New Peak Design Leash with M10

LesT

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone checked out the new Peak Design Leash strap with an M10.

The camera attachments are now smaller to get through the camera lugs.  I like the concept and the company quotes that the loops are very strong however I've just got that niggle in the back of my mind. 

Regards,

Les

The camera attachments are now smaller to get through the camera lugs.  I like the concept and the company quotes that the loops are very strong however I've just got that niggle in the back of my mind. 

Regards,

Les

I haven't used the Leash, but use the larger Slide w/M240/246, as well as similar products w/loop connectors from Op/tech & other manufacturers without significant complaints. If you're a power user &/or have heavy camera bodies, particular old(er) film cameras w/sharp edges in their lugs/attachment points, the nylon will eventually fray. I've experienced this problem w/older M bodies that had worn down lugs that had razor sharp edges (which is why I using loop connectors to start with to avoid continued abrasion from metal split-rings) & on my Rolleiflexes, which have Franke & Heidecke's proprietary alligator-clip connections. This isn't a big deal so long as you periodically check the connector loops so you don't experience a catastrophic failure in the field (not a bad idea for all of your cameras since any strap, & lug, can fail).  Replacement connectors are relatively cheap, so I keep a bunch of the correct type in my bag when traveling.  At home I keep extras in a drawer w/batteries & other consumables.

Edit:  I haven't experienced fraying yet w/the Peak Design connector loops (haven't owned the Slide long enough), & it's possible they use a stronger material, but it's just something to keep in mind.

Edited by furcafe

Regards,

Les

I'm actually using the old anchors v1 with the "Cuff"

Really like it, but switching to the new and thinner anchors soon!

I just received the new leash and cuff. It works and looks great on the m10. Only been a day so far. Looking forward to using them both on an upcoming short holiday. I like the versatility of instant strap adjustment and ability to quickly shift to the cuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Just make sure to cinch the cord of the loop connector tight to the lug (if possible). I like to use a waxed cord as it cinches down nice and tight on the lug and will stay put. If the loop is slack enough to move around in relation to the lug it will fray faster and cause the lug to become sharp over time due to wear.

Either way, keep an eye on the cord for fraying and replace when necessary. Consider it regular maintenance. 

• 9 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The V4 anchors won’t fit through the lugs of my M240. You’ll have to use split rings.

What I don’t get is why PeakDesign supplies triangular split rings with their replacement anchors. It just doesn’t make sense to connect a lug and an anchor with a triangle.

BTW, the weakness of the old V3 anchors is that they are somewhat thin and can be worn down by certain types of sharp-edged lugs. Smooth lugs shouldn’t cause any problems.

Edited by Jaskar

Actually I use V4 design with M10, M9 and MP film. They are tight but it is better as they won’t move that much so cords will last longer. I was using V3 before without any problem as well. I use cords with PD leash and cuff and also Leica leather straps. Basically I keep the anchors on the camera and change the strap quickly.

Hmmm

I really like Peak design, and their Everyday backpack is the absolute best!

I have the Slide strap, and the attachment method is genius . . but if (like me) you spend time holding your camera in your hand with the strap around your wrist, then the metal bits on the slide immediately bash into the camera body / LCD / lens front element etc. 

. . so for me, it's back to what I know, which is NO METAL BITS (on straps, jackets, etc.)

best

Actually I use V4 design with M10, M9 and MP film. They are tight but it is better as they won’t move that much so cords will last longer. I was using V3 before without any problem as well. I use cords with PD leash and cuff and also Leica leather straps. Basically I keep the anchors on the camera and change the strap quickly.

How did you attached the V4 on your cameras? Its tight. 

They are rally tight, I have used a toothpick to guide them through the lugs and then used screwing method until they have poked form the other side. The rest was easy. Now they don't move so much which is good

Do you think its safe? 

The Peak Design Leash makes no sense to me. Putting a quick release connector on a camera strap seems like putting a screen door on a submarine where the hatch should be.

I want my camera strap to be as solidly connected to my camera as possible. Murphy's Law tells me that that one-in-a-million scenario will inevitably occur where something will bump the connector in just the right way, causing it to quickly release while I'm crossing an intersection in Manhattan during rush hour, thereby destroying my M10.

No thanks.

Edited by NDOC

I don’t have the M10, however I’ve been using PD for about 3 months now, and I feel that their design and build quality is superb; I use the V4 on my SL and X-U, and alternate between the cuff and slide. Purely on aesthetics I keep a leather strap on my 262. Even with my 90-280mm on the SL I have confidence in the system.

I agree....I use a simple wrist strap and split ring setup that has the least possible termination failure when connected to my Camera(s).  Some of these strap designs don't seem like they are engineered well at all, when you are connected by thin dental floss like string or a 5 cent screw determining if your $10k+ rig  stays attached to the strap or drops to the ground like a rock.  

Hmmm

I really like Peak design, and their Everyday backpack is the absolute best!

I have the Slide strap, and the attachment method is genius . . but if (like me) you spend time holding your camera in your hand with the strap around your wrist, then the metal bits on the slide immediately bash into the camera body / LCD / lens front element etc. 

. . so for me, it's back to what I know, which is NO METAL BITS (on straps, jackets, etc.)

best

• 2 months later...