Street photography with the Leica S007............anyone??

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Simple question to the owners of the Leica S007. Have you ever taken the Leica S007 out with you for a days shooting street photography. You know the kind of pictures I am talking about.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The above pictures were taken with a SL and Noctilux. I consider my S120mm to be like a Noctilux wide open in daylight but maybe not so good in limited light situations............especially if you need to shoot above ISO1600.

Hopefully someone here can prove me wrong with some street like pictures not only taken in the middle of the day but and night.

Below are a few that I found with my S007

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

A couple I things I have found is that the S007 with any lens is big and as soon as you lift it to your face people get scared, intimidated, shy whereas with say a M or a Sony a7 the camera doesn't stick out so much.

Then you have the issue of carrying a large camera like the S007 with the 120mm lens all day. I must admit that since I got the xxxx sling (can't remember the name of the sling I recently bought but thigh slapper has one) Anyway with that sling walking around with the S is defiantly better than without it.

Anyway please give me some feed back as I have an up and coming trip that I really want to get the best IQ pictures but also get some fun pictures as well

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I have, but an M (even with a Noctilux or 75mm Summilux) is far less obtrusive and not really noticed compared to an S

john

Thats exactly my thinking John. I might have just got over the lugging a big camera around by using that sling (wish I could remember the name of the bloody thing) but at the end of the day your lifting a big camera up and it frightens people off

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Is it really much more obtrusive than an R9? Couldn't it also depend on your mindset inside and attitude outside about the camera you carry?

I have never seen an R9 before........I think before my time. But yes I think you are correct, just like shooting the Spanish bloke above. He was not amused so I kind of rushed the shot and cut his feet off. My better street shots have been taken when I just say f@ck lets go take some pictures and deal with any concentrations as and when they happen :)

Neil

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Fantastic stuff Eril.....thanks for sharing.

How did you carry your camera and spare lenses.............did you find it was a pain in the ass dragging all that heavy gear around??

Neil

Thanks! I did morning and late sessions with the M, and daylight sessions with the S2 and zoom, I did not carry extra lenses. That is the advantage of the zoom, in daylight it covers what you need. Yes, it is a bit heavy, but I have carried it on several occasions/geographies, and find it ok.

Edited by erlingmm

Simple question to the owners of the Leica S007. Have you ever taken the Leica S007 out with you for a days shooting street photography. You know the kind of pictures I am talking about.

The above pictures were taken with a SL and Noctilux. I consider my S120mm to be like a Noctilux wide open in daylight but maybe not so good in limited light situations............especially if you need to shoot above ISO1600.

Hopefully someone here can prove me wrong with some street like pictures not only taken in the middle of the day but and night.

Hi Neil

since gotten my S2, I am trying to compensate for too many landscape in the S image thread with some streetish snaps. Just ... don't have that S007, and haven't been out in the evenings yet with the beast. Normal street works ok with the 2.8/140. Why? Not too large, and comparably lightweight. Will post a low light street, if it happens - then most likely with the 2/80 ...

Maybe the 2/100 is a good one to use.

Cheers

Ivo

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Hi Neil

since gotten my S2, I am trying to compensate for too many landscape in the S image thread with some streetish snaps. Just ... don't have that S007, and haven't been out in the evenings yet with the beast. Normal street works ok with the 2.8/140. Why? Not too large, and comparably lightweight. Will post a low light street, if it happens - then most likely with the 2/80 ...

Maybe the 2/100 is a good one to use.

Cheers

Ivo

Ivo

I will take my Soo7 plus 120mm and try and get some street shot around KL and see how I get on. I'm using a Peak Design sling with the S007 which makes it very comfortable for walking around town :)

Neil

• Like 2

Ivo

I will take my Soo7 plus 120mm and try and get some street shot around KL and see how I get on. I'm using a Peak Design sling with the S007 which makes it very comfortable for walking around town :)

Neil

... but use it without the hood  :rolleyes:

Why........I like the S120mm hood :)

Neil

Then for street choose the camouflage house-to-house-fighting edition ...  :ph34r: Makes invisible. Limited edition, of course. Safari versions are for wimps.

Edited by Photon42

I have used my S extensively but its size makes it a problem at times unless you use the 120mm or 180mm lens and keep your distance. My M is so much easier with a WA or normal lens.

Albert 

• Like 1

more SOUK photography... with a  120 mm lens..

• Like 2