Portraiture with the 35mm f1.4 TL......post um up here

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would be very interested to see how amazing anyone including me can get that "3D isolation effect" with the 35mm f1.4 Summerlux TL lens on the TL2. Now from my experience with the Noctilux on my Soo6 and 7 you really need to get up close and nasty to be able to really blow out the background and isolate the subject. With the 35mm Summerlux being an equivalent to 50mm this is an ideal FOV to be able to do that............... 

Below is an example of what I am hoping to see from this lens when I get it in 2 weeks time.............so between now and then please post um up and see what you can do :) :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
  • Like 3

I should receive my 35 TL Summerlux this week. I am not sure I will be impressed with it as a portrait lens though because I read somewhere that the DOF (combined with TL APSC sensor) will be like a 50mm F2.4 on Full Frame. Of course the 1.4 light gathering capacity will be really helpful in low light but I am sure the out of focus area (bokeh) will not be as pleasing as with my ex 50mm f1.4 summilux asph.

This is what torned me about this 35mm before I finally decided to buy it and see by myself.

I'll scavenge some of my files to see what I may have.

At the moment, if I want to live for the rest of today, this is the closest I could come to  "portraiture" without applying cosmetics and make up.  (jpeg w minimal pp)

Edited by ropo54

2 portraits shot with the 35/1.4TL lens...lol

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Found these; not sure whether they'll help you. 35 1.4 TL on T

Not exactly what you are looking for but another 35 1.4 TL shot I came across

• Like 2

thats the same one that i ordered...........

You're being teased, Neil.

Summilux, not Sumerlux; their, not there; that's, not thats

Anyone would think the debenture is kicking in   :(  and before anyone gives me grief, dementia is in my family.  At the first sign, I'm opening a magnum of pinot and going out in a drunken mess of my own making, rather than as a dribbling shadow of my former self.  In between, there's a lot you can do, learning new skills, reading and generally keeping your brain working (rather than sitting on the couch watching TV).

I've ordered the lens.  

I thought it might be useful to provide some depth of field comparisons (using TrueDoF Pro):

First, the 35 Summilux-TL f/1.4 ASPH on the TL2, focused wide open at 2 metres.  The sensor is 23.6 x 15.7 mm with 6016 x 2016 pixels, resulting in a blur spot of 7.85 microns.  This results in a dof of 69mm (34mm in front, 35mm behind).

The equivalent on the SL, with 36 x 24 mm 6000 x 4000 pixel sensor giving a blur spot of 12 microns, to achieve the same dof would be a 52mm lens shot at f/2.4, or more realistically a 50 Summicron-M shot at f/2.  Whether or not the lens achieves the same clarity as the APO Summicron-M 50/2, I sorely doubt it ...

Cheers

John

Neil, you're a barrel of laughs!

Magnum - 1.5 litre bottle of wine, followed by Jeroboam of 3 litres; Methuselah, 6 litres; Salmanazar, 9 litres; Balthazar, 12 litres; and last, Nebuchadnezzar, 15 litres.

The blur spot, or circle of confusion, is important for your comparisons.  It means that the 35 Summmilux-TL shot at 1.4 WILL NOT give you similar images to any other Summilux-M you may use on your SL.

Your Noctilux, just for completeness, used on your TL2 wide open at 2 metres will result in a dof of 24mm, which will give you a full frame equivalent on your SL of a 75mm lens, shot at f/2.5 (a 75 Summarit-M 2.4, for example).

I raise this because I anticipate you're going to come back here once you get your TL2 and complain that your images shot wide open do not have the same look as your SL or S images.  

Just a point for you to consider, Neil - you don't get on with the M rangefinder, yet you like the look of the M10.  The M10 and the TL2 use exactly the same Visoflex (type 020) EVF - if you are happy with that EVF, then I think you should order the M10.  By the time you get it (the waiting list is long), you will have used the TL2 and sold it because it doesn't give the Leica 3D "pop" you are looking for.

Just saying.

Edited by IkarusJohn

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I hear you mate. And your probably correct about the M-10. But at the end of the day it's not the camera that makes pictures it's the photographer and I'm confident that I WILL be able to make the TL2 pictures pop...........

Does that IVF really fit on the M10. I thought it was a rangefinder??

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Yes, the M10 and TL2 take the same EVF - the typ020 Visoflex.  It has 2.36MP, so I isn't as good as the 4.4MP on the SL, but it's good enough.

You can only p!ss with the c@ck you got...........as they say in Dundee

• Like 1