What kind of mount damage?

GRBrown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Referring to the Leica R-Adapter-L, Leica states: "Leica single-lens reflex lenses manufactured before 1976 should not be mounted to the R-Adapter L, as this can cause damage to the mount."

Searching the this forum, as well as using other internet search engines, I was unable to find out what kind of damage would be caused.

Damage to the adapter mount? Damage to the lens mount? Is the potential for damage a function of the number of cams on a pre-1976 R lens?

They said the same thing about the R8 and R9 cameras. The explanation, when I asked, was that one and two cam R lenses might potentially damage the electronic contacts in the later lens mount. When I mentioned this on-line, various other long-team R cameras users basically responded "hogwash!" and said there was no difference between the first and second cam in the three-cam lenses and in the originals.

I don't know the truth of it, but since all my R lenses but two (that are always used on the bellows only) are three-cam lenses now, I don't expect there would be any issues using them on the R Adapter L anyway. There's no real advantage either, other than potentially having less vignetting than the two adapter stack (M Adapter L fitted wth R Adapter M) for very long lenses or very high magnification macro.

• Like 1

They said the same thing about the R8 and R9 cameras. The explanation, when I asked, was that one and two cam R lenses might potentially damage the electronic contacts in the later lens mount. When I mentioned this on-line, various other long-team R cameras users basically responded "hogwash!" and said there was no difference between the first and second cam in the three-cam lenses and in the originals.

Agreed.  I used 3-cam lenses on the R8 for many years and had no problems.  If there is any potential damage it would be to the adapter's ROM contacts, not to the lenses, but to reiterate, in ten years using the R8 I never had trouble with any of my 3-cam lenses fouling the camera's ROM contacts.

• Like 1

Agreed. I used 3-cam lenses on the R8 for many years and had no problems. If there is any potential damage it would be to the adapter's ROM contacts, not to the lenses, but to reiterate, in ten years using the R8 I never had trouble with any of my 3-cam lenses fouling the camera's ROM contacts.

https://fr.leica-camera.com/content/download/133226/1815664/version/1/file/160726_Kompatibilität_R-Objektive_E.pdf

I don't know what this list is supposed to indicate. I have no ROM or 'upgraded to ROM' lenses, and there are lens profiles for all of my lenses choosable when I use the two-adapter stack. All but two of my lenses are three-cam lenses, all worked just fine on the R8 regardless of some compatibility list. 

Are they trying to tell me that NONE of my 9 R lenses can be used on the R Adapter L, unless I have them all upgraded to ROM mount? ...And of course, they no longer support doing that upgrade.

I simply don't believe it, it's ridiculous. 

Oh yes: This list is dated July 2016, fully a year before fw 3.0 was released. fw 3.0 updated, improved on, and extended the number of R lenses that were supported by R Adapter M and R Adapter L. 

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

I recently viewed the same PDF describing R to L adapter compatibility. I found it directly on Leica's US site by selecting the adapter and then the "LEICA SL-SYSTEM - SUPPORTED LENSES BY R-LENS ADAPTERS" file.

This told me the Macro-Elmar-R 100mm f/1:4 I was going to purchase will not be supported with the $750 R Adapter L. What a waste of money and what a terrible design.

If it does work, Leica's inability to update their own documentation just lost them a sale on an adapter and a deeper dive into their ecosystem.

I do not want to stack adapters because I keep an M lens ready via the M to L adapter.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently viewed the same PDF describing R to L adapter compatibility. I found it directly on Leica's US site by selecting the adapter and then the "LEICA SL-SYSTEM - SUPPORTED LENSES BY R-LENS ADAPTERS" file.

This told me the Macro-Elmar-R 100mm f/1:4 I was going to purchase will not be supported with the $750 R Adapter L. What a waste of money and what a terrible design.

If it does work, Leica's inability to update their own documentation just lost them a sale on an adapter and a deeper dive into their ecosystem.

I do not want to stack adapters because I keep an M lens ready via the M to L adapter.

I am not sure what kind of misunderstanding (even several) is hidden in here.

- The 4/100 lens is very old and not very useful directly on a camera - the model for the bellows is much more useful (and the  bellows can be used on the SL). But the 60mm macro or the 2.8/100 macro are much better choices.

- The expensive adapter is only worth the money for lenses with ROM, mainly the modern zooms.

- And third I DO stack adapters because I want to use both M and R lenses - and in this case it is simplest to keep the M to L adapter always on the SL.

Edited by steppenw0lf

I am not sure what kind of misunderstanding (even several) is hidden in here.

- The 4/100 lens is very old and not very useful directly on a camera - the model for the bellows is much more useful (and the bellows can be used on the SL). But the 60mm macro or the 2.8/100 macro are much better choices.

- The expensive adapter is only worth the money for lenses with ROM, mainly the modern zooms.

- And third I DO stack adapters because I want to use both M and R lenses - and in this case it is simplest to keep the M to L adapter always on the SL.

Why would the 100/4 not be useful on a camera with the included macro adapter?

I don't leave the M to L adapter on the camera as I also use native lenses.

- The 4/100 lens is very old and not very useful directly on a camera - the model for the bellows is much more useful (and the  bellows can be used on the SL). But the 60mm macro or the 2.8/100 macro are much better choices.

The Macro-Elmar-R 100mm f/4 was available in both short (bellows) #11230 and standard R bayonet #11232 mounts. It was produced from 1968 to 1994 (3cam after about 1974 on the helical focus mount). I don't know why you'd say it's "very old" ... Mine is a 1987 production lens (sold as #11270 with the Focusing Bellows-R set) and thus about 15 to 17 years younger than a couple of my other R lenses, all of which work very nicely on the SL with their lens profiles. My Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8 is only two years newer. ???

The APO Macro-Elmarit-R 100mm f/2.8 is only a little bit newer: 1987 to 2009 production, with the changeover to ROM mount about concurrent with the R8. 

I tried to give you a hint (to help you) - but now I see, you know already better. No problem.

I have no idea what you're referring to.

The lens is available in R mount. I was looking at one with the macro adapter included. It was a 1984 copy I believe.

I seen no reason it would perform poorly.