Your dream M camera?

Keith_W

• 2 weeks later...

Not being the German speaking forum: M stands for Messsucher = rangefinder. Therefore M will always be a rangefinder.

My wish list:-

• An electronic confirmation of achieving correct focus would be my ideal M camera. 
  • Longer baseline for the RF mechanism would add to the accuracy. 
  • Viewfinder magnification of the image to always fill 70% of the viewfinder and only show the frameline for the lens mounted would be wish number 3. 
  • Wish list not for the camera but for the modern lenses - how about a 120° turn from infiinity to minimum focus distance. 

But there have been many M cameras without rangefinders. The idea that a camera shuold be limited by the historic meaning of its name seems a very strange product strategy, particularly when there seems to be demand fror a camera in the M form, with the SL EVF.

I love my M cameras, but to be honest, the reliance on exact calibration (especially for lenses like the 75 Summilux and Noctilux) with a fixed view (so focus accuracy becomes more hit and miss with longer lenses) is less than optimal. I understand that for some, this might threaten the traditiional M camera, but that also makes little sense to me.

As discussed elsewhere, the likelihood is that such a camera would be L mount, removing the syntactical controversy, such as it is.

• Like 1

http://walterleica.com/services/

I prefer to let my glasses do the work so that I avoid taking them on and off. I still, however, add a .5 diopter, which improves my focusing even more.

A local optician can provide free trial diopters to determine if you could benefit.

Diopters do nothing for astigmatism.

Basically my M10 it is but with:

1. option of independent discrete display (which could be turned on or off) for each of shutter speed,  ISO, and histogram within the optical viewfinder. Generally I would want the latter two off but there are plenty of times such a display option would be really useful. I hate having to bring the camera down from my eye to check shutter speed if I've forgotten what it is or not followed the change when otherwise discracted.

2. adjustable diopter eyepiece

3. firmer indent for Auto and Bulb on the shutter speed dial. Personally I'd like a small lock button on top of the dial similar to the old film Nikons) 

4. big price drop :-)  

5. I would probably look at an EVF-only M (oxymoron) as I could see it being a useful companion to the M10.  Call it the EM or E-M.

6. M10 Monochrom.  I didn't consider the M240 Monochrom enough of a step up to replace my v1 Monochrom

Edited by MarkP

Diopters do nothing for astigmatism.

I'm aware, but the Walter rotating eyepiece provides both diopter and correction for astigmatism...

http://walterrxeyepiece.com/tag/astigmatism/

Don't know if they have one for the M10.

But I prefer to use my glasses for distance and astigmatism, and then add a .5 diopter for ideal viewing.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm aware, but the Walter rotating eyepiece provides both diopter and correction for astigmatism...

http://walterrxeyepiece.com/tag/astigmatism/

Thanks for that. I get conflicting information from optometrists. Perhaps I should just buy a

Walter and find out if it works. It had better work.

Thanks for that. I get conflicting information from optometrists. Perhaps I should just buy a

Walter and find out if it works. It had better work.

Why not use glasses for astigmatism, then if still needed, you can try diopters for free at most any optician? I like to have astigmatism corrected even when I don't have a camera to my eye.

Jeff

Why not use glasses for astigmatism, then if still needed, you can try diopters for free

at most any optician? I like to have astigmatism corrected even when I don't have a camera to my eye.

Jeff I do not know why focusing is so hard for me now, astigmatism or whatever I cannot get my eye

close enough to the viewfinder. It has not always been that way. Another mystery of old age?

Jeff I do not know why focusing is so hard for me now, astigmatism or whatever I cannot get my eye

close enough to the viewfinder. It has not always been that way. Another mystery of old age?

Aging eyes is why the .5 diopter now helps me....didn't need it for many years before that. I seem to recall Rick (our optical expert here) posting that my experience is fairly common among older folks.

I always recommend a good eye exam first to correct for whatever ails, if possible. I even take my camera along and explain the 2m virtual focus patch distance.

Jeff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was touch and go with the Noctilux for subject that are further away

Got an eye check up - new glasses - much better but when the glasses slips even a little I cannot focus accurately again (the focal point has dropped)

So last Sunday went and tried contact lenses (for Myopia and astigmatism combined). What a world of difference. Perfectly clear through the view finder. No more glasses sliding and out of perfect vision.

Give it a try. Might work for you too. 

Of course I need to get a pair of glasses for reading when wearing the Contacts - the reading glasses will be matched to the contact lenses

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

*eagerly awaits the "lynch mob" :wacko:

A Leica M5

Why? It feels in my hand the closest to my Leicaflexes.

My M5 is the only M film camera I use regularly. I gave my M6 to my daughter and sold my Mp3. I like the m5 film loading and the shutter speed disk. Still have the m4

My favorite digital M is the M9 I am trying to dream about the M10 and most probably buy it eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see a somewhat upgraded M10 with (1) better high iso performance, (2) a more user friendly iso knob, (3) a frames/battery indicator (M8 style, purely cosmetic of course) and (4) a M3 like view finder. 

Perhaps a crazy idea but an advance lever which allows for the shutter to cock manually, but at the same time keeping the option of doing so automatically. If the lever is not used for cocking the shutter it can still serve as a very elegant thumbrest. Maybe something for the M10-P (probably not going to happen...).