APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280 on the TL2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On another thread, someone (sorry can't remember who or where) asked me to post some images using the SL 90-280 on the TL2.  It's raining here today, and I am working from home.  I poked the lens out the door and took some pictures (sorry, they're a little mundane).  Will add to this as I get more.

ISO was set on automatic (sorry, didn't check).  Mostly wide open.

Jasmin growing through the bamboo (I need to dig this out).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 4

Roses that need to go into the bin.

• Like 4

A picture I took a few days ago when someone suggested that this lens didn't work on the TL2.

• Like 4

Ergonomically, this lens is big on the TL2 - you're really supporting the lens with your hand and the camera is hanging off the end.  I wouldn't just hold the camera, with the lens supported on the mount - at least, not for long.

AF hunts a bit, but that's the nature of AF I guess.  Switched over to MF, magnification comes up automatically as you move the focus ring.  It seems that image stabilisation works.

I like the out of focus rendering; at 420mm equivalent, you do need to think about aperture and depth of field.  Handheld, it's quite manageable (which surprised me).  I would prefer to use a tripod, though, I'd have to say.

Cheers

John

The thought expressed in a thread on the SL forum was that putting a TL2 with 24 MPx behind the 90-280 made the idea of a 1.4x extender, as was available for the R telephotos, completely unnecessary.  What do you think?  Is a TL2 with Visoflex 020 the equivalent of an SL with a (non-existent) 135-420 Vario-Elmarit?  For which subjects?

The thought expressed in a thread on the SL forum was that putting a TL2 with 24 MPx behind the 90-280 made the idea of a 1.4x extender, as was available for the R telephotos, completely unnecessary. What do you think? Is a TL2 with Visoflex 020 the equivalent of an SL with a (non-existent) 135-420 Vario-Elmarit? For which subjects?

TL2 + 90-280SL produces excellent image quality (the best I have seen with cropped sensor), but the handling limits its usefulness to quasi-static subjects. The handling of SL + 90-280 is, in my view, superior.

Additional benefits with the SL are that you can change all settings - and move the focus point - without removing the eye from the EVF.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I look at it this way - you can "enlarge" your subject optically by using a longer focal length, you can increase the focal length by adding an extension tube, you can use a cropped sensor or you can crop the images - each is valid, each has a trade-off of some sort.

The underlying question about gaining a 1.5x crop by using the TL2 on an SL lens is whether the resulting 24MP image is "better" than a 10MP image obtained cropped from the SL. They won't be the same for the same field of view (8 micron blur circle cf 12 micron).

But, if you need the added reach, from 280-420mm, then sure, the TL2 on the 90-280mm SL zoom is the only game in town. All the electronics in the lens work on the TL2 (same mount as the SL, and OIS works), and there is no reduction in aperture you get with an extender.

I'm not sure how often I would need such reach, but by the time you use the 90-280 zoom, you're carrying a lens with a camera hanging off the end - whether it's an SL or the TL2 is academic. The TL2 is the best option if the image you want is the best image in the centre of the lens' image circle.

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1