Flash photography with T / TL / TL2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear all,

Yesterday I did my first ever session of indoor off camera flash photography in my appartment with my T.

Everything went fine for a 1st time except one thing : real time exposure liveview which resulted in a black display and the impossibility for me to see my composition and get focus confirmation.

Any idea how to disable this feature on the T ?

Very best,

I have seen this behavior but I did not check it with the flash and my settings.

Even if there is a little view of the scene it is not enough to confirm the composition and the focus because I like to focus center and then recompose... :(

I feel stuck !

I am surprised Leica didn't put such obvious feature on the T and even TL2 because this is such a basic problem with flash photography and mirrorless camera. I wish they do something in the future.

I had also hoped that my TL2 would have had an option to do this but sadly it does NOT.  I like to shoot in M mode with flash.  I simply could not use my T for flash work.  Now I cannot use my TL2.  Hard to believe in 2017 and with the SL having this standard and basic feature.   I have to pull out my Nikon Df.  For me this is greatest disappointment with my TL2. 

Hard to believe in 2017 and with the SL having this standard and basic feature

The SL has this feature, but it's not like the SL is well supported for use with studio flash either. Pretty much every other major manufacturer supports HSS and TTL for off camera third party studio flash but not the Leica.

• 4 years later...
On 9/7/2017 at 10:39 AM, Starwolfy said:

If this is true it's very surprising too for the SL when you know the target is mainly for professionals (which then include studio shootings).

What about the S ?

Does anyone know how to report a firmware "wish" to Leica ?

Leica did respond to your wish in 2018 with its firmware upgrade on CL and SL to allow users to disable the exposure preview in M mode by toggling between "PSAM" and "PSA". They did not do that for TL2. This means, even 3 years after this original post in this thread, we still see a very dark screen if you take photos in M mode with your TL2 and a flash when there is not enough light and you like to keep your ISO low. The ideal solution is for Leica to do a firmware update to allow the exposure preview to be disabled.

A workaround I discovered and am using is to use "S" (Shutter Priority) with any flash/trigger on a TL2. It somehow disables the exposure preview. The downside is you cannot select the aperture you like with the native TL/L autofocus lenses since it will use the maximum aperture of your L mount autofocus lenses. With other manual focus lenses (e.g. M lenses), you can set the aperture on the lens itself. This workaround does work with my Leica's own TTL flash (yes in TTL) and any third party flash/trigger in manual mode. Do give it a try if you want to use flash on a Leica TL2. I was just curious in trying to get my little toy working. I love my TL2 and CL. They are my beloved toys.  For normal studio work, I use my SL or my Nikon gear; much easier and productive.

• Thanks 2

I did actually tried studio flash photography last week with my Tl2 and with Elinchrome studioflash.

The screen was as said before dark, but it worked out pretty good i think. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1