shutter sound: I'd be happy if M-9 made the fairly silent swish of my M-3. I don't think this is nostalgia; hmmm.... on second thought I will readily concede it is part nostalgia. I do not have an M-10 yet. Regards, Ron

Edited by Ronazle
  • Like 2