Capture One 10 Pro files look different after export

Csacwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm having trouble getting retouched portraits to export correctly in Capture One 10 Pro.  I'm editing raw files and exporting them as high quality jpegs, and I'm using a calibrated NEC monitor.  I have my export recipe set to the sRGB profile, and my proof profile is set to "selected recipe", although changing that has not made any difference.

​The exported jpegs are far more saturated than the edited image appears in Capture.  The skin tones are quite red and look sunburned.  I've opened these jpegs in Windows photo viewer and on internet explorer and they look very different.  When I import the jpegs back into Capture, they look like they should.  Anybody know what could be the problem?  I've scoured the web but not found any answers, and Phase One's customer service server is down and can't receive my request for technical help.

Update:  The jpegs look fine when viewed with Googlel Chrome instead of Internet Explorer, so I presume that Internet Explorer is not color managed?  Since much of the world uses it and Windows picture viewer to view downloaded photos, how am I supposed to share my photos with others online such that they can see the correct colors?

Update:  The jpegs look fine when viewed with Googlel Chrome instead of Internet Explorer, so I presume that Internet Explorer is not color managed?  Since much of the world uses it and Windows picture viewer to view downloaded photos, how am I supposed to share my photos with others online such that they can see the correct colors?

When you've figured that out you will also have to go round to their house to calibrate their monitor.

• Like 2

As an experiment, try exporting them as tiffs to see if the colour is better for you. Then convert that to jpeg. I know it is an extra step, but it it may show you if there is a problem with you exporting jpegs directly.

The exported JPEGS are far more saturated than the edited image appears in Capture One.

They aren't. Your photo viewing software just makes them falsely look that way. Your monitor has a native gamut wider than sRGB, and your viewer is not colour-managed.

Toss your viewer and replace it with another which can be colour-managed.

... so I presume that Internet Explorer is not color-managed?

Exactly.

I don't use Internet Explorer but Mozilla Firefox. This browser can do colour management but it's disabled by default; you must enable it before you can use it. Maybe in Internet Explorer, it's the same?

... how am I supposed to share my photos with others online such that they can see the correct colors?

You aren't.

Edited by 01af

I maintain a couple of websites and out of 45 visits in the past week only 6 visitors used Internet Explorer while 2 used Edge.  So non-color managed browsers are becoming less of a problem.  Microsoft has said Internet Explorer 11 is the final version, so it will eventually go away.

I wouldn't say non-colour managed browsers are a problem. The fact that Microsoft always says colour management is for when the application software knows the data it has to deal with and Firefox has it switched off by default gives a strong indication that random image files on the internet can't be managed colour wise.