ND and color filters

Leicalifer

You might like to try a search...

This has been discussed before, but that's fine. You'll find lots of intercourse on this subject

Film people use red and yellow filters routinely. But it depends what you are photographing...no filter covers everything.

...all best

Edited by david strachan
  • Like 1

If you were going to take one ND and one color filter with your Monochrom type 2 what would would it be?

If it was one of those desert island choices for me it would be an 8x ND and an green filter because I like to lighten foliage, but as David says 'no filter covers everything' and it is all about what you see in your minds eye before leaving the house.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have started using colour filters on my MM246. I have some problems working out the correct exposure, since the filter factor seems to be 'flexible' in different lighting conditions. Does anyone have solid experience with this, enough to make some general observations? Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

I have started using colour filters on my MM246. I have some problems working out the correct exposure, since the filter factor seems to be 'flexible' in different lighting conditions. Does anyone have solid experience with this, enough to make some general observations? Thanks in advance!

Just follow the in-camera metering. There is really nothing to work out, as the camera measures through  the filter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

B+W 040 Orange for landscapes that need other than white sky

ND 8x (3 Stops). makes  real 25 ISo from 200 Camera-ISO. that should do while the camera remains useable, when the Filter cannot be removed quick enough.

both filters together (yes, you can combine them!) make 5 stops or 32x equivalent for those scenes that need even less ISO.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I am finding some degree of both focus shift occurring when I used the BW red filter. No big deal as long as I use the eve nd focus assist. Been shooting mostly with the 50 app and 75 summicron.

I also am reviewing the histogram and using the ev adjustments via thumb wheel to help get the "right look." Using M246. BTW, Didn't have to work this hard when I had the M Monchrome 1,look was different though...

Maybe not the optimum monochrome technique but reduces my workflow in LR6.

• 4 weeks later...

I am finding some degree of both focus shift occurring when I used the BW red filter. No big deal as long as I use the eve nd focus assist. Been shooting mostly with the 50 app and 75 summicron.

I also am reviewing the histogram and using the ev adjustments via thumb wheel to help get the "right look." Using M246. BTW, Didn't have to work this hard when I had the M Monchrome 1,look was different though...

Maybe not the optimum monochrome technique but reduces my workflow in LR6.

It doesnt make sense to me that filters cause focus shift - does the filter color aftect the rangefinder patch contrast ? is that it ?

It doesnt make sense to me that filters cause focus shift - does the filter color aftect the rangefinder patch contrast ? is that it ?

Red filter may cause some "shift of plane of focus".

Not in rangefinder patch, because when using RF for focussing the red finter is on the lens and not in RF path.

Using EVF to focus can cancel this "red shift".

With some lenses ( not apochromatic corrected), the red filter that lets passing only red (long wave) cause focussing behind the film/sensor.

With Apo lenses, this "red flaw" must be minimal.

Not that minimal in all cases.  It depends on the quality of the apochromatic correction. An APO lens has to be corrected for chromatic aberration on three points of the spectrum, normally red, green and blue - but other colours are possible, for instance, a lens designed for astronomy may well be corrected for red, green and UV.

However, anything that happens outside and in between those correction points is anybody's guess. For instance, an apochromatic lens that is corrected at 620 nm may well have a considerable delta focus at 700 nm and higher, and if that happens to be the peak frequency of your red filter, it will have severe focus shift.

Normally a Leica or Zeiss lens with the APO designation will have a reasonably flat delta focus curve, and behave quite well with colour filters, but it is by no means a given.