Your dream M camera?

Keith_W

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At the risk of getting lynched by rangefinder purists, this is what I would love Leica to produce - an ultimate digital M. 

- lose the rangefinder mechanism

- use an EVF of the same quality as the SL where the current viewing window is

- with the space saved, make the camera smaller - the size of the M3 would be perfect

- include a larger battery

Also nice to have: 

- in body image stabilization (IBIS)

- integrated thumb grip, or at least design a thumb grip that doesn't cover the hot shoe

- no more removal of the bottom plate to get at the SD card and battery. It is annoying and prevents permanent attachment of tripod plates.

• Like 1

I think they would have to call it something else, not an 'M'. But I certainly wouldn't mind if they made the camera you are describing. Something the size of the'M' with the viewfinder out of the SL and able to take 'M' lenses (natively or with the TL adapter).

I even agree with the IBIS part as long as the camera size could be kept about the same. I'm worried it would need to add a couple millimeters in thickness, though.

Don't care much one way or another about the bottom plate. Frankly, it's kind of nice being able to swap out the plate for a RRS version that has an integrated tripod mount.

I can well understand that one thinks of a future development stage of the todays M. Nevertheless it is just that incredibly complex rangefinder mechanisme with showing the 28, 35, 50, 75, 90 and 135mm lenses in the window that makes it so fascinating for me. If all this would be gone then all the fascination would be gone with it. Finally all these marvelous lenses would be gone . . . What a pitty. This position is certainly not visionary and based on enterpreneurship. Definitely not. I just speak of an existing product that I own for about 6 months only and that I really love. It is true though that when I got my M10 I did even not understand all these details yet. I was willing to deal with all the insides even though I still do not fully see through all technical built-in solutions as I am not enough the engineer. But I am fascinated by all that.

My dream M camera is a rangefinder of course, otherwise i would not want an M. Mine is a modern camera i.e. a fast and quiet one in RF as well and VF/EVF mode with silent mode, built-in IBIS and basic video capabilities. I don't hold by breath needless to say.

At the risk of getting lynched by rangefinder purists, this is what I would love Leica to produce - an ultimate digital M. 

- with the space saved, make the camera smaller - the size of the M3 would be perfect

Also nice to have: 

- integrated thumb grip, or at least design a thumb grip that doesn't cover the hot shoe

- no more removal of the bottom plate to get at the SD card and battery. It is annoying and prevents permanent attachment of tripod plates.

That would not be an M camera, dream or not. That would be for instance an E-series ( EVF, M-based mount with electronic enhancement) camera.

Well, there is the SL, and there are sure to be more EVF cameras in the future, both by Leica and others. Even now you are spoilt for choice.

EVF cameras are not neccessarily smaller than other viewing systems.

Dream M???

Bought a new Leica MP around 12 years ago.  When I look through the negatives and prints I've made with it, I remember the people I have met and the places I have visited in those images.   Then I'll dream on about the next dozen years of travel and adventures with my Leica MP, because it isn't a disposable camera.

• Like 11

Also nice to have: 

It sounds like you are describing an X-Pro 2 made by Leica. The X-Pro 2 eats batteries as does the M10 with the EVF attached. I don't know about the SL battery usage as I don't have one and I am not interested in a camera that size. The M will continue as a rangefinder camera. My understanding is that Leica is looking at something like the TL series with a viewfinder which is built in. It will probably have a smaller image size than the M and take the TL lens series. This may give you what you want. Leica are unlikely to produce a camera that cannibalises M and SL sales. You will just have to wait and see what emerges. 

William

Edited by willeica
  • Like 1

My dream M would be similar to the M-10 but would be hardier, perhaps a little lighter (titanium), and have no serious problems/glitches for years (other than rfdr adjustment). A built in magnifier might be nice with a quick return to full field (like the pre-M Leicas).  As long as I'm dreaming and not constrained by existent technology, lets also have the same ISO range as the current M-10 without any degradation at the higher end.  Regards,

Edited by Ronazle

Well, I have an M10 too. But I find myself getting frustrated by my inability to get focus in dim light conditions with some subjects at f/1.4. I ALWAYS have to switch to live view and use focus peaking. With that technique I can get 100% repeatable results. With the rangefinder i'm usually a bit off in low light. Since most of my photography is low light, this is unacceptable and I am considering a Visioflex 020. But that would mean I would have no thumb grip ... and hence this thread! 

With some practice it is quite possible to get perfect focus in low light @ 1.4. In fact, it is easier, faster and more accurate than focus peaking.

Check whether your ocular is perfectly adjusted to your eye. The correct diopter will improve your results dramatically. Visit your local optician and hold his correction lenses between your eye and the ocular to discover the right strength.

Maybe you have undiscovered astigmatism, in which case a WalterXeyepiece will help.