Tripod

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I chose the TL system in part because I prefer to hand hold a camera and be able to move easily given its light weight. On those occasions when a tripod is indicated because of long exposure or slow shutter speed, which tripod and ball head are well paired in your experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I too am interested in this topic and am wrestling with the elements of material, weight, packing length, cost, durability, and height (I'm 6'2" / 188 cm)

I accept that there's no perfect tripod or tripod for all occasions.

The "well-paired" consideration is a good one.

I have a Gitzo carbon fiber light tripod, but aimrarely use it. Instead, the table top works much better for me. I have a Leica table pod, a Leica minipod, and Manfroto taable top.

The Manfrotto works the best for me, it is stable and flexible, and easy to set due to the fix position of the three legs.

The Leica two pieces big ball head and table pod has its pros and cons. The spread angle of the three legs are flexible, not fixed to 120-120-120 degrees, so it works much better in the wildness when it is hard to find a flat rock or spot. For example, I have used it at Yosemite Glaciers Point, when the little wall at the ridge is not wide enough. I set the leg to 150-150-60 degrees and it stood perfectly. This would not be possible shpuld I used Manfrotto. On the other hand, everytime to set it up, I need to turn and adjust the leg to the proper angle, not as comvrnient.

The Leica minipod is small, pravtically invisible,which helps in the place such as Vantican, where you could get interrupted by the security if they see your pods. The disadvantage is it ball has not tension locks. It is not strong to hold larger lens. But OK for M 35mm, 50mm, or so.

All three can be used to hand hold against a wall or a chair or something like that, just to avoid shaking. Since they are small, I simply keepallthree in my bag.

• Like 1

There's always a trade-off with tripods:

- price vs material: carbon more expensive than aluminium

- tube thickness vs rigidity vs weight: thicker tubes are more rigid, but heavier.

- tube sections vs packed length vs rigidity: for the same erected height, the more sections you have means it will pack shorter, but will be less rigid.

You see these trade-offs in all the manufacturers' ranges. You just need to decide where your priorities lie.

FWIW I have a Gitzo Traveller 0545T and a Markins Q3iT head: my priorities were low weight and low packed length. It is fine with the TL2, but I don't expect to use the latter on a tripod - I use it as a handheld camera. The tripod is for my M.

When I was looking for a tripod I compared the Gitzo with the (much cheaper) Sirui T-025x, which many people swear by and I was very impressed by. At the time you could not lower the centre column entirely, and, combined with rather a narrow spread of legs, this ruled it out for me on rigidity grounds. I have heard that the centre column on this or a related new model can now be lowered entirely - you'd have to check.

• Like 1

For me : Gitzo 1542t (very small, but tall too and light. Superb build) + ArcaSwiss ball head p0 (small, clever system, superb quality).

Be carrefoul with the ballhead not to take the new rapid system (patented and proprietary system) because it will be less compatible with accessories or base plates etc. In fact the p0 ball is offered in 3 variants.

Best

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I bought a Sirui xxxx for my SL that I was planning to take with me as a backuop to my Leica S007. I'm now selling my SL and will take a TL2 instead. My thinking is if I need to take a picture on a tripod then I will use my Soo7. If it can be shot hand held then I will use the Tl2. So I will take my Gitzo for the S and no tripod for the TL2..............does that make sence/?

Neil

I use my aluminium tripod of 1968? still. The weight is 2 kg.

You could think of one without center column.

A monopod on top of a tripod? Everybody would agree, that a monopod is less stable than a tripod. So the combination is ....

Jan

• Like 1

Strikes me as entirely pointless getting a small compact camera for it's portability and lightness and then carrying about a full size tripod ....... maybe ok for an occasional specific location/event - in which case anything cheap will do for a small camera like the TL. 

For years I've carried around one of these just in case ...... all you need is a handy wall, fence, ledge, rock, shelf, backpack ..... I've even perched one in a tree .....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Strikes me as entirely pointless getting a small compact camera for it's portability and lightness and then carrying about a full size tripod ....... maybe ok for an occasional specific location/event - in which case anything cheap will do for a small camera like the TL. 

Exactly.........TL2 is for hand held only......hell its good for ISO 5000, should never need any support :)

Neil

I bought a Sirui xxxx for my SL that I was planning to take with me as a backuop to my Leica S007. I'm now selling my SL and will take a TL2 instead. My thinking is if I need to take a picture on a tripod then I will use my Soo7. If it can be shot hand held then I will use the Tl2. So I will take my Gitzo for the S and no tripod for the TL2..............does that make sence/?

Neil

Yes

My thinking is if I need to take a picture on a tripod then I will use my Soo7. If it can be shot hand held then I will use the Tl2. So I will take my Gitzo for the S and no tripod for the TL2..............does that make sence/?

[emoji848]

Not for me. [emoji6]

I'll use the SL in both cases as I prefer its handling on a tripod or handheld.

I don't see the SL as a compromise or a middle ground between the S and the TL, but as the right tool for both situations.

Granted, I have accumulated 12 R lenses and Vario's long before the SL was released and I still don't have any SL lenses after almost 2 years. I am a R guy.

[emoji6][emoji6]

Neither of the S or the TL fits the bill for me.

I would not be surprised if both were upgraded with an EVF soon.

Edited by Leicaiste

For me : Gitzo 1542t (very small, but tall too and light. Superb build) + ArcaSwiss ball head p0 (small, clever system, superb quality).

I have the Gitzo 1542T + Arca-Swiss ball head P0 since 5 years.

I agree the P0 is an excellent ball head, but I disagree strongly about the 1542 T.

I have now the RRS TQC-14, and it is so much more steady than the Gitzo that it is choking. You need to have both to believe it.

I hope that its replacement in the Gitzo family is better.

• Like 1

The respective sizes.

I have a Manfrotto BeFree Carbon fibre Travel Tripod https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/befree-carbon-fibre-travel-tripod-with-ball-head-black

When I travel with Astrophotography in mind I have upgraded to a Manfrotto 486RC2 Compact Ball Head as this will take more weight but otherwise I use the tripod as is and it is light and very flexible and comes with it's own carry bag.

Edited by Jkulin
  • Like 1

I have the Gitzo 1542T + Arca-Swiss ball head P0 since 5 years.

I agree the P0 is an excellent ball head, but I disagree strongly about the 1542 T.

I have now the RRS TQC-14, and it is so much more steady than the Gitzo that it is choking. You need to have both to believe it.

I hope that its replacement in the Gitzo family is better.

I have the Gitzo 1542T and an RRS TVC-34 and found that hanging a few kilos on the former to further stabilise it gives you the same performance as the latter ...... and in less than gale force winds the Gitzo is perfectly adequate even for 5 minute exposures without it. I carry a small carabiner and just dangle my bag off it. In some respects the small feet on the Gitzo give a former give a better grounding on grass etc than the chunky RRS ones which allow some 'bounce'. Nice to have both, though  :)

Exactly.........TL2 is for hand held only......hell its good for ISO 5000, should never need any support :)

Neil

Hmmm. Focus stacking? I used a tripod to produce these. Each took five shots. I'm steady but ...

P.S. The Leica TL system is all that I have. I want to make the most of it.

• Like 6

I have the Gitzo 1542T and an RRS TVC-34 and found that hanging a few kilos on the former to further stabilise it gives you the same performance as the latter ...... and in less than gale force winds the Gitzo is perfectly adequate even for 5 minute exposures without it. I carry a small carabiner and just dangle my bag off it. In some respects the small feet on the Gitzo give a former give a better grounding on grass etc than the chunky RRS ones which allow some 'bounce'. Nice to have both, though :)

That's what spikes are for. [emoji6]

On slippery floors (wood, marble or polished concrete) the hard plastic feets of the Gitzo are part of the problem.

Edited by Leicaiste
  • Like 2