S 008

BigBabyEarl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm not even looking. I've got what i need to keep me in cameras from now and till the grave.

M10 for travel

H6D for landscape and pretty girls

Chamonix 8x10 and 4x5 for posing

Hasselblad 503PW for when I feel like a change

Neil

I'm not even looking. I've got what i need to keep me in cameras from now and till the grave.

M10 for travel

H6D for landscape and pretty girls

Chamonix 8x10 and 4x5 for posing

Hasselblad 503PW for when I feel like a change

Neil

Some wandering eyes will keep you from becoming stale :D.

• Like 1

Thanks - or not - pending on the eyes that see and the deepness of the pocket(s)... But I guess the recent price adjustment of the S007 indicated what to come.

I am not surprised.  If you were willing to pay $20K for the S007 (and you are still in the system) you will almost certainly also be willing to pay $29K for a almost double resolution S008.  Leica knows its target audience.  

Edited by JorisV
  • Like 1

I am not surprised.  If you were willing to pay $20K for the S007 (and you are still in the system) you will almost certainly also be willing to pay $29K for a almost double resolution S008.  Leica knows its target audience.  

Agreed. But can Leica make enough money selling a new product only to the choir. At that price point, wouldn't an uninitiated pro, or flush enthusiast, pony up a bit more coin for a Hassleblad 100mp box, with lenses that cost far less than Leica equivalents. Seems to me that if Leica presents a camera with a sensor one third smaller than a largely equally priced alternative, it is a box meant only for those already heavily invested in the system or brand. After all, there are current Fuji and Hasselblad models that cost 25% of a $28k camera with approximately 90% of the mp of that projected for the new S. As for me, I remain gobsmacked by my three year old, certified, S 006 that cost me about 20% of the reported progeny. The perfect camera ...for perfect conditions.

David

Edited by Deliberate1
  • Like 1

After all, there are current Fuji and Hasselblad models that cost 25% of a $28k camera with approximately 90% of the mp of that projected for the new S.

The rumored X2D is predicted to have 56% more MP than than this predicted S008, and will likely still cost small fraction of $29k.

Jeff

• Like 2

I’ll reserve further judgment until we determine if any of these rumors are accurate. As noted earlier, price aside, I’d be surprised if after 4 years the only change to a new S is MP. But Leica can be full of surprises.

Jeff

The rumored X2D is predicted to have 56% more MP than than this predicted S008, and will likely still cost small fraction of $29k.

Jeff

X2D will almost certainty be using the Sony 100mp 44x33 BSI sensor. Price maybe slight above what GFX100s is going to be...

I think truly S008 should at least be around 60mp... or 70mp...

X2D will almost certainty be using the Sony 100mp 44x33 BSI sensor. Price maybe slight above what GFX100s is going to be...

I think truly S008 should at least be around 60mp... or 70mp...

Hence my 56% comment.... rumored 64 MP plus 56% =

100MP.

Jeff

FWIW, from an interview with Stefan Daniel published by Fotosidan:

In recent years, other manufacturers have presented relatively affordable medium format cameras, which means they no longer are limited to professional users. Is this a development that you also investigate for your S System?

At the moment we have the Leica S (Type 007) on the market, and the S System will continue to evolve. We have interesting plans and will stay active in this segment. The Leica S lenses are among the best available for medium format, and we will continue along this path quite consistently. I cannot disclose more at the moment.

• Like 2

Jeff S,  I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct with the upcoming S3.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the S007 is going to be made upgradeable with different sensor(s) and boards.  The S body is mature, only the sensors/boards need changing if desired by the user who lusts after more MPs. Plus Leica clearly knows the S lenses out resolve any current and future industry sensors.  So don't be surprised if Leica S users will have a choice in sensors/boards to match their needs/desires and wallets. Nobody in the industry really offers "affordable" upgradable sensors/boards, just expensive and rapidly obsolete backs. October is coming with a number of surprises from Leica...all good news for many Leica users.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10

Jeff S,  I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct with the upcoming S3.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the S007 is going to be made upgradeable with different sensor(s) and boards.  The S body is mature, only the sensors/boards need changing if desired by the user who lusts after more MPs. Plus Leica clearly knows the S lenses out resolve any current and future industry sensors.  So don't be surprised if Leica S users will have a choice in sensors/boards to match their needs/desires and wallets. Nobody in the industry really offers "affordable" upgradable sensors/boards, just expensive and rapidly obsolete backs. October is coming with a number of surprises from Leica...all good news for many Leica users.  r/ Mark

I bet these "affordable" upgradable sensors alone would cost more than X2D and GFX100s. If Leica thinks that it's still 2008 and S is the only compact MF camera they can charge over $20k for, this can be a costly mistake. 

Besides the cameras, is the system itself evolving? Any new lenses or accessories have been released during the past few years?

Kparseg,   Perhaps, perhaps not.  October is coming and we all will just have to see what surprises Leica has in store for us.  Least we forget, Leica has a history of surprising not only the users, but the industry as well...we all remember the R8/9 with DMR, digital M cameras, S2, Monochrom, SL, Q, etc., and who knows what many more most excellent surprises await us.  I don't know how others feel, but I enjoy Leica surprises.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 3

Kparseg,   Perhaps, perhaps not.  October is coming and we all will just have to see what surprises Leica has in store for us.  Least we forget, Leica has a history of surprising not only the users, but the industry as well...we all remember the R8/9 with DMR, digital M cameras, S2, Monochrom, SL, Q, etc., and who knows what many more most excellent surprises await us.  I don't know how others feel, but I enjoy Leica surprises.  r/ Mark

Sounds good! :)