S 008

BigBabyEarl

• 1 month later...

From Steve Huff:

"I do not think the Maestro III will be in a new S. In fact, I am not so sure there will ever be a new S. Sales of the S have been abysmal and all rumors I have heard for a while now is there will not be another S. Rumors but these came from within the industry. "

Anyone can say anything on the internet without substantiation. The people who actually know something say nothing.

Jesse

From Steve Huff:

"I do not think the Maestro III will be in a new S. In fact, I am not so sure there will ever be a new S. Sales of the S have been abysmal and all rumors I have heard for a while now is there will not be another S. Rumors but these came from within the industry. "

• Like 4

Yes, I really hope they do something, and I have been assured that they are working on one, but that was awhile ago, and as Matt said, things change. But the longer it takes, the more likely I think it will be a supercharged SL rather than an upgraded S. I suspect that they will tell us that the sensors are so good that we do not need larger than full frame (just like they told us that we did not need more than 37mp, or that a full frame M would never be possible), and that we can use our S lenses on the new SL with their adapter. Then if they offer a 50mp or so SL, they do not have to compete directly against a 100mp Fuji or Hasselblad X1 If it is an SL, they can have a lower price point of entry than with a new S and its bespoke non-Sony chip. It will be a harder sell to get people to buy an S with 60mp for 18-20,000 dollars when they will soon be able to buy a Fuji or Hassleblad with 100mp for half the price. Anyway, just speculation, and most likely wrong. I do not know anything, and if Leica is indeed going to get rid of the S system, the customers are surely going to be the last to know, just like with the R system. 

Stuart, although that is often quoted "or that a full frame M would never be possible" in context of the M8 time frame what was said at the time was more like not possible with current technology then.
That's a pretty well worn old topic by now I think.
It will be very interesting to see what if anything appears as a new S body

Edited by hoppyman

I can’t see Leica releasing a higher MP sensor SL beforehand as it would just undermine the new S.

A new SL will help the S, long-term, and vice versa (a new S will help the SL). The two systems share so much, in terms of accessories and workflow, that whatever helps one also helps the other.

To put it another way, say that you are using an SL professionally. You own system flashes (including the new wireless flash), lenses, and your workflow is centered around DNG. You also have a look that is somewhat dependent on Leica's optical signature. That makes the S a prime contender if you want to offer medium format to your clients.

Anyone can say anything on the internet without substantiation. The people who actually know something say nothing.

Jesse

Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know. But that does not mean that all who don't talk do know ...  :ph34r:

• Like 3

Well, I hope they do something soon, because a friend lent me a GFX, and the comparison with the sensor quality of my 006 and that of the 70mm vs the 63mm Fujinon is not looking too good for Leica (the EVF in the Fuji is pretty terrible, however). The fact remains that they need an update sooner rather than later, even if they only let the owners know that they intend to release a new camera. The attrition rate of the system appears pretty high (at least looking at all the people selling off their S gear for fractions of the new price). George W. Bush was president when the S system was set at 37mp. Even the S007 is nearly 4 years old, and if you are primarily interested in image quality at lower ISO's, that was basically a side-grade rather than an upgrade. It has been nearly that long since a new lens has been released, and neither have there been any major accessories added (other than the SL adapter, but no teleconverters or an elpro for the 120 macro, for example). I would say the pace is glacial, but since I live in Iceland I know that the glaciers are receding much quicker than that...

Agree. It is very interesting because the Thalia line shows that the S lenses weren’t completely ignored. When the discussion is that Thalia gives a “softer” look, it makes me think that increasing the Megapixels may not work as well as we’d want with s lenses (the AF precision being another obvious limitation). Still, S2 (2009), 006 (2012), 007 (2015). So this year is still on schedule.

That said, I think Leica benefits from having fans of the system. They can push the S 007 down in price (S-E 007) to 8K and then launch a S 008.

Personally I would follow the M tradition or Sony’s lead. There are Sony fans who have the a7R and the a7S the same way people have a M Monochrom and a M10. They could try to put a high dynamic range 6 micron pixel pitch sensor with 2018 level performance, and then a higher resolution Leaf Credo 80 MP style CCD.

When the discussion is that Thalia gives a “softer” look, it makes me think that increasing the Megapixels may not work as well as we’d want with s lenses

Cinematographers want "soft". That term is the opposite of "harsh," not of "sharp."

A lens that is too harsh will render skin tones in an unpleasing way, and it will have busy bokeh (background blur). That quality has nothing to do with how many line pairs a lens resolves from a test chart (which isn't an issue for cinema lenses anyway; cinema frames have much lower resolution than stills frames).

• Like 2

Exactly what Bernard says, although one would certainly expect Thalia lenses to resolve enough for large format 6,5/8K sensors :-)

And while that most likely wouldn’t be a problem, I‘d also expect the Thalia series to draw the image a little less surgical than the Leica S series. Different strokes, really.

That said, I’d certainly like to do some tests, before the shooting period starts.

Edited by peterv

Hehe, well the S2 was 8K resolution already.  But for a less clinical rendering, would a 100MP sensor be wasted?  I suppose you'd always gain the increase in color resolution (from Bayer) but the question is if there wasn't an increase in MP in S008, what would we want?  More dynamic range?  Lower cost?  6K or 8K video without crop?

My view is that video is different, has different ideal requirements and not of interest to every photographer and so the potential customer base might be even smaller.
The dynamic range of my S is the largest of any camera that I have used personally. I don't see a need for more for MY photography at least.
Lower cost is a whole subject on its own, I think.

My own system reservations are about how robust the body and lenses actually are. My standard lens having failed twice and the body needing replacement of the  whole back and adjustment for suspected shock and liquids contamination, although they have never been abused. These over 45 000 plus exposures I must add.

From what I can see predicted on price range for the Thalia cine lenses these would appeal to a very few professionals perhaps? It looks like typically the new ones might cost as much as the S body on its own each. Shall leave that to those with different wants and desires anyway.

Again speaking only for myself. the characteristics of the current S lenses are what I value most about the system in the fist place. I can see the arguments for a higher resolution sensor, whether that's influenced by what people expect in the marketplace or what they might use. I would be disappointed if it meant a tradeoff in dynamic range or other properties though. I don't see the lenses as 'surgical' or "clinic' or too sharp. I would much rather have the option to reduce those properties in developing or my shooting technique if wanted than the opposite. 

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/248412-studio-fashion-with-the-s-system/
https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/247391-studio-portraits-s-cameras/

Hehe, well the S2 was 8K resolution already.  But for a less clinical rendering, would a 100MP sensor be wasted?  I suppose you'd always gain the increase in color resolution (from Bayer) but the question is if there wasn't an increase in MP in S008, what would we want?  More dynamic range?  Lower cost?  6K or 8K video without crop?

I would leave the system. I use the S as a field ready option for high resolution images to make big prints. If I can get higher resolution from literally every other camera manufacturer, it does not make any sense to hold on to the system, as nice as the other characteristics are. I did not find the dynamic range, speed or nearly anything else limiting in the S2 or S006 other than resolution and long exposure time. If the S resolution is not substantially upgraded, I will look to a 100mp back from another company. That would be a huge cost blow to me, as I have sunk a huge amount of money into the S system (two bodies and six lenses) and have used it for 8 years, but if Leica cannot at least keep up with the crowd, I cannot justify my costs to my clients.