Alternatives for film holders Epson 850?

Does anyone know of and or use any alternatives to the negative holders that Epson supplies with the 850 (and others)?

I was under the impression that the holders for both 35mm and 120 were re-designed for the 800/850 and therefore not those supplied with (and others), they are I assume compatible forward and back and with the alternatives marketed. The "new" versions allow more rigid mounting and finer control over the scan height but have not met universal acclaim, I find them good but have no comparison holders to match with. Certainly moving them one step up or down from optimum does produce a discernible difference but I would be interested in other holders that hold 35mm film with a genetic propensity to curl flatter as I occasionally can see variance across the frame as a result of that, the alternative is of course to shoot film that dries flat in the first place.

• Like 1

For single negative scans - which means the small or middle format negative would need to be moved for every single frame manually in the holder - simple Beseler or Omega negative metal holders made for enlargers might work with the flatbed scanner device. Not sure since I don't have an Epson scanner. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For single negative scans - which means the small or middle format negative would need to be moved for every single frame manually in the holder - simple Beseler or Omega negative metal holders made for enlargers might work with the flatbed scanner device. Not sure since I don't have an Epson scanner. 

Using the flat bed means on the V850 the scanner autoselects the lower quality lens and that cannot AFAIK be altered in any software, that lens is fine for 4x5 etc but not good for 120, I have tested that on the flat bed and in the holder and the quality is visibly improved in the holder although the bed means the negative can be held flatter (I used museum glass) going to 35mm the flat bed is OK for a rough "contact" sheet but not for much else. 

• Like 2

I have the Betterscanning 35mm holder with ANR glass for my V700 and I see that also works with the V800. As far as fine adjustment is concerned I don't think you are going to get anything better, and particularly as the ANR glass holds the negatives flat for perfect focus across the frame. But it still comes back to the basic issue that for 35mm a Plustek scanner can still do a better job for the final scan, but not batch scanning where the V800 will win.

• Like 1

I have the Betterscanning 35mm holder with ANR glass for my V700 and I see that also works with the V800. As far as fine adjustment is concerned I don't think you are going to get anything better, and particularly as the ANR glass holds the negatives flat for perfect focus across the frame. But it still comes back to the basic issue that for 35mm a Plustek scanner can still do a better job for the final scan, but not batch scanning where the V800 will win.

I may well invest in that holder IMHO flatness across the frame is an issue, that one can actually see that difference of course means the scanner is "good enough" to show that. I agree with the above that a Plustek can provide superior results, I have one, but for speed of production and for web posting the Epson is good enough, for me.

• Like 1

I may well invest in that holder IMHO flatness across the frame is an issue, that one can actually see that difference of course means the scanner is "good enough" to show that. I agree with the above that a Plustek can provide superior results, I have one, but for speed of production and for web posting the Epson is good enough, for me.

Thank you for the posts. If you ever have some time, I'd love to see a comparison between the Epson 850 and the Plustek!