Just bought my first film Leica - an MA

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I fell in love with the camera when I saw it in the metal last week. I tried to tell myself that I didn't really need it and I could just shoot with my little D-Lux 109 camera for the foreseeable future and maybe pick up a used M3 to satisfy my film desires. But the appeal of a brand new film M was too strong and I couldn't resist.

I'm still in a bit of shock that I made the purchase and am fully embracing film at this point, but it somehow makes sense to me :) I'm still waffling on lenses but I may just start my journey with a 35mm or 50mm Summarit 2.4 and see where it takes me. Excited!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 9

I fell in love with the camera when I saw it in the metal last week. I tried to tell myself that I didn't really need it and I could just shoot with my little D-Lux 109 camera for the foreseeable future and maybe pick up a used M3 to satisfy my film desires. But the appeal of a brand new film M was too strong and I couldn't resist.

I'm still in a bit of shock that I made the purchase and am fully embracing film at this point, but it somehow makes sense to me :) I'm still waffling on lenses but I may just start my journey with a 35mm or 50mm Summarit 2.4 and see where it takes me. Excited!

Congrats with your lovely M-A. Hope to see some of your results in the future!

If you bought your M-A new from a dealer there would be some interest here in the serial number or some part of it (e.g. 1234xx), towards figuring out just how many M-As Leica has made/sold so far.

Welcome to the forum!

s-a

Sure, I'll post the serial number info shortly. Edited by logan2z

Woohoo! Great and congratulations! New-new Leica is special pleasure.

Very good choice of lens series. I'm very happy with Summarit 35 2.5 on my film Leica.

Check 50mm frame lines, if you are OK with it to be too close to 75mm frame lines. I'm finding it to be often confusing.  

Check 50mm frame lines, if you are OK with it to be too close to 75mm frame lines. I'm finding it to be often confusing.  

No "75" frame lines in M-A viewfinder.

Just four tiny corners that in no way to confuse with almost complete "50" frame lines.

Congrat, nicest film M.

For the OP, in title MA is not M-A ;) if one day Leica release MA ...

in Leica land "- " is something to confuse like MP (film) is not M-P (digital)

No "75" frame lines in M-A viewfinder.

Just four tiny corners that in no way to confuse with almost complete "50" frame lines.

Congrat, nicest film M.

For the OP, in title MA is not M-A ;) if one day Leica release MA ...

in Leica land "- " is something to confuse like MP (film) is not M-P (digital)

Thanks!  And sorry about the typo in the model name.  Leica doesn't make its nomenclature very easy.  I'm still struggling to remember what's a Summarit, Summacron, Summilux, ...  :)

Edited by logan2z

Congratulations on your purchase - a special purchase and I appreciate the 'shock' feeling you have, but the investment is worthwhile. Re lenses - the 35mm Summicon f/2 is prob the most versatile I guess, but if on a budget check out used stock, and also third party brands like Voigtlander

Congratulations on entering the world of film photography. I am sure you will not regret it. I shoot a lot with the 35mm Summarit f2,5 and it is a very fine lens. On the 50mm it may be worth looking for a 50mm Zeiss Sonnar f1.5 which is superb.

Gerry

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

I've been waiting for my local Leica dealer to get a 35mm Summarit 2.4 in stock but so far no luck. So I decided to order one from another dealer and it's on its way! Hopefully I'll have it in hand for the weekend and I can finally use my new M-A.

Edited by logan2z

If you bought your M-A new from a dealer there would be some interest here in the serial number or some part of it (e.g. 1234xx), towards figuring out just how many M-As Leica has made/sold so far.

Welcome to the forum!

s-a

The first 4 digits of the serial number are 4914xxx.  Hopefully you'll find that useful.

• Like 1

The first 4 digits of my black M-A are also 4914xxx and i bought it new in November 2015.

logan2z,

FWIW my camera is dated 07/25/2017 

please put date in german format (yyyy/mm/dd) as marked on the box or in the Test card.

If you don't mind, please report your M-A serial number and date of manufacture here:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/236926-i-love-my-m-a/page-25

to have them in one place and to understand or to "bet" how many M-A on the market in black or silver .

Thanks.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1