Sold my SL and bought a TL2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well I had a good time with my SL, but its time to upgrade to the TL2..............Maybe wondering why I said upgrade and the reason is because its an upgrade for me. I originally bought the SL to use with my Noctilux 0.95 as the EVF on the SL helped make nailing focus a whole bunch easier. The second reason was because I wanted something small to have a walk about camera to take with me when using my Soo7.  After 9 months (I think I've had it that long) of lugging that brick around I now realize that the SL is not an ideal walk about camera...........FOR ME.

If I could I would have a M10 as I like the look of it and also like the size of it, but unfortunately my disappearing eyesight means I can know longer use a rangefinder. So then out of the blue I heard about the Leica TL2 and ordered one today from Ffordes in Scotland. I also ordered the 35mm Summerlux f1.4 TL lens and as I already have the SL to M adapter I will be able to use my Noctilux on the TL2 either using the big screen or the IVF................I'm hopeing that either of those focusing aids will make it possible to shoot the Noctilux on the TL2.

I haven't held the TL2 but from what I can see on the web and from listing to what TL2 owners have said, I think this could be the perfect camera for my trip to Japan in November to shoot the atom colors, and of course the pretty Japanese ladies dressed in there colorful costumes.........no need for a tripodas the TL2 is good for 5000 ISO.

I still have two weeks to go on the rig before getting home, the camera should be waiting for me when I get home........pictures to follow.

Neil

• Like 1

my trip to Japan in November to shoot the atom colors, 

Neil

..... I hope the typo is not prophetic - with the way North Korea is behaving .....  :mellow:

It's nice to know there's someone on the forum that gets through cameras quicker than me ..... beat you to a TL2 though .....

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 3

Good luck.

The TL2 weighs about 510g with the Visoflex. Combined with the Noctilux the overall size doesn't look much smaller than the SL and Noctilux at 847g.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#639.275.3,717.275.3,ha,t

When combined with the Noctilux you will basically have a less capable camera with no real grip, a much smaller battery, a different field of view and less shallow DOF.

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Good luck.

The TL2 weighs about 510g with the Visoflex. Combined with the Noctilux the overall size doesn't look much smaller than the SL and Noctilux at 847g.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#639.275.3,717.275.3,ha,t

When combined with the Noctilux you will basically have a less capable camera with no real grip, a much smaller battery, a different field of view and less shallow DOF.

Correct..............exciting times ahead :)

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

..... I hope the typo is not prophetic - with the way North Korea is behaving .....  :mellow:

It's nice to know there's someone on the forum that gets through cameras quicker than me ..... beat you to a TL2 though .....

Gordon

Its not a typo...........unfortunately I'm not a very god speller !!

Neil

I got SL recently but without SL lens yet, so I use my T zooms on it. while the body is sonewhat nigger than T, I feel it is actually more comfortable then T with T zoom.The total pixel count us less with T though (16mp vs 12mp) and it is more do compared to TL2 (24mp vs. 12mp).

It would be good to know how you comoare the pictures of the TL2 kit lens with SL kit lens.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I want a super portable camera for my M lenses and when I'm okay with the APS-C format, I go to my Ricoh GXR + M Mount Module + EVF.   The image quality is excellent (unto 1600 ISO) and full of character although in a rendering style that is different from Leica's.  You can get that combo for less than $500-600 today.

I got SL recently but without SL lens yet, so I use my T zooms on it. while the body is sonewhat nigger than T, I feel it is actually more comfortable then T with T zoom.The total pixel count us less with T though (16mp vs 12mp) and it is more do compared to TL2 (24mp vs. 12mp).

It would be good to know how you comoare the pictures of the TL2 kit lens with SL kit lens.

I think you'll find that the SL with your TL zooms results in 10MP images (I haven't done the calculations - that's what I understand from reading elsewhere).  Still acceptable, I'd say, but the same image, taken with the TL zoom, will result in a 24MP image on the TL2 and a 10MP image on the SL.

I don't intend to use either of my TL lenses on my SL as I don't see an advantage in APS-C images, when the M and SL lenses are available and so very good.

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

I think he was referring to its 1.25 aperture, compared to 1.4 Summilux-M vs current .95 Noctilux-M.

Jeff

That makes no sense, to me, I'm sorry Jeff.

The field of view will be equivalent to 75mm full frame, but the depth of field (wide open) will be equivalent tot he 75 Summarit.  I'm not sure what the 75 Summilux has to do with it.

I think he was referring to its 1.25 aperture, compared to 1.4 Summilux-M vs current .95 Noctilux-M.

Jeff

The magic in the Noctilux is more about the image quality wide open with extremely shallow DOF than the light gathering for me.

That's lost by putting it on an APS C camera. You may as well shoot a 75 Summicron or Summarit unless you need the low light ability.

The field of view will be equivalent to 75mm full frame, but the depth of field (wide open) will be equivalent tot he 75 Summarit.  I'm not sure what the 75 Summilux has to do with it.

I'm talking about equivalence/aperture/dof - putting a 50 Noctilux on a crop sensor will be more like the effect of a Summilux on FF. 

The field of view will be equivalent to 75mm full frame, but the depth of field (wide open) will be equivalent tot he 75 Summarit. I'm not sure what the 75 Summilux has to do with it.

My comment had nothing to do with equivalency or even lens characteristics. It was simply that the predicted TL 75 f1.25 is apparently being marketed as a Noctilux rather than a Summilux.

Jeff

I'm talking about equivalence/aperture/dof - putting a 50 Noctilux on a crop sensor will be more like the effect of a Summilux on FF. 

Okay, so let's look at that:

• TL2, with 24MP APS-C sensor, blur spot of 8 microns, Noctilux wide open focused at 2 metres, depth of field is 26mm
  • SL, also with 24MP full frame, blur spot of 12 microns, 75 Summilux also wide open, focused at 2 metres, depth of field is 20mm
  • SL with 75 Summarit, all else being equal, depth of field 34mm

So, for the same field of view, the Noctilux mounted on the TL2 will give between the two (the calculator isn't that accurate at f/2.4); perhaps closer to the 75 Summilux, if you prefer - my calculation puts it closer to the Summarit.

PS - I've edited this as I forgot to change the blur circle for the SL.

Edited by IkarusJohn