S2 upgrade

Daedalus2000

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of upgrading my S2 camera. I see 3 options, go to S006, S007 or switch completely to the Fuji GFX (for the price difference of course)

The things I love about the S2 is the image quality and the colours I get, but I would like a body that can handle situations with low light, like takings portraits with natural light indoors. 

What would be your recommendation? Is there a strong reason not to move to Fuji GFX (I have never handled one)?

Thanks

Hasselblad X1D?

Thanks for the suggestion but no. One of the benefits of the S system is the ability to use other lenses as well (Mamiya,  Hassy V system etc). I do not think you can do that with the X1D. Also it is quite expensive when you compare it to the Fuji system. When I first handled it I found the shutter sound very loud and the overall operation was a bit buggy, but it was probably early firmware. 

I would take the Fuji - excellent quality at reasonable  price and already available enough lenses and other useful things. Only thing I do not like so very much is the synchronisation time with the flash light. But that is not so important for everyone.

Edited by HeinzX
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for the suggestion but no. One of the benefits of the S system is the ability to use other lenses as well (Mamiya,  Hassy V system etc). I do not think you can do that with the X1D. Also it is quite expensive when you compare it to the Fuji system. When I first handled it I found the shutter sound very loud and the overall operation was a bit buggy, but it was probably early firmware. 

The X1D now has an electronic shutter so lens adaptors will be on their way. I am also using the XC and XCD lenses with the Hasselblad adaptor. Firmware still has its moments but is much improved.

Gordon

• Like 2

You aware of this? 

https://blog.mingthein.com/2017/08/24/e-shutter-firmware-for-the-hasselblad-x1d/#more-15856

The X1D is a jewel that is currently being polished

The GFX is a brick that will stay a brick an cannot be polished.

This is my personal opinion!

Edited by satijntje
  • Like 1

What would be your recommendation? Is there a strong reason not to move to Fuji GFX (I have never handled one)?

Depending upon your viewfinder preferences, a very strong reason not to move to the GFX might be that camera's EVF. A colleague and I recently hired the Fuji for a day to compare with the S system which we use to photograph artworks in a studio setting. We actually used it via tethered live view for the important stuff but we also both played around with the camera handheld using the EVF. The files are superb but I was unimpressed with the EVF. In truth, I am quite biased in that I don't like any EVFs (including the famed one in the SL) but it's worth bearing in mind that the EVF of the Fuji is not a patch on the rather fine optical finder that you might be used to with the S2.

Yes, thank you, that is actually what made me think of upgrading, and although I live in the UK I found out that a similar upgrade offer is valid here, but it does not seem to be advertised a lot...

The X1D now has an electronic shutter so lens adaptors will be on their way. I am also using the XC and XCD lenses with the Hasselblad adaptor. Firmware still has its moments but is much improved.

Gordon

I read about the electronic shutter but I did not pay much attention because it takes 0.3 seconds to read the whole sensor and I thought this will make it difficult to use in many situations

You aware of this? 

https://blog.mingthein.com/2017/08/24/e-shutter-firmware-for-the-hasselblad-x1d/#more-15856

I agree that the X1D look beautiful and is an interesting proposition, but (for me) it is too much money for what it offers at the moment. Maybe I will go for the second version!  :)

Depending upon your viewfinder preferences, a very strong reason not to move to the GFX might be that camera's EVF. A colleague and I recently hired the Fuji for a day to compare with the S system which we use to photograph artworks in a studio setting. We actually used it via tethered live view for the important stuff but we also both played around with the camera handheld using the EVF. The files are superb but I was unimpressed with the EVF. In truth, I am quite biased in that I don't like any EVFs (including the famed one in the SL) but it's worth bearing in mind that the EVF of the Fuji is not a patch on the rather fine optical finder that you might be used to with the S2.

Very good point, I will have to try one to see if I like it. I like my S2 OVF but I also like my SL EVF, so I think I can be flexible (as long as the EVF does not lag...)

The S2 is probably worth most in the trade-in/up programs. I got mine from a Leica dealer at a price you'd go pale. How many lenses do you have and why do you want to swap now? Not a good point in time to unload S2 gear.

To be honest I would only give my S2 away for an upgrade to another S body, otherwise I would just keep it and add a second body. It may be cheap now, but it has given me some of my best images. I love it, I just want a bit more flexibility in low light situations. I have the 70, 35 and 120 lenses 

• Like 2

I read about the electronic shutter but I did not pay much attention because it takes 0.3 seconds to read the whole sensor and I thought this will make it difficult to use in many situations

It will be difficult in some situations. 300ms is a long time. The Fuji is 250ms. Also long but a bit better. Neither are close to the readout on 35mm sensors.

I'd really REALLY love to be able to adapt my S lenses to the X1D but to be honest unless it's a fully electronic adaptor I'll just use the Hasselblad XC and HC(D) and be done with it. They're fine lenses. And there's a comprehensive range available.

But there's no doubt that the Fuji will be better for adapting other MF lenses due to the mechanical shutter. It should be said not all of them are up to modern standards. Many are either pretty average or require stopping down a lot. Kind of defeats the purpose of that lovely large sensor, for me. I want the best glass available. That's why I have the S. At least the native Hasselblad glass is stunning. Personally I have zero interest in fudging around with 35mm glass or old "character" lenses.

Now I have a couple of HC lenses I'm going to see if they play nice on the S with the Leica adaptor. 

Gordon

• Like 1

You aware of this? 

I won't go so far as call a X1D a jewel. The camera clearly is an unfinished product and the choice of using leaf shutter only is really not a clever choice. The E-Shutter on the sensor is really not that useful, I will only use it on the GFX only if I absolutely want no vibration when up on Cambo Actus. Most of the time, I avoid it cause I can't always know whether there will be swirling problem or not...

And the octagonal bokeh issue is really really a deal breaker for me at least. They said it can be fix with firmware... by adjusting how the shutter open and closed... I don't know. Looks to me like a really badly design product.

But then again, we are Leica S user, anything that looks good is more important, whether it works or not, we don't give a toss.

Edited by xiaubauu2009
  • Like 1

strange..sure it looks like a brick but it delivers.. i tried it today on the street for 30 min outside the dealers shop...

perfectly fine for street photos..not heavy, not sluggish..no hangups, no crashes..good AF...and very tempting to buy.

and..ACROS yellow is orgasmic

You aware of this?