Heads-up on suspicious eBay Noctilux

M9reno

I was looking to buy an M9 or M240 on ebay and someone had very low listing prices but then says that you need to contact him directly instead of bidding.  There were quite a few listings like this.  What is the story?

Those are all scams. If you contact them they will send you an "invoice" with eBay markings. All fake copying. Do NOT pursue these ads. Report them eBay.

ebay is a joke these days, it's rife with scammers and phishers.

Wouldn’t paint it with such a broad brush. However, some nefarious characters are inexplicably tolerated, like the organized terror groups on Facebook and Twitter, because someone wants to quietly track the sloppier players in the light of day.

Only explanation that makes sense to me.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a list of things I am searching for and every day there is a flood of listings with an auction plus a stupidly low buyitnow price with the only thing in the listing says "email only at this address all bids cancelled"

There are dozens and dozens, sometimes every day and it gets to the point where it's pointless even looking at ebay.

Edited by Paul J

Never purchase outside of eBay. You lose buyer protections from paypal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don’t even communicate with a buyer or seller outside of eBay it is against the rules and invalidates any potential claim if something goes wrong.Contact using eBay messaging so there can be no ambiguity and eBay have a record. I buy and sell on eBay and don’t have any problems. If I am not sure about a procedure or listing I just ask eBay and they “always” respond in a helpful way to ensure things go smoothly. Personally I find eBay very good. Just stick to the rules.

Why a joke? eBay and the Paypal protection have always worked perfectly for me.

Agreed. I have bought and sold Leica cameras and lenses on eBay for about 5 years and have no complaints. I ran into one scam but eBay and PayPal protection resolved the issue timely and with little headache. I trust eBay and PayPal to resolve issues more efficiently than Leica New Jersey. Yikes.

• 3 weeks later...

Same here, no problems if you stick to eBay's rules. They've sorted a couple of issues I've had in the past very helpfully.

FYI guys, the reason it's a bad idea to email outside of the eBay messaging system is that once the scammers have your email address, they will send you fake "payment received notice" for example if you're selling something. If you fall for it and ship what you were selling, you're in trouble. I had someone try this on me, I was selling a Blackmagic cinema camera and they asked me to send them more pictures, claimed they couldn't see the pictures I emailed through eBay and asked me to send them to their email. Right away I got a fake "You got paid" email and they asked me to overnight the item because they were in a rush. Of course I logged into to Paypal, noticed there was no payment, then inspected the email carefully and see it was fake.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Suckers must be born every minute.

This seller has quite a stash of the rarest equipment for sale. All are documented only by one picture. Hundreds of bids are being placed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162785754111

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162785757085

Spain seems to be a common place for the scammers to register. Or maybe it's the same guy.

ebay has become an absolute hovel lately. It's a scammers den.

I just today gave up counting, I found 50 scam hack listings like this one, there are hundreds - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hasselblad-H5D-40-40-0-MP-Body-Only-Mint-Condition-Only-1240-Actuations/372158297302?hash=item56a65cf4d6:g:pKsAAOSwr6FaJnZq

This one is listed as Adorma - a trusted company has been hacked or phished or cloned.

It's out of control.

Edited by Paul J

Why a joke? eBay and the Paypal protection have always worked perfectly for me.

Only had to actually use it once and it worked perfectly. Contacted the a couple of times for advice and found the more than helpful.

ebay has become an absolute hovel lately. It's a scammers den.

I just today gave up counting, I found 50 scam hack listings like this one, there are hundreds - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hasselblad-H5D-40-40-0-MP-Body-Only-Mint-Condition-Only-1240-Actuations/372158297302?hash=item56a65cf4d6:g:pKsAAOSwr6FaJnZq

This one is listed as Adorma - a trusted company has been hacked or phished or cloned.

It's out of control.

Instead of posting on a camera forum why not just report to eBay,If it’s a scam them will soon close the listing.

eBay make listing very easy and fast ,as against vetting every listing for scams,which will be expensive in time and cost.Some get through and it’s easy to report a suspicious listing.If a user is not happy with a listing just ignore it or stop using EBay.Not exactly rocket science.

Instead of posting on a camera forum why not just report to eBay,If it’s a scam them will soon close the listing.

eBay make listing very easy and fast ,as against vetting every listing for scams,which will be expensive in time and cost.Some get through and it’s easy to report a suspicious listing.If a user is not happy with a listing just ignore it or stop using EBay.Not exactly rocket science.

I usually do and have already today but I'm not kidding there are HUNDREDS flooded on there today. It would take hours to report it.

I just looked at Leica M lenses - there are about hundred listings like this, one after the other. And lots of people bidding on them - Again they're supposedly from Adorama.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leica-Noctilux-M-50mm-f1-lens-E60-11821-M2-M7-M8-M9-M9P-Mint-glass-Excellent/391939945531?hash=item5b4170f43b:g:QKoAAOSw-xVaJnTv

Edited by Paul J

I usually do and have already today but I'm not kidding there are HUNDREDS flooded on there today. It would take hours to report it.

I just looked at Leica M lenses - there are about hundred listings like this, one after the other. And lots of people bidding on them - Again they're supposedly from Adorama.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leica-Noctilux-M-50mm-f1-lens-E60-11821-M2-M7-M8-M9-M9P-Mint-glass-Excellent/391939945531?hash=item5b4170f43b:g:QKoAAOSw-xVaJnTv

That one was just removed. Pretty brazen.