Do Hasselblad mulitple price drops threaten the S system

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Given how large the throat and body of the SL are, I wonder if there is a thought by Leica, to offering a larger than 24 x 36 sensor version of the SL at some point. If the lenses had a larger circle of coverage than the 43.2mm diameter of standard 35mm, might go some way to explaining their size. It would not be a camera for everybody and I think they would still need to offer a 24 x 36 version with say 34MP and a larger sensor version with 50MP. If the SL lenses don't have the coverage, then SL mount versions of the S lenses could be sold. 

Wilson

That's a really interesting thought. Has anyone compared the throat dimensions of the S and the SL?

I just revisited a 4x5 lens to consider what a mirrorless small aperture lens might look like.

It's a normal lens, the rodenstock 150mm f5.6 HR Digaron. It's 51mm / 2" diameter and 58mm / 2 1/4" in length. 250 gm. This is not counting the bigger diameter of the leaf shutter mechanism. That's really small and lightweight compared to the S lenses who does have the weight of AF and CS mechanisms built in.

It's not a good comparison I guess but I think a mirrorless S camera with a range of f4.5 - 5.6 lenses might be compact and economical enough a proposition to meet many niche needs.

Will such a range of lenses need CS mechanisms which will increase the size and weight? Or AF even? A range of small aperture mechanical lenses might be easier for Leica to market.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here in China, a X1D + 45mm lens set is about 10 something K USD (68000rmb), which is cheaper than a 007 body only, and it has ability to use almost any other lens on the market now that the firmware has electronic Shutter, and given the S abysmal reliability issue, and the sale rate, it's not looking too good for the system, unless leica S008 is a huge revelation of what they offer now. Focusing on sensor is really the future as it guarantee no front/back focus issue...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

given the S abysmal reliability issue.

Which one would that be? The AF issue is in the past. I have not heard of a common issue with the body. People here have mentioned some issues on specific bodies (as they would on any brand forum), but nothing systemic.

I have shot tens of thousands of frames in the past year with no problems. That's hardly abysmal.

• Like 1

Which one would that be? The AF issue is in the past. I have not heard of a common issue with the body. People here have mentioned some issues on specific bodies (as they would on any brand forum), but nothing systemic.

I have shot tens of thousands of frames in the past year with no problems. That's hardly abysmal.

You said it... in the past... so abysmal it was, and only recently they acknowledge what a abysmal quality they have by replacing all the AF component to their abysmal design in terms of material specs or component specs. Just admit it is abysmal is not a bad thing. Not admitting it IS a bad bad bad thing.

Anyway, I have owned 2 006 and 007 and 6 lens. only 2 lens and the first 006 body has no issue, the rest, has sensor issue, AF motor issue and aperture issue, and also the bloody 007 DoF not working properly issue.... that's about 60~70% of my gear in limbo in about 40~50% of time... so, abysmal or not?

You are the lucky one I guess. 

I do hope S will recover from this and become a good system as it should have been. I still remember the first time using it and the joy it gave me. But it is a terribly unreliable machine.

Edited by xiaubauu2009

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Effective May 1, the S007 will increase $1045 to $19,995 in the US. It should be interesting to see what Leica announces in June, as indicated by Dr. Kaufmann on LuLa (opportunity for L mount).

Jeff

And I got an email from the Aus hasselblad distributor today. An X1D and 45mm is half the price of a 007 body.....

Gordon

I cannot imagine that anyone is buying an S007 for 19995. Anyone who wants one these days is likely already in the system, and I think demos and trade ins etc...all seem to wind up a bit more than half that. I am a big supporter of Leica and the S system, but I think 20,000 dollars for the 007 in 2018 is a pipe dream. 

• Like 1

I wonder if the S lenses could image over a larger sensor size than 33x44?

I really enjoy using the X1D, but if Leica could push the sensor size higher it might help differentiate them from the Fuji, Pentax, X1D group.

I also wonder if it’s only a matter of time until Nikon or Canon enter the Mini MF market. Given their strong user bases and somewhat blank canvass to come to market with new mirrorless offerings that could shake things up.

Interesting times.

The S is already distinguished to some degree by its 3:2 aspect ratio (45x30) compared to the other 4:3 mini MF formats. Lens coverage depends in part on whether Leica retains this distinction.

Fuji might make more waves if the rumored rangefinder style GFX comes to market.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I cannot imagine that anyone is buying an S007 for 19995. Anyone who wants one these days is likely already in the system, and I think demos and trade ins etc...all seem to wind up a bit more than half that. I am a big supporter of Leica and the S system, but I think 20,000 dollars for the 007 in 2018 is a pipe dream. 

Are you new to this forum? Didn't you know one isn't welcome here to criticize Leica's price policy.

The S is already distinguished to some degree by its 3:2 aspect ratio (45x30) compared to the other 4:3 mini MF formats. Lens coverage depends in part on whether Leica retains this distinction.

Fuji might make more waves if the rumored rangefinder style GFX comes to market.

Jeff

confirmed for announcement in September!!! Just hope the make the body not as ugly as the GFX. Take cue from Hasselblad XPAN/Fujifilm TX-2

• Like 1

Well, it's logical for people that has heavy investment in the lens. Cause they have no choice.

I disagree. I have an S2, S006 and six lenses. I have not bought an S007 and would not likely do so unless it was sub 10,000 USD, because it does not offer a huge advance over the S006 in my workflow, and in some ways is a step back (less long exposure, CMOS colors and lower per pixel sharpness etc). They made the 006 too well, and (in my opinion) changed things that did not need to be improved at the expense of things that should have been improved. I do not claim to speak for anyone else, I primarily work in art photography, and image quality and color at base ISO are more important than speed or CMOS features. Live view is great, and I would love to have it, but 37mp is simply too low for a medium format camera in 2018...it has been at 37mp for 10 years, which is the lowest resolution flagship camera in ANY professional system...Phase One, Hasselblad, Fuji, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax...they all outresolve the S with a good lens.  In large prints I am only getting 120dpi from a 1mx1.5m print, without any cropping. The prints look very good, but they could look even better. The lenses are capable of far more. I would have much preferred if they had made the camera 50-60mp and extended the long exposure time and base ISO quality, rather than make it shoot more frames per second. People don't shoot medium format for speed, they do it for image quality. I think Leica missed the ball by trying to make a prestige fashion camera (look at their marketing and the S magazine) instead of focusing on what they do best, which is image quality and ergonomics. The apparently dire state of the S system means that at least some people agree with me. In 2008 the S2 was a genuine revolution. In 2018 the S007 body is out of date in most aspects that a person buying a extremely expensive MF digital camera might want. Don't get me wrong, it IS a great camera, but it does not compare well to the flagship offerings of its competitors, especially at the price point they have chosen. Again, this is just for me. I am a contrarian on this, and I think most S users do not share my views. 

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 3