BEOON - enlarger lenses to avoid / recommended (Open thread - please add your experience for benefit of others)

Steve Ricoh

I've been out and have just read the updates. Pop, I will post some photo examples tomorrow; sorry I missed this earlier but I was rushing to an appointment when I typed my earlier response.

For anyone new to BEOON and considering an enlarger lens, I would say be careful, small sample results indicating success are simply that and it can not be guaranteed that the same model of enlarger enlarger lens will work for you. It hasn't for me and I've tried two different lenses, the Schneider Componon S 50 f/2.8 and the El-Nikkor 50 f/2.8N. Neither work for me.

Just tried my first scan with the Beoon: D ring + Focotar-2 lens @f11 and  SL 601 (100 ISO) on timer:

37409701236_a9ed5f2623_b.jpg

Au Gaou by JM__, on Flickr

TriX + Minilux 

Best, JM.

Edited by JMF

Just tried my first scan with the Beoon: D ring + Focotar-2 lens @f11 and  SL 601 (100 ISO) on timer:

< resulting picture shown above >

TriX + Minilux 

Best, JM.

JM, just to clarify, you scanned this with just the D ring? Most BEOON Focotar-2 users scan using rings B,C+D. Have you tried with this set up?

Guest Nowhereman

Just tried my first scan with the Beoon: D ring + Focotar-2 lens @f11...

Jean-Marc - You could also try f/4.5 and f/5.6, as these two apertures are often cited as being the optimum ones for the Focotar-2. I've been using f/5.6, which I felt was better than f/8, which I tested.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jean-Marc - You could also try f/4.5 and f/5.6, as these two apertures are often cited as being the optimum ones for the Focotar-2. I've been using f/5.6, which I felt was better than f/8, which I tested.

That can only indicate that the lens has focus-shift.

Edited by pico

Guest Nowhereman

Not a question of focus shift. There are lots of analyses of the properties of enlargement lenses, including flatness of field. Also reviews of the Focotar-2 do not indicate focus shift. Oh the other hand some people feel this lens starts facing diffraction problems at f/11, although I don't know whether that is really the case.

Edited by Nowhereman

Will try open up a bit, f8 should be fine too. 

As for the rings, I did try various Leica or non Leica rings and  the D ring  suits me fine, the Beoon tower is hardly extended thus sturdier and I still have leeway to focus either on a slide sitting on top of the 1.1 frame or on a negative slightly lower  as the shot shared above.

Now I have to find a way to mechanize my installation, getting a bit faster from one scan to the next and keeping a steady bench with a flat and well placed film .

Quite pleased with the results so far !

23609637548_6ef1c76016_b.jpg

Mistral M3 by JM__, on Flickr

Guest Nowhereman

I took the slides out of their mount because I had mounts of varying width. With the film under the BEOON mask, I simply press down on the mask with two fingers to make sure the film is flat, as the self-timer goes off, 

Will try open up a bit, f8 should be fine too. 

As for the rings, I did try various Leica or non Leica rings and  the D ring  suits me fine, the Beoon tower is hardly extended thus sturdier and I still have leeway to focus either on a slide sitting on top of the 1.1 frame or on a negative slightly lower  as the shot shared above.

Now I have to find a way to mechanize my installation, getting a bit faster from one scan to the next and keeping a steady bench with a flat and well placed film .

Quite pleased with the results so far !

JMF - with the D ring only I expect the negative isn't completely filling the digital frame of the SL 601, am I right? Have you tried using tubes B,C+D together? I would be interested to know if you can focus with B, C and D attatched, and how much BEOON column adjustment you have either side of critical focus.

JMF - with the D ring only I expect the negative isn't completely filling the digital frame of the SL 601, am I right? 

Correct, I have some digital "slack "  outside the negative frame and prefer this so far. 

quote: Have you tried using tubes B,C+D together? I would be interested to know if you can focus with B, C and D attatched, and how much BEOON column adjustment you have either side of critical focus.

Will try adding the 3 together again .

JMF - with the D ring only I expect the negative isn't completely filling the digital frame of the SL 601, am I right? Have you tried using tubes B,C+D together? I would be interested to know if you can focus with B, C and D attatched, and how much BEOON column adjustment you have either side of critical focus.

Steve and Mitch, my apologies... 

just tested again the Focotar 2 lens with SL 601 camera on Beoon  and discovered  I had been using both D + B rings in order to scan the slides on the 1:1 Beoon frame. With some space left  in the digital SL frame outside the 24x36  slide frame .

Fitting D + C will be cutting into the slide, no way to use the 3 rings B, C and D together.

I have various  old Kilfitt "Rezde" L39 rings which I believe were used to fit Kilfitt lenses on the Visoflex and I'm testing my set up now with the Focotar-2 50mm lens and the SL 601 in full frame format:

Measuring D+B = 43mm 

Just found a more accurate rings arrangement  to frame a 24x36 slide fitted on the 1:1 plate and the rings add up to 47mm. No more digital space , the slide is fully filling the SL frame.

A focusing slide came with my complete original Beoon set so my set up is quite accurate.

See "scanned" focusing slide picture below shot with the 47mm long ring attachment.

Mitch, I am using the Leica SL to M adapter  ( just slightly larger than the B ring ) to fit the SL on the Beoon.

Cheers, JM

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by JMF

JMF - I take it that the SL uses an SL-to-M mount converter, which perhaps is of the same size as the C ring — so that you're whole setup is the same length as the B+C+D rings used with an M-camera?

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Mitch, our posts have crossed one another, blame it on the carioca time zone...!

BTW the Focotar-2 lens will take a SOOGZ ring and a 12575 hood will fit nicely to help with flare issues.

Stopping down the Focotar-2 lens to f8 does improve  sharpness on the edges of frame.

Just replaced the SL by the Leica MM ccd to show that the SL to M adapter just compensates for flange distance differences . The slide moved off axis in the process but the focus is still accurate .

See MM shot of the  focusing slide attached.

Best, JM.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by JMF

JMF - With the Leica MM attatched to the BEOON, where you using tubes B+C+D?

No Steve,

I could not use the 3 rings with the Focotar-2 lens, did try, no success.

"Just replaced the SL by the Leica MM ccd", I am  using 2 rings for a total ring length of 47mm which fits the 24x36 slide nicely..

D + B (= 43mm) would work as well with space around the "digitized" slide. 

Just managed to digitize 6x6 slides with the Beoon  using the 60 R Elmarit with A + B rings and the SL 601.

I'll have to do some calculations later, perhaps today. In the meantime: Are you sure yours is a 50mm lens? Can you show a sample with the sprocket holes and so on?

BEOON testing with the Schneider Componon S 50mm f/2.8 with an M240.

I chose this particular negative (taken some time previous during testing of the M6) for the lettering. I apologise for the rotation of the camera relative to the negative carrier which I only noticed after scanning was complete.

First shot taken with a 50mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH, Tubes A+D = 42.8mm.

23647537978_c973977995_b.jpg50 lux ASPH Tubes A+D (#1) by -Steve Ricoh-

Testing with the Componon S to follow.