Lightroom not free for used Leica S buyers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently purchased a used SE and thought that when I registered it with Leica as the owner I would be able to have access to Lightroom but not so. I would be happy to buy a copy of LR outright but am not so happy about having to pay a perennial rental fee. Does anyone know how I can get a copy of Lightroom for my own personal non professional use, or can anyone send me one perhaps? Mnay thanks for any assistance. 

By the way how do you guys rate it vs Iridient, and does Iridient have a windows version yet as my Mac has bit the dust for a while.

Kind regards

Martin

Martin, I presume you purchased your gear used from a private party. I bought an M9 and S 006 from Leica Miami and got access to LR with each. Both were used but "certfied." Both came with a three year warranty as well. Personally, I think this is the best way to buy Leica gear. Post-depreciation plus full protection.

I feel your displeasure with Adobe's current subscription model. Hostage taking. I faced this with a law office management program that I bought years ago. Last year got the notice that they would no longer support the owned platform. The cost went from $400 maintenance fee per year to $1200 per year for the subscription. So either pay tribute or roll the dice.

I am in the process of buying a new computer and an dealing with this issue. I use PS 5 and LR and had to figure out how to avoid the subscription, especially since my PP box is off line. I found a new copy of CS 5 on eBay that I will load as well as the LR that I got from Leica. If all goes as planned, I should be all set.

Cheers to you.

David

Edited by Deliberate1

Iridient Developer does not have a Windows version. When I decided to get off the PS/LR subscription plan I switched to Affinity Photo which has both Mac and Windows versions. It costs just $49.99. No subscription. It is not a DAM like LR, but I didn't use LR for that anyway. It has also lacks most of the functions in the LR Print module, but I've found the Epson Print Layout app to be a reasonable (and free) substitute. Except for those omissions I haven't found anything I formerly did with PS or LR that I can't do as well with AP.

Martin as I understand it, the current offer from Leica is 90 days free subscription if you purchase a qualifying new Leica product . I think that the standalone licence has not been offered for some time.

If you purchased a second hand Leica it would depend on whether the offer had already been claimed by a previous owner.

The best value for photographers for subscription is the photoshop and LR combination.

If you don't want the subscription model, in my country at least, you can still purchase a standalone licence for LR. However you may not get every new feature available in the CC versions. As DNG is your raw format you are not dependent on support for new raw formats available only with new LR versions.

On comparing value (in my country) the price of a single user licence for LR only would pay for 14 months subscription cost for LR and PS. Using PS as an add on for LR suits my workflow very well. While I qualify for several copies of the standalone with earlier Leica purchases, I find the combination offered in that photographer subscription deal compelling personally

Edited by hoppyman

We users need the developers of our photo editing software to stay interested in the product. Unless they can come up with "must have" features every year then we won't buy new versions, the programmers will be fired and the software will become orphaned. Orphaned software eventually fails (as its environment evolves). New entrants to the market can survive for a while but they must settle down to the drudgery of keeping their programs working with new sales becoming harder and harder. I am in favour of software rental until the financiers figure out how to work it without employing programmers.

The best software package is typically the one that the user spends the most time to get to know. Just like camera gear.

Jeff

That is very true. I have used nearly all better-known software, yet I always return to Photoshop, as that is the program that I invested most learning in.

If people are looking at Lightroom, what is wrong with Photoshop Elements? Or ON1?

For me photoshop Elements has nothing to do with LR. It is totally different software. But maybe for you it is nothing wrong. For me it is difference between I can (LR) or I can't (PSE) use it .

No idea for ON1. I'm in ON. :)

Edited by Ko.Fe.

Martin,

You used to be able to purchase a perpetual license for Lightroom from the Adobe Website, but that option disappeared a few months ago as they are only selling the rental version. You can still find a perpetual license on Amazon for about $150.

https://www.amazon.com/Adobe-65237578-Photoshop-Lightroom-6/dp/B00VWCKJVA/ref=sr_1_1?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1505613264&sr=1-1&keywords=lightroom+6+software

Edited by Chuck Albertson

Martin,

You used to be able to purchase a perpetual license for Lightroom from the Adobe Website, but that option disappeared a few months ago as they are only selling the rental version. You can still find a perpetual license on Amazon for about $150.

https://www.amazon.com/Adobe-65237578-Photoshop-Lightroom-6/dp/B00VWCKJVA/ref=sr_1_1?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1505613264&sr=1-1&keywords=lightroom+6+software

Instructions from Adobe for perpetual license purchase as of August....

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-single-app-Lightroom-6.html

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

OP, I don't think you will find anything that is both free and useful to use with your multi thousand dollar camera. But you could give Elements a try for not too much money (but it still ain't free). Lightroom is well overrated anyway.

I'm not looking for a freebie, but I really wouldn't mind just buying something outright and then qualifying for the continuing updates as time progresses, even for a certain time period. Also, at some time I would like to have the independence to call a halt to the update flow and sit on what I have as long as it continues to meet my needs.

Word yesterday is my Mac has had the sword, so another expense, but maybe I may try Iridient as I have read nothing but positives about it. 

Martin

Edited by arionelli