SL low light lens options

paulb33

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The GFX has a 24-50 equivalent lens at f4. Is that really comparable to a 24-90 f2.8-4?

I didn't make any other point except to say the 24-90 is heavy and thick AF. They feel about the same width and weight and handle in a similar manner. My GL 32-64 and 110 in particular felt just like my 24-90 does in use.

I have to think Leica is future-proofing the SL lenses to resolve to a much, much higher resolution sensor. Fujifilm is doing this with the GL lenses for the GFX by designing them for a 100 megapixel sensor. I'm not sure sure Leica has taken the SL lenses that far, but I don't think they're creating these two behemoth zooms and 50mm just for the current sensor.

If I was shooting indoor party and discretion was desired I would take my M246 and at least one wide and one normal Summilux - have them all except 24mm.

If however colour was desired output than same lenses but coupled with SL although latest M10 (which I don't have) would be probably better candidate.

If I was shooting indoor party and discretion was desired I would take my M246 and at least one wide and one normal Summilux - have them all except 24mm.

If however colour was desired output than same lenses but coupled with SL although latest M10 (which I don't have) would be probably better candidate.

Does the M10 have better low light than the SL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The M10 is slightly better in ISO performance than the SL (half a stop??). So it's better but it won't be image defining.

I have the SL 50 'lux. I love it but it wouldn't be my first choice in low light due to the slow AF and size. I almost always switch it to MF anyway.

If I were buying exclusively for low light shooting I'd probably skip the SL 'lux AND the M 'lux and just get the excellent CV 50mm Nokton 1.5. The M 50 is a little better but the CV has lower contrast and a shorter focus throw. Much easier to use.

The Q (which I don't have but have tested) seems to AF really well in lower light and would make an excellent compliment to the 24-90. I'd probably get that before any M 28mm.

Gordon

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography
  • Like 1

The M 50 is a little better but the CV has lower contrast and a shorter focus throw. Much easier to use.

The Q (which I don't have but have tested) seems to AF really well in lower light and would make an excellent compliment to the 24-90. I'd probably get that before any M 28mm.

Gordon

Really interesting points. So, wonder if I should get the CV Nokton 50 or the Q for this night out? The Q is lovely but wide - not sure it'll crop in post enough for this shooting?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

David Farkas mentioned in one of his reviews that with the TL / SL lenses, Leica started internally striving for much higher IQ. Makes sense as mirrorless + larger volume lenses allows IQ not previously achievable. Karbe is quoted as saying the newer SL lenses will "redefine everything".

I didn't make any other point except to say the 24-90 is heavy and thick AF. They feel about the same width and weight and handle in a similar manner. My GL 32-64 and 110 in particular felt just like my 24-90 does in use.

I have to think Leica is future-proofing the SL lenses to resolve to a much, much higher resolution sensor. Fujifilm is doing this with the GL lenses for the GFX by designing them for a 100 megapixel sensor. I'm not sure sure Leica has taken the SL lenses that far, but I don't think they're creating these two behemoth zooms and 50mm just for the current sensor.

This is what I brought for foreign trip, all in a small backpack ..................... I use Noctilux-M 1:0.95/50 ASPH to handle low light condition and images for bokeh

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

What do you think the noctilux would resolve to?  Would it work well on the  d850 which has 46 mp?