Your dream M camera?

Keith_W

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My dream Leica is the one I have in my hand. What might be doesn't take anything like as good photos as what I have now. There is an awful lot to be said to being thoroughly familiar with a camera because only then can it work to its best advantage. I am perfectly happy with the M9 to be honest. 'Upgrading' and having to learn a new model is an inevitable part of (digital) photography, but not one that I want to have to go through more often than needed. When my photos are genuinely limited by the camera body I have I will rethink about changing but its not happening yet ;) .

• Like 1

Dream M for me would be:

Digital - an M Monochrom version of the M10 - black chrome, sapphire screen.

Analogue - the M-A - black chrome, but with the recessed windows/raised bezels of the M3, and the clockwork self timer.

Digital/Analogue perfection!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At the risk of getting lynched by rangefinder purists, this is what I would love Leica to produce - an ultimate digital M. 

- lose the rangefinder mechanism

- use an EVF of the same quality as the SL where the current viewing window is

- with the space saved, make the camera smaller - the size of the M3 would be perfect

- include a larger battery

Also nice to have: 

- in body image stabilization (IBIS)

- integrated thumb grip, or at least design a thumb grip that doesn't cover the hot shoe

- no more removal of the bottom plate to get at the SD card and battery. It is annoying and prevents permanent attachment of tripod plates.

Brilliant! Not so keen on IBIS - complicates the camera to no benefit (for me - I haven't seen camera shake as an issue since I sold my Sony A7r).

Meanwhile back on the ranch, the discussion reverts to "It can't be an M". Call it the non-M, then. Great idea, which I hope Leica will make one day.

My ideal M? M10 version of the M-D, with the ability to take an EVF and with WiFi. That, and my current M cameras.

Maybe you have undiscovered astigmatism, in which case a WalterXeyepiece will help. 

I have astigmatism but as I don't take my glasses off to focus don't have problems, especially with my just acquired M10. As a matter of interest what's a "WalterXeyepiece"? Is this something else I could spend my money on?

Cheers, Tom

I have astigmatism but as I don't take my glasses off to focus don't have problems, especially with my just acquired M10. As a matter of interest what's a "WalterXeyepiece"? Is this something else I could spend my money on?

Cheers, Tom

http://walterleica.com/services/

I prefer to let my glasses do the work so that I avoid taking them on and off. I still, however, add a .5 diopter, which improves my focusing even more.

A local optician can provide free trial diopters to determine if you could benefit.

Jeff

• Like 2

At the risk of getting lynched by rangefinder purists, this is what I would love Leica to produce - an ultimate digital M. 

- lose the rangefinder mechanism

[...]

Lynching is not necessary. Ignoring is adequate.

A larger RF viewfinder would be good, and within the purpose design of a Leica M.

Leica has made and sold a number of M cameras without any rangefinder or, indeed, any finders at all. Still, their model names included the capital letter M.

Yes, and it remains a mystery to me. Leica made 'blind' cameras, no RF. So strange. Let us just forgive them for that.

On digital one which is as reliable and as issues free as my Canon gear and with service price and service as reasonable as Canon is. 

On film M, one which will have enough spare parts for another twenty or so years and has young independent technicians to service it.

If it is going to be M9 and M2, but nothing fancy, great then.

Yes, and it remains a mystery to me. Leica made 'blind' cameras, no RF. So strange. Let us just forgive them for that.

Perhaps they made them for blind users.

No, really, they are made for use with other gear which makes rangefinders or even viewfinders useless: when used with the Visoflex or on a microscope or the famous "Post"-cameras which used to be used to take pictures of registered parcels.

• Like 1

Just M cameras from which some optical parts have been removed. Cats without tails remain cats don't they? :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I very much like my M10 but it would be nice to have a couple of features on it that come from the Epson RD-1:

1. the circular, analogue 'speedometer' display showing remaining battery power, pictures remaining, white balance, and jpeg/raw quality, and

2. the ability to flip the LCD over so it looks like a film camera.  

If the RD-1's crank could generate sufficient energy to power the camera through a small battery and trickle charge it (and I realise it never could) then I'd quite like a M3-style crank as well.

Pete.

• Like 1