S 008

BigBabyEarl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just taking a guess but that might be Fuji. The IBIS of the X-H1 looks like it was designed with larger sensor sizes in mind. But any kind of image stabilisation becomes much harder with increasing sensor sizes so it’s hard to tell.

That was my guess... but I was hoping Leica (although not expecting). :)

I’d settle for an improved S zoom, with OIS.

Jeff

Leica has released a 55mm T:2.8 Thalia (large format cinema) lens, so I guess we can expect an S version to come out at the same time as the next S camera.

That would be a great idea, although I hope it will be as short as possible, ideal for walk-around.

• 1 month later...

WOW! 

If I have choice, I would swarp all my S auto lens to full manual and be done with it. 

Me too. Alas the Thalia lenses cost over $25000 each. I think even if I had that kind of money, it'd be the opposite of fun using them. The Thalias do cover an image circle of 60mm in diameter, which is larger than the S but a bit smaller than the 66mm required by the 100MP Sony sensor at 4:3, at least on paper.

Edited by alan.y
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Me too. Alas the Thalia lenses cost over $25000 each. I think even if I had that kind of money, it'd be the opposite of fun using them. The Thalias do cover an image circle of 60mm in diameter, which is larger than the S but a bit smaller than the 66mm required by the 100MP Sony sensor at 4:3, at least on paper.

Based on Leica S vignette and bokeh performance on S, I feel designed S lens must have bigger image circle than S. S glass never has corner issue of heavy vignette or funky bokeh I saw normally associate with 35mm system. (R and M glass included)  This is one of the reason I like output from S lens combine with the sensor. 

• Like 2

Based on Leica S vignette and bokeh performance on S, I feel designed S lens must have bigger image circle than S. S glass never has corner issue of heavy vignette or funky bokeh I saw normally associate with 35mm system. (R and M glass included)  This is one of the reason I like output from S lens combine with the sensor. 

I think they should be bigger. But they physically cut off as I have tried that on Hasselblad HCD lens which is also only meant to resolve 44x33 sensor. They have a hard cut off in their image circle when adapting it to Alpa FPS + IQ3100mp. Leica is never going to do a larger than 45x30 sensor, so no point making the image circle bigger. I think they go down the same route as Hasselblad. Design the image capability to be bigger and then cut off the edge and only use the sweet spot. That might just explain why it has almost no vignette most of the time. 135 lens use the same tactic too nowadays, Otus... even Sigma.... have you seen the latest 105mm f/1.4... with the 105mm filter thread?

Just taking a guess but that might be Fuji. The IBIS of the X-H1 looks like it was designed with larger sensor sizes in mind. But any kind of image stabilisation becomes much harder with increasing sensor sizes so it’s hard to tell.

I had a short play around with the XH1 at the shop to have a feel of the IBIS. It's pretty good, about the same as the Sony A7 series IBIS. But what impress me more is the shutter system. It is a physical shutter, yet it has almost close to no vibration..... feel even lighter than the in lens leaf shutter.

Great things if they implement this tech to the GFX50r (rangefinder style MF) and the future GFX100s (100mp BSI sensor with 16bit color)

You want to take pictures of your children with that thing?

Yes, if I could, that will be my dream S system. Most (80%) of my family portrait with S are actually manual focus. I trust myself better than Leica S's AF capability especially for family portrait distance. And My most memorable portrait all come from Leica M or R or Zeiss ZF glass with either M or Nikon, almost none from AF lens.

I am a skilled and experienced manual focus user with good eyesight.

In my opinion, without using manual focus with Leica S's OVF is huge waste, this is one of the reason S stand out for me. If I am a professional need work on fast pace, than yes, I need AF but I won't use Leica S to begin with for those work.

Edited by ZHNL

Yes, if I could, that will be my dream S system. Most (80%) of my family portrait with S are actually manual focus. I trust myself better than Leica S's AF capability especially for family portrait distance. And My most memorable portrait all come from Leica M or R or Zeiss ZF glass with either M or Nikon, almost none from AF lens.

I am a skilled and experienced manual focus user with good eyesight.

In my opinion, without using manual focus with Leica S's OVF is huge waste, this is one of the reason S stand out for me. If I am a professional need work on fast pace, than yes, I need AF but I won't use Leica S to begin with for those work.

It just does not look very practical to me for family portraits, independently of the focus method.

It just does not look very practical to me for family portraits, independently of the focus method.

Can you clarify a little about practical? 

I would prefer manual S glass if I can. That was my point. I would never worry about AF motor fail or inaccurate autofocus since I use manual focus most of the time anyway.

Not only I will never worry S system become extinct but also I can use those awesome glasses on any MF or 135 system. Is that make sense?

Can you clarify a little about practical? 

I would prefer manual S glass if I can. That was my point. I would never worry about AF motor fail or inaccurate autofocus since I use manual focus most of the time anyway.

Not only I will never worry S system become extinct but also I can use those awesome glasses on any MF or 135 system. Is that make sense?

I was referring to the camera shown in the link above. This looks far to technical for me to be practical to use. Tripod only? Just not my cup of tea for family stuff.

I was referring to the camera shown in the link above. This looks far to technical for me to be practical to use. Tripod only? Just not my cup of tea for family stuff.

Oh, I see, I was not talking about replace S system with that setup but only about have manual lens with good Leica build quality that can be used on S.

We all know Thalia was based on S design. It has always been my dream to have R type of manual S glass.

• Like 1