Repairs on a Leica R7

wagner

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Morning!

Had lately worked on two Leica R7. Always wanted an R7 and, since I like to fix things, I bought two 'faulty" cameras for a good price.

Well, the first R7 was optically in a very good condition. Hardly been used. But, there were two issues. The viewfinderpicture was completely soft and the lever for the "+/_" ASA correction was "loose".

The faulty ASA correction is a relatively common problem. What happens is, that the lever was moved without pressing the release button. The "lever" is a plastic ring with a "fork" , engaged to a inner ring. And one pin of the fork broke.

Theoretically the ring needs to be replaced, but since spare parts a rare,  that wasn't possible. So I fitted an 1mm metal pin a drilled hole and glued the pin wit 2 component glue. Works perfectly. Probably more robust now...  ;) 
The finder: the issue here was, that the - adjustable - lens element of the the okular was missing... no clue, why it was removed....

Anyway, here I had luck, and could fit one from a broken R5.

That was was it on this R7, Now to the other one. This camera was in a little crash and the "Leica" cover on the top was hanging loose on 1 screw and badly scratched.

Generally the camera was still working fine, but ther were as well two issues: the shutter speed time wasn't displayed in the viewfinder and the programm-/aperture automatic didn't work properly.

After removing the top cover it was clear what the problems were: the 2 mirrors for the shutter speed "projection" were out if position. (on the photo you can see the LED board on top, an further down the 2 little mirrors) took me some time to get them right again, but at the end was successful.

The problem with the aperture automatic was  as well a mechanical one. The little lever- switch, when the smallest aperture get set ) was stuck. A little drop of oil was bringing the mechanic back to work! 

So, now I've got 2 nice fully working  Leica R7. :)  Although I still like my R9 and my older ones - R5/SL/SL2 - I must admit, that I enjoy using the R7. This camera is probably the most advanced "classic" SLR. (maybe besides the Nikon FM3a.)

Torsten 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's always good to give stuff a new lease of life. My R3 shutter became unreliable (sometimes not opening at 1/500 or 1/1000th) and all the places I tried said it cannot be repaired (let me know if you want to try :)  )

I bought a very cheap R3 body from an auction house, via the net. There's a reason why it was cheap of course, which I only found out when I collected it, the little metal 'prong' in the battery chamber was missing! Damn (I thought).

I thought OK, I can open it up and weld a small prong back in. After looking online and finding some diagrams of the R3 innards, I found that it would be no good removing the base plate to get to the other side of the battery chamber would mean stripping the whole camera down. Damn again!!

As a matter of curiosity more than anything I thought that if the 'prong' was still attached behind the battery chamber, if I could poke some small metal strip in there and put batteries in, maybe just maybe it would connect. The only thing to hand was a good old paperclip so I bent it into an L shape, pushed it it, put the batteries in and screwed on the cover..........amazingly it has worked!!

It might be a faff when I have to come to fit new batteries (I can't believe it was that easy to get the paperclip to connect inside) but it's saved an otherwise dead R3 from landfill.

It's always good to give stuff a new lease of life. My R3 shutter became unreliable (sometimes not opening at 1/500 or 1/1000th) and all the places I tried said it cannot be repaired (let me know if you want to try :)  )

I bought a very cheap R3 body from an auction house, via the net. There's a reason why it was cheap of course, which I only found out when I collected it, the little metal 'prong' in the battery chamber was missing! Damn (I thought).

I thought OK, I can open it up and weld a small prong back in. After looking online and finding some diagrams of the R3 innards, I found that it would be no good removing the base plate to get to the other side of the battery chamber would mean stripping the whole camera down. Damn again!!

As a matter of curiosity more than anything I thought that if the 'prong' was still attached behind the battery chamber, if I could poke some small metal strip in there and put batteries in, maybe just maybe it would connect. The only thing to hand was a good old paperclip so I bent it into an L shape, pushed it it, put the batteries in and screwed on the cover..........amazingly it has worked!!

It might be a faff when I have to come to fit new batteries (I can't believe it was that easy to get the paperclip to connect inside) but it's saved an otherwise dead R3 from landfill.

Reminds me of the can ring-pull handlebar repair in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance; very satisfying, very Zen.

• Like 1

Hi Torsten,

good work, very well done. As you know, I do the same works on R's.

I'm also looking for a defect R7 as you did. Maybe it'll be the same way....;-)

Your report will help me.

Thanks a lot!

Greetings from Stuttgart

Tom

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
Am 5.9.2017 um 10:25 schrieb wagner:

Morning!

Had lately worked on two Leica R7. Always wanted an R7 and, since I like to fix things, I bought two 'faulty" cameras for a good price.

Well, the first R7 was optically in a very good condition. Hardly been used. But, there were two issues. The viewfinderpicture was completely soft and the lever for the "+/_" ASA correction was "loose".

The faulty ASA correction is a relatively common problem. What happens is, that the lever was moved without pressing the release button. The "lever" is a plastic ring with a "fork" , engaged to a inner ring. And one pin of the fork broke.

Theoretically the ring needs to be replaced, but since spare parts a rare,  that wasn't possible. So I fitted an 1mm metal pin a drilled hole and glued the pin wit 2 component glue. Works perfectly. Probably more robust now... 

The finder: the issue here was, that the - adjustable - lens element of the the okular was missing... no clue, why it was removed....

Anyway, here I had luck, and could fit one from a broken R5.

That was was it on this R7, Now to the other one. This camera was in a little crash and the "Leica" cover on the top was hanging loose on 1 screw and badly scratched.

Generally the camera was still working fine, but ther were as well two issues: the shutter speed time wasn't displayed in the viewfinder and the programm-/aperture automatic didn't work properly.

After removing the top cover it was clear what the problems were: the 2 mirrors for the shutter speed "projection" were out if position. (on the photo you can see the LED board on top, an further down the 2 little mirrors) took me some time to get them right again, but at the end was successful.

The problem with the aperture automatic was  as well a mechanical one. The little lever- switch, when the smallest aperture get set ) was stuck. A little drop of oil was bringing the mechanic back to work! 

So, now I've got 2 nice fully working  Leica R7.   Although I still like my R9 and my older ones - R5/SL/SL2 - I must admit, that I enjoy using the R7. This camera is probably the most advanced "classic" SLR. (maybe besides the Nikon FM3a.)

Torsten 

Dear Torsten, 

very interesting article. I’ve got the same problem with my R7 (the asa dial is not adjustable). 

would it be possible to share some insights on how to remove the top plate of the R7? That would help a lot.

thanks a lot 

Jan

Hi jan!

Hope i can remember all the steps now. Let me think. I would start with the wind lever: remove plastic cover (screw under the leaver) and then undo the- Philips - screw on the axis. Then the leaver can be removed. Take care about the little spring under the leaver, which sits in a little plastic ring. Then there is a  brass ring - special tool needed - with 2 slots which needs to get unscrewed. Take care about the washers.

The eyecup; remove the the "leather" strip and remove the 2 srews. Remove the screw on the left side of the finder.

On the left side: remove the crank: Put a screwdrive  in the - film - slot an unwind the crank. Under the crank you find again a ring with 2 slots. Remove the ring. Then You can remove the "ASA rIng assembling". Guess, there were some washers, so take care about them. 

On the front: Take out the top screw of the lens mount. (Guess it makes sense to loosen slightly the other screws of the mount, to give a little play to the cover) 

I think the "Leica plate" can stay, but you might remove it as well. (2 screws)

Now you should be able to carefully remove the cover. (Take care about the ribbon. )

The procedure is not that tricky, but you should have some experience with that kind of work. 

Certain things do need special attention when put back the cover, for instance:

diopter adjustment, position of the rings, (time ring, ASA ring), spring of the wind leaver.

Hope, I haven't forgotten anything. Good luck for your repair.

Torsten 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just bought an R7 for a (relative) song, which was sold as "for parts" because it has significant corrosion on the chrome parts and was described as "seems to work" which I took as "probably doesn't function 100% as it should". I want to repair the stop down lever/mechanism on one R7 and nick a blanking plate for another one (just for cosmetic reasons). 

It arrived this morning and yes, the outer chrome parts, top and bottom, looked bad. Also there was some foam degradation of the rear door, almost certainly accelerated because of damp storage (it smelled musty too).

I gave it a quick functional check. It seemed to work. So I gave it a full functional once-over and it's perfect. No problems anywhere. Meter, stop-down, P, T, A, +/-, ISO, displays, LEDs... - everything checks out.

Gave it a good cleaning and so much grime came off, leaving a shiny, yet still bubbled of course, finish top and bottom. Optically completely clear. Bad foam removed and cleaned up well.

So now I can't bring myself to steal parts from it. I'll replace the light seals that I removed and it will live on! I do love these R7s.

And now I have to find another for parts 🙂

• Thanks 1