settings for street photog.

mr_aznar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Everyone,

Can some direct me to a link or share their settings using the SL for street photog.  I'm mainly going to be using my Q for street.  However, today, I wanted to use the SL with 50mm sl lux, and see how it performs. It was my first time trying, so it may take awhile getting used to.  I found it slow and hunts when it hits an object/person, slow enough to change a scene or gesture, especially wide open.  And because of this, i either lost the opportunity or came out blurry. 

What AF field is best for moving subjects or the fastest for you?  If you're using AF field, are you able to change the field size like you can on the Q?

I want to be able to assign a function button for AEL. Is this possible? Im used to lock exposure with the q and when I had my a7rii. 

thx in advance.

What AF field is best for moving subjects or the fastest for you?  If you're using AF field, are you able to change the field size like you can on the Q?

Personally I think AF is pointless of street photography. If you need to focus you've already missed; set the camera to manual focus and say 28-35mm then f/8 or f/11 and pre-focus to 3-4m. You should have everything from about 2-3m to infinity in focus

• Like 2

Personally I think AF is pointless of street photography. If you need to focus you've already missed; set the camera to manual focus and say 28-35mm then f/8 or f/11 and pre-focus to 3-4m. You should have everything from about 2-3m to infinity in focus

Couldn't agree more. Zone focusing and a more conspicuous lens is what you need for street photography.

are you shooting in daylight or evening/night ?

Hi Everyone,

Can some direct me to a link or share their settings using the SL for street photog.  I'm mainly going to be using my Q for street.  However, today, I wanted to use the SL with 50mm sl lux, and see how it performs. It was my first time trying, so it may take awhile getting used to.  I found it slow and hunts when it hits an object/person, slow enough to change a scene or gesture, especially wide open.  And because of this, i either lost the opportunity or came out blurry. 

I want to be able to assign a function button for AEL. Is this possible? Im used to lock exposure with the q and when I had my a7rii. 

thx in advance.

Edited by frame-it

ya i get all that. the q does that forme. i forgot to tell that im using this 50mm sl. wanted to see what it can do as well as the sl camera. not about technique im looking for. it is more what the cam can do based on its capabilities.

Couldn't agree more. Zone focusing and a more conspicuous lens is what you need for street photography.

not looking for technique. use it on the q all the time. wanted to know what the sl can do based on capabilities and its settings. im using 50mm sl. finding it really slow

with the SL : i use only manual focus for street photos 90mmAPO f2 or 50mm f1.4, M mode..same settings except ISO 50-100 for day and 400-1600 at night

with the T : same settings as above except ISO 100 for day and 400-1600 at night

with 5D-SR: AF all the way no matter what light ;)

daylight. just came back from evening shooting. the 50mm is horribly slow. what settings do you have to maximize af speed?

I was zone focusing narrow apertures until I got the Q, then I found the AF was so quick that I could use it at 1.7 and still get many shots - sometimes the AF didn't get it - and i'm disappointed the shot didn't take. But when shots do take at 1.7 I get something different and cleaner.

Alot of the time I put aperture on auto, iso auto, fixed shutter 1/2000th and face recognition AF

1/2000, ISO 1000, f1.7

35891164470_8f1995ef8b_n.jpgRawr by dancook1982, on Flickr

1/250, ISO 1250, f1.7

34410930162_5b2ac8c737_n.jpgCinematic London at Night by dancook1982, on Flickr

1/2000 ISO 100, f2

28822302143_7c6e717d8a_n.jpgL1100355 by dancook1982, on Flickr

I took this next shot half running....

1/2000 ISO 200, f1.7

23806895803_d1f4d57906_n.jpgThe hunter becomes the hunted by dancook1982, on Flickr

I also had the 50SL, AF is too slow for reactive street photography, it's not ideal for zone focusing and it's a bit heavy for swinging around.. 

• Like 5

I was zone focusing narrow apertures until I got the Q, then I found the AF was so quick that I could use it at 1.7 and still get many shots - sometimes the AF didn't get it - and i'm disappointed the shot didn't take. But when shots do take at 1.7 I get something different and cleaner.

Alot of the time I put aperture on auto, iso auto, fixed shutter 1/2000th and face recognition AF

1/2000, ISO 1000, f1.7

35891164470_8f1995ef8b_n.jpgRawr by dancook1982, on Flickr

1/250, ISO 1250, f1.7

34410930162_5b2ac8c737_n.jpgCinematic London at Night by dancook1982, on Flickr

1/2000 ISO 100, f2

28822302143_7c6e717d8a_n.jpgL1100355 by dancook1982, on Flickr

I took this next shot half running....

1/2000 ISO 200, f1.7

23806895803_d1f4d57906_n.jpgThe hunter becomes the hunted by dancook1982, on Flickr

I also had the 50SL, AF is too slow for reactive street photography, it's not ideal for zone focusing and it's a bit heavy for swinging around.. 

so you and i are on the same page, being that we both had experience with Q and SL and 50mm sl lens. prior to purchasing the SL, I had the a7rii with 50m 1.4 zeiss.  Even though I hardly used it for street, but when I did, I was able to.  Wanted to see if the SL could do the same and based on 1st try, I was dissapointed.  Banking on experience and hopefully find the ability to use it on street.  Not that I would like to use SL on street, because my Q kills it, but the peace of mind knowing that I might be able to use it. Thx for sharing your photos.  They are amazing!

• Like 3

not looking for technique. use it on the q all the time. wanted to know what the sl can do based on capabilities and its settings. im using 50mm sl. finding it really slow

You are not using the proper tool for the job. The 50 1.4 SL lens is meant to be optically equal or superior to the 50 APO M lens, but with auto focus. It is a very complex element to deliver that optical quality wide open - it is not supposed to be blazing fast. It is not advertised as being a blazing fast autofocus lens. As has been suggested in this thread several times, you should be zone focusing to do proper street photography, not expecting this particular lens to do something it wasn't designed to do. The 24 to 90 would work better for what you're looking for if you absolutely have to have autofocus for street photography on the SL.

• Like 2

Set Manual focus.

Set toggle button to do AF.

Regardless how fast or slow the SL50 AF works, learn its timing and keep the camera ready to shoot by pre focusing in the focus zone you want to use. Then the speed of the equipment doesn't matter.

Also, it is unwise to expect that an automation convenience technique which works well on one camera will always work well on another.

• Like 3

Auto ISO, Min shutter speed 1/250th sec, max ISO 3200. I shoot mainly 28 Cron Asph v2 and 50 Lux Asph. I like wide open, which is dead easy to nail with the SL finder. IMHO, its a great street machine with M glass, just as easy, if not easier to use than my MM1. And with the 90 APO, the SL is king. I don't even bother wasting my time with this lens on the M anymore. If you can't use the SL for street, your doing something wrong.

Edited by jplomley
  • Like 2

You are not using the proper tool for the job. The 50 1.4 SL lens is meant to be optically equal or superior to the 50 APO M lens, but with auto focus. It is a very complex element to deliver that optical quality wide open - it is not supposed to be blazing fast. It is not advertised as being a blazing fast autofocus lens. As has been suggested in this thread several times, you should be zone focusing to do proper street photography, not expecting this particular lens to do something it wasn't designed to do. The 24 to 90 would work better for what you're looking for if you absolutely have to have autofocus for street photography on the SL.

I dont think i was looking at this as a tool for the job. I was mainly curious how it would perform in street photog conditions. I was curious if others have been successful at using the SL as is, without having to zone focus (which I dont think zone focusing equals "proper street photog"). I understand that Leica couldve created this as a fast af lens, and that their concerns is strictly quality, which I'm sold about.  when you read reviews and how it was marketed, i was persuaded to think differently and so it was automatic for me to compare with what I was using prior to this. I was also spoiled by the Q because it's the fastest thing ive ever used.  again, not to compare to a 28mm, but the perspective with regards to marketing was the same.  it might have been my mistake for misleading everyone to think that im going to be using this for street photog. but rather i was more curious about the possibilities without having to get to the techniques used in street photog. appreciate your input!

• Like 1

Set Manual focus.

Set toggle button to do AF.

Regardless how fast or slow the SL50 AF works, learn its timing and keep the camera ready to shoot by pre focusing in the focus zone you want to use. Then the speed of the equipment doesn't matter.

Also, it is unwise to expect that an automation convenience technique which works well on one camera will always work well on another.

appreciate the tip! coming from what i was used to shooting (a7rii 50mm 1.4 zeiss) and seeing how it would handle on the street, i think it's fair and not unwise to naturally compare. it is human nature, especially considering the cost of the item.  i dont want people to assume im comparing. im just CURIOUS about settings that have and have not worked for people, given that theyve tried this on the street.  When I purchased the Q, i automatically compared it to my rx1r, naturally. First impression was that the sony was more accurate and faster. But after sleeping with the Q for months, i began to understand the system and now I find it way more accurate, intuitive, and faster than the sony rx1r, plus the user experience is not compareable.  so with that said, i probably shouldve just figured this out myself, but was hoping the community would provide their practical experience, rather than "teaching me" on how to shoot.  I don't blame people though. it's the nature of blog/forums.

Not quite street photography or with the 50mm but for fast events I use the 11-23 T with my SL, zone focus set at 1.5m to infinity via the OLED panel, auto ISO. Move in close or the mobile phones get in the way.

And I exposure compensate ahead of capture moment or with a bit of flash. In those moments, I rarely put the camera EVF to my eye but pivot to best position the camera. The SL is a blast to use in those conditions. Equalises with my DSLR for performance. And when I need those 24mp I just go back to the 24-90 which is still the lens for 90% of most event shooting which isn't really very fast moving.

appreciate the tip! coming from what i was used to shooting (a7rii 50mm 1.4 zeiss) and seeing how it would handle on the street, i think it's fair and not unwise to naturally compare. it is human nature, especially considering the cost of the item.  i dont want people to assume im comparing. im just CURIOUS about settings that have and have not worked for people, given that theyve tried this on the street.  When I purchased the Q, i automatically compared it to my rx1r, naturally. First impression was that the sony was more accurate and faster. But after sleeping with the Q for months, i began to understand the system and now I find it way more accurate, intuitive, and faster than the sony rx1r, plus the user experience is not compareable.  so with that said, i probably shouldve just figured this out myself, but was hoping the community would provide their practical experience, rather than "teaching me" on how to shoot.  I don't blame people though. it's the nature of blog/forums.

I have used the SL with the Canon 50/1.2L with good results. It all depends on the subject matter of course. I use it more for situations where there is no movement and makes sense to isolate the subject, or situations where I have enough dof so that any movement parallel to the camera does not affect focus that much. I also try to prefocus on specific areas and take multiple shots if necessary to maximise the probability of success. And of course for street portraits.

ive tried the canon 85 f1.2 L on 5dSR and SL50 on the SL..the 85L with its death star sized glass focused faster on people in the street at dusk.

but whatever.. use the tools to get the best results one can.

I have used the SL with the Canon 50/1.2L with good results. It all depends on the subject matter of course. I use it more for situations where there is no movement and makes sense to isolate the subject, or situations where I have enough dof so that any movement parallel to the camera does not affect focus that much. I also try to prefocus on specific areas and take multiple shots if necessary to maximise the probability of success. And of course for street portraits.