24-90 vs 90 apo

Csacwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm looking at adding a 90mm lens for portraits and am wondering about how the performance of the SL 24-90 fully zoomed compares to the M 90mm apo? I would only be using the 24-90 for focal lengths in the 50mm-90mm range, and I already own a 50mm apo and a 75mm summilux, but having an autofocus option wouldn't be a bad thing.

• Like 1

I'm looking at adding a 90mm lens for portraits and am wondering about how the performance of the SL 24-90 fully zoomed compares to the M 90mm apo? I would only be using the 24-90 for focal lengths in the 50mm-90mm range, and I already own a 50mm apo and a 75mm summilux, but having an autofocus option wouldn't be a bad thing.

I've been underwhelmed by the 24-90 lens fully zoomed for portraits in okay-ish light.  Could be my technique, but its caused me to rethink this setup as the "do-all" solution that I was seeking.

• Like 1

Doesn't do it for me. Okay for a quick portrait on the road and certainly great for a zoom of that range. But a lot less micro contrast at f4 than 90/280 at f2.8. Right now it is 90/280 for me for professional work.24/90 if I need to get shorter, which is not that often. Maybe SL 75 to complement the long vario once it comes out.

• Like 1

The only scenario in which I could see myself using autofocus is when shooting a walking/moving model. For a still model I would manually focus and would therefore use an M or R prime. The weathersealing would be a bonus but isn't a huge deal to me.

Edited by Csacwp

I have both of the SL zooms and the Summicron-R 90mm f/2. All three are excellent performers, but of course they render somewhat differently. 

I don't understand people saying that the SL24-90 isn't sharp or 'lacks micro-contrast' at 90mm. I've done a huge amount of photos with this lens at 90mm setting (over 2000) and it is very sharp with beautiful rendering qualities. The SL90-280 is a bit harder edged, yes, and defines tonal variations with more punch, but is that what you need for portraiture? 

My Summicron-R 90mm f/2 (1980 vintage) is softer than either of the SL zooms wide open and razor sharp at f/4-5.6, a typical Walter Mandler design. For portraiture, it is my preferred lens because it is softer and has a more 'glowy' rendering quality wide open, and that rendering is adjustable with the aperture ring. It's more compact than either of the zooms as well. But when I shoot table top work for products, I use either the SL24-90 or SL90-280 because of their better micro-contrast and higher resolution rendering feel.

• Like 5

Hi Csacwp!

I have got the same SL 601, SL24-90/Asph, M50 Apo, M75 Lux ... I am also looking for one more len for portrait. I think You can consider one of the below:

- SL 90,

- SL 90-280,

- R Apo 180 f2.8.

Ignore 90 Apo or 90 Cron since You have three above lens.

Have a nice day!

Thanks!

I would consider the SL50 first of all, if you shoot portraits. it is a very versatile lens. The 24-90 is fine but not that outstanding at the long end. The 90-280 is simply to heavy for long portrait sessions, but renders fantastically at 90 mm.

And yes, given that you own a Summilux 75, I would wait for the 90 SL comming soon.

• Like 1

Seems like the general consensus here is that the 24-90 is nothing special. I'm not sure I'd want to buy an SL prime when I can get such good performance out of an M (and use it on my M bodies).

The 24-90 is an exceptionally versatile lens!  Excellent IQ and fast AF.  Here are some shots at 90mm.  That is not to say that there are not many other excellent choices for 90mm portrait lenses, but I would not short change the VE 24-90, particularly if you are okay with F4.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 4

VE 24-90@ 90mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I doubt very much if the inherent IQ differences between the lenses discussed here, including the two SL zooms, are significant in creating an outstanding portrait in comparison with the abilities of the photographer to manage lighting (natural and artificial) and get the best out of the model.

For those of you who can clearly see the IQ differences between them, please note my emphasis on 'oustanding portrait' - which is rarely dependent on the small IQ differences between such high end lenses. IMO, one is better advised to pick a lens from among these superb products on practical grounds (aperture, focal length, weight, AF/MF etc).

• Like 3

Quite the contrary. The 24-90 is so good that at comparable focal lengths and apertures it loses nothing to M primes; in fact, it more often beats out the M primes.

I often carry one or two M primes when I go out with the 24-90, usually the 35 FLE and the 75 AA, in case I need their light gather power or the shallow DOF. But most often the primes just stay in the bag.

Any assertion that the 24-90 is "not good" at 90 is inaccurate. It so happens that at 90mm it is wee bit weaker but that's only relative. Any zoom lens is going to be weaker somewhere in its range but the hallmark of these new varios is that they are virtually faultless across all apertures, all focal lengths, and all distances. These lenses are so glorious that even at their weaker end their performance is not meaningfully surpassed by primes. You could also argue that the 90-280 is weakest at 280mm but that's not saying a lot because even at its weakest it's not meaningfully surpassed by the 280/4 APO, which is stupendously good.

I'd like to be able to tell you that the 75AA is my most usedl lens for portraits but it has turned out to be the 24-90 time and again.

Seems like the general consensus here is that the 24-90 is nothing special. I'm not sure I'd want to buy an SL prime when I can get such good performance out of an M (and use it on my M bodies).

Edited by cpclee
  • Like 3

Quite the contrary. The 24-90 is so good that at comparable focal lengths and apertures it loses nothing to M primes; in fact, it more often beats out the M primes.

I often carry one or two M primes when I go out with the 24-90, usually the 35 FLE and the 75 AA, in case I need their light gather power or the shallow DOF. But most often the primes just stay in the bag.

Any assertion that the 24-90 is "not good" at 90 is inaccurate. It so happens that at 90mm it is wee bit weaker but that's only relative. Any zoom lens is going to be weaker somewhere in its range but the hallmark of these new varios is that they are virtually faultless across all apertures, all focal lengths, and all distances. These lenses are so glorious that even at their weaker end their performance is not meaningfully surpassed by primes. You could also argue that the 90-280 is weakest at 280mm but that's not saying a lot because even at its weakest it's not meaningfully surpassed by the 280/4 APO, which is stupendously good.

I'd like to be able to tell you that the 75AA is my most usedl lens for portraits but it has turned out to be the 24-90 time and again.

Can't agree more, exactly my own experience too.

• Like 2