M10 in Hong Kong - high price?

Simone_DF

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

At the beginning of 2018 I may be travelling to Hong Kong and I was thinking of getting a M10, but I noticed the prices are somewhat higher than I was expecting. Currently a few shops have it for 58.000/59.000 HKD, more or less 6200/6300€. Isn't it too high? I was expecting something in the 54/55.000 HKD range (5800/5900€). Is it because the camera is still not fully available? Is there a chance the price will go down a bit after Christmas? I've inquired and reputable sellers told me that they are receiving regular shippings and waiting time for preorders is between 2 weeks and 1 month at the moment.

• Like 1

Prices in HK are very supply sensitive. If something is new and in short supply it's unlikely to have a lower price tag than in North America or Europe. Prices slide when availability goes up and demand comes down.

Unless you can get a substantial saving, I wouldn't recommend buying in HK. There are some ok dealers in the city, but there's virtually no consumer protection in the event of something going wrong.

• Like 1

Hi,

At the beginning of 2018 I may be travelling to Hong Kong and I was thinking of getting a M10, but I noticed the prices are somewhat higher than I was expecting. Currently a few shops have it for 58.000/59.000 HKD, more or less 6200/6300€. Isn't it too high? I was expecting something in the 54/55.000 HKD range (5800/5900€). Is it because the camera is still not fully available? Is there a chance the price will go down a bit after Christmas? I've inquired and reputable sellers told me that they are receiving regular shippings and waiting time for preorders is between 2 weeks and 1 month at the moment.

The current price in Europe is €6846. I'm not sure why you would expect Hong Kong prices to be €1,000 lower.

William

The current price in Europe is €6846. I'm not sure why you would expect Hong Kong prices to be €1,000 lower.

William

Because price without VAT in Europe is 5700 and in HK there's no VAT?

Also price of a brand new Typ 262 in HK is 4700€ vs 5500 (4500 without VAT).

Anyway, it makes sense that the price at the moment is higher because of supply constrains and high demand. I still have a few months before my trip, if the price goes down I'll get one, otherwise I'll buy a lens or two :-)