Advertisement (gone after registration)

The problem for Leica is that they still use a SLR form while all the medium format action is mirrorless. Does Leica continue with a mirror box, or back out of the cul-de-sac and make money selling adapters for old S lenses to a new mirrorless body?

Have to say that the S body feels perfect in the hand, that peering at the world through the OVF looks perfect to my eye, that the mechanical guts sound perfect to my ear. I am the only imperfect part of the equation.

David

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like many rumours, this one happens to be wrong. Apart from the fact that there is no Maestro III – not this year anyway.

Well, that was exactly my original fear when I decided after hesitation to invest in the S system and I even voiced it. Leica hit me really bad with the abandonment of the R series as I had/have very extensive investments in the R system. If they do it again to me, I will be quite more than angry.

I agree.  I'm not sure I agree with the idea that movie frames have "lower resolution".  This is something that's very very complex to discuss and appreciate.  Because images in motion are perceived differently to a still frame / photo.  The perception of noise changes, the screen size and display technology  (projectors) is also quite different. Say hello to a 30-100' perforated or 3D reflective screen.   Those lower resolution individual frames are enlarged to an extremely large size. But th

Posted Images

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Have to say that the S body feels perfect in the hand, that peering at the world through the OVF looks perfect to my eye, that the mechanical guts sound perfect to my ear. I am the only imperfect part of the equation.

David

i was going to reply to this but I'm struggling with OVF .......i no what IVF is and EVF but can't get my head around OVF can something help me out

neil

Certainly, some people prefer the SLR, but I think the market is shifting towards mirrorless - Leica can't ignore it.

Leica already sells a mirrorless version of the S (007) as the Sinar 30|45. It is marketed to studio/view camera users.

It would make sense for them to make the next (008) version more user-friendly and sell it to a wider market.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

This is Neil's equation:

OVF + IVF = many OVF

Gordon

Someone explain ed to me what OVF was as I hadn’t heard that anagram before. My new TL2 doesn’t have either

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

I will be surprised if there is ever an S 008.

My money is on an SL with over 36mp by the end of the year. Nikon have proved you can get almost 50mp in a FF/35mm sensor. With 3 native SL zooms and 5 primes available by then, each with much faster and quieter AF, the SL ecosystem will be ready for full pro use (albeit without native macro; maybe that will come in 2019). Leica will then be ready to phase out the S and all the weight, cost, and recent reliability issues that have dogged it, just as they moved on from the R line when the cost/benefits of the alternatives made it obsolete or very difficult to justify. I would love to have an S: it looks great and the images are outstanding. But every time I try one out the user interface and AF just feel clunky and ancient. I'm just not seeing what Leica could put into an S 008 that would make it worth the significant premium it would require over a by-then expensive and impressive SL system.

That said, Hasselblad have managed to slightly reinvent their H system for almost 2 decades, developing little more than better sensors and still charging new car prices for little more than IQ. So, maybe Leica will do the same. But what do I know, I'm just a covetous and bewildered amateur.  

Edited by Craggs 101

I will be surprised if there is ever an S 008.

My money is on an SL with over 36mp by the end of the year. Nikon have proved you can get almost 50mp in a FF/35mm sensor. With 3 native SL zooms and 5 primes available by then, each with much faster and quieter AF, the SL ecosystem will be ready for full pro use (albeit without native macro; maybe that will come in 2019). Leica will then be ready to phase out the S and all the weight, cost, and recent reliability issues that have dogged it, just as they moved on from the R line when the cost/benefits of the alternatives made it obsolete or very difficult to justify. I would love to have an S: it looks great and the images are outstanding. But every time I try one out the user interface and AF just feel clunky and ancient. I'm just not seeing what Leica could put into an S 008 that would make it worth the significant premium it would require over a by-then expensive and impressive SL system.

That said, Hasselblad have managed to slightly reinvent their H system for almost 2 decades, developing little more than better sensors and still charging new car prices for little more than IQ. So, maybe Leica will do the same. But what do I know, I'm just a covetous and bewildered amateur.  

Not every pro has the same requirements.  If I were doing studio work, the size and weight of an S is simply not an issue, especially if most of my studio work was product photography.  Same for the AF speed.  Just not relevant for many forms of work.  I wouldn't want or expect a medium format camera to have the speed and flexibility of a full frame mirrorless or digital SLR.  So would an SL2 be a replacement for the S?  I don't think so.  

Will Leica release an S008?  Will they continue to invest in the S format?  I have no idea and wouldn't want to predict.  I don't know whether their moderate success justifies their continuing to put engineering and production resources into the S.  Only Leica could answer that.  But just because full frame has reached 50 megapixels does not mean there is no longer a use for larger format lenses and cameras.

Not every pro has the same requirements.  If I were doing studio work, the size and weight of an S is simply not an issue, especially if most of my studio work was product photography.  Same for the AF speed.  Just not relevant for many forms of work.  I wouldn't want or expect a medium format camera to have the speed and flexibility of a full frame mirrorless or digital SLR.  So would an SL2 be a replacement for the S?  I don't think so.  

Will Leica release an S008?  Will they continue to invest in the S format?  I have no idea and wouldn't want to predict.  I don't know whether their moderate success justifies their continuing to put engineering and production resources into the S.  Only Leica could answer that.  But just because full frame has reached 50 megapixels does not mean there is no longer a use for larger format lenses and cameras.

Good point!

I think Leica just need figure out what is the real selling point of S system. Given the change from S006 to S007, I don't think they succeed in that. I hope S008 will be different. 

Yes, the selling points. The CS lenses come to mind. Just today, I bought the Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack; now ordering one of their Action heads. I think this will be a mega-sweet combination with the S007 and my 3 CS lenses, for working with strobes outside. Who needs the power-sapping HS or HSS when you can sync at up to 1/1000s, using the full power of your flash pack, if you need to do so? As much as I love the GFX50S (and I seriously do, for many different reasons), the S007 still has some tricks up its sleeve. And, before I forget, the S007 works with Hasselblad HC (and Contax 645) lenses seamlessly, with AF, auto aperture, full Exif info and ready profiles in LR.  Meaning that I can use my second-hand, affordably purchased, HC 300/4.5 as if it were a native lens. The Fuji can't do any of the above. 

Leica will then be ready to phase out the S and all the weight, cost, and recent reliability issues that have dogged it, just as they moved on from the R line when the cost/benefits of the alternatives made it obsolete or very difficult to justify.

Well, that was exactly my original fear when I decided after hesitation to invest in the S system and I even voiced it. Leica hit me really bad with the abandonment of the R series as I had/have very extensive investments in the R system. If they do it again to me, I will be quite more than angry.