Which following 50mm lens would you pick? V2 lux, rigid cron, c-sonnar, Nokton 1.5.

autograph

another vote for the Nokton.  The most recent Voitglander lenses are surprisingly good.

+1 for the latest Nokton 50mm f1.5 VM

Its well made, its sharp, it has modern contrast, its compact and lightweight and its price is a steal ...

The C-sonar depends on how its optimised and what camera its used on. If its 1.5 then only 1.5 and f8+ will be out of focus shift range, f2.8 optimisation is more useful as f2.8+ are out of focus shift range but more difficult to use f1.5 by leaning forward, particularly with film cameras

rgds

Edited by colonel

Since you already have the Zeiss 35mm Distagon, I'd go for the Zeiss 50mm Planar. Yes, it's not ne of your contemplated lenses, but if you're happy wit the Zeiss 35 Distagon, I believe you'd be happy with a new Planar.  Contrasty? Yes, compared with Leica;  Sharp? Yes, Expensive?  No. 

Had the 50 Version 2 Summilux and sold it. 

Just a thought.

When there is the possibility to acquire an original Summilux for that price it should not be missed. All others are usually available and can be traded with the Summilux afterwards (if neede). I have a Summilux Chrome V2 and I am delighted.

• Like 1

When there is the possibility to acquire an original Summilux for that price it should not be missed. All others are usually available and can be traded with the Summilux afterwards (if neede). I have a Summilux Chrome V2 and I am delighted.

that's the point
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 'Lux weight is too high a price for 1 stop, sold one not long after acquiring.

The Summi's  are great, I love the tabbed V.4

The Nokton also good but see little use

Also consider:

50 2.8 collapsible Elmar most recent version - my fav walking around all day lens

40C - 2.0.  Very overlooked - but may be too close to your 35

• 1 month later...

Since summilux owner cancelled the sale, I'could not buy it.

Than I tried two Sonnar lenses. The first example of Sonnar had an apparent focus shift, and the other one was a very bad copy that had a severe glove and softness at wide-open aperture. 

After all, I purchased a mint Nokton 1.5 M-mount for 385 USD. It has almost flawless optical performance (sharp wide-open, no focus shift at all, modern coating, contrasty)  except little barrel distortion and mild onion rings in bokeh balls (even noctilux 0.95 has it). 

Actually I did not believe that some reviewers statements (the 50 noktondelivers 90% of the Summilux quality for 25% of the price/written in the review) (joerivanderkloet.com and stevehuffphoto.com) until I gave a try. Perhaps , it is impossible to give a percentage, I observed that the results from Nokton can be comparable with the those from my other lenses 35mm Distagon and 75mm APO-Summicron.

Thanks for your inputs.

Edited by autograph
  • Like 2

385 for Nokton-m ? It is lowest price I ever seen for it...

In Turkey, sometimes the prices may be lower than other countries, because it is hard to sell Leica related products, so the seller wants to rush the process.

Edited by CYBORA
  • Like 1