28mm Elmarit Asph. 11606 vs 11677

Stealth3kpl

According to Sean Reid, the new 28/2.8 asph would be sharper in the centre of the frame but in the corners, the old version would show better resolution on digital M cameras. I have no experience with the new version but my old copy works fine on my M240, M8.2 and Sony A7s mod cameras so i don't plan to upgrade for now.

• Like 2

According to Sean Reid, the new 28/2.8 asph would be sharper in the centre of the frame but in the corners, the old version would show better resolution on digital M cameras. I have no experience with the new version but my old copy works fine on my M240, M8.2 and Sony A7s mod cameras so i don't plan to upgrade for now.

If it were Leica, it's marketing speak for 'It's the same'. Since it's from Sean Reid, it probably means the orange in the middle would be a little sharper than the ones in the corner. It must be a big deal!

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 1

I'm having difficulty. Can you point me to some links?

Pete

Sure, here's a review of the new Summicron 28 f/2 ASPH by Jono Slack (I think.) There is no doubt about significantly improved performance over the prior version on the M240 and the SL. It is also better on the A7ii, but still not very good.

https://theleicameet.wordpress.com/2016/06/08/the-old-and-new-leica-28mm-summicron-asph/

Edited by robgo2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sure, here's a review of the new Summicron 28 f/2 ASPH by Jono Slack (I think.) There is no doubt about significantly improved performance over the prior version on the M240 and the SL. It is also better on the A7ii, but still not very good.

https://theleicameet.wordpress.com/2016/06/08/the-old-and-new-leica-28mm-summicron-asph/

This could easily be sample variation and is in no way whatsoever, not even remotely, scientific.

Sure, here's a review of the new Summicron 28 f/2 ASPH by Jono Slack (I think.) There is no doubt about significantly improved performance over the prior version on the M240 [...]

What is true for the Summicron is not so for the Elmarit. Pretty well the opposite, on M bodies at least, according to Sean Reid. Different beasts. BTW my current 28/2 has indeed sharper corners on both my M240 and Sony A7s mod but i don't see huge differences to be honest. The reason would be that i don't focus at infinity according to Jono.

Thanks. I'm interested in the new vs old Elmarit Asph. I have the 28mm Summicron Asph but would appreciate the compact nature and light weight of the 28mm Elmarit Asph on an imminent trip, and I have the option on the older 11606 lens. I'm wondering if it's worth the extra for the 11677.

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl

This could easily be sample variation and is in no way whatsoever, not even remotely, scientific.

Yes, that older 28 summicron asph looks awful. I'm sure people wouldn't rave about it if theirs imaged like that. I'm sure mine doesn't but maybe I've only used mine on film so haven't pixel-peeked with it.

Pete

Of course, it's not a scientific study, but Jono is no slacker (ouch!) I believe that he would not have published the review if he did not consider the images to be representative and the conclusions valid. But I have no experience with either lens and, thus have no opinion on the matter. My Summicron-M 28 ASPH is on order.

Thanks. I'm interested in the new vs old Elmarit Asph. I have the 28mm Summicron Asph but would appreciate the compact nature and light weight of the 28mm Elmarit Asph on an imminent trip, and I have the option on the older 11606 lens. I'm wondering if it's worth the extra for the 11677.

Pete

I can't comment on the relative performance of old vs new elmarits but if you are concerned with 'compactness' I think you would prefer the older model if you use a hood. I personally didn't get on with the older version as I found it too 'fiddly' with the hood mounted - my fingers always seemed to find the hood clips rather than the aperture ring due to the shorter barrel length (compared to my other lenses). When the new metal-hood version appeared this was less of an issue and I bought one as it was still significantly smaller than the plastic-hooded 28 cron and it is definitely a great performer, however, it is no longer 'compact' IMHO with the new hood.

I have recently picked up a mint new-version cron for a good price from a London dealer and the size/weight difference between the two new-model 28s now seems pretty minimal to me - certainly not the "Little + Large" disparity of the old ones. The upshot is that I will be letting go of the elmarit 11677 and just using the cron. I wonder whether you might look at selling the old model cron and getting the new version instead of either elmarit? 1 less lens choice and no regrets of the "wish I'd brought the cron" variety......

• Like 2

Pete

Had a chance to set the two new-version 28s next to each other - haven't posted any images before so I don't know if these will work (!)

With the hoods on there is only c.5mm difference in height and the hood caps are the same. Essentially the 28 cron has a 'squashed' hood that reduces the difference caused by the longer barrel. I always use a hood so for me there is essentially no benefit to the elmarit (aside from cost obviously).....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I wonder if the new Elmarit's construction is beefier in terms of not being able to loosen the front portion of the lens over time if one were to grip the lens by the hood when mounting and removing the lens?

Don Goldberg has tightened two 28 ASPH Elmarit's for me that were received with loose front ends as a result of prior miss-use.

I wonder if the new Elmarit's construction is beefier in terms of not being able to loosen the front portion of the lens over time if one were to grip the lens by the hood when mounting and removing the lens?

Don Goldberg has tightened two 28 ASPH Elmarit's for me that were received with loose front ends as a result of prior miss-use.

Not misuse. Happens just like that over time.

After an airplane trip, bam.

Unfortunately I am starting to believe that all Karbe's lenses are utter junk. What's up with the shiité construction?

Take a mandler lens, no loose, ever!

Edited by NB23

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting the dormant thread to see what the collective has to say. 

I've been looking for a 28 Elmarit and have found a factory-refurbished 2016-version (w/1 year warranty) for perhaps US$100-300 more than a used v.1 in good shape. I'd be shooting it on an M10 & M9M. What has been the experience here between the two versions? 

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

• Thanks 1

I've had both models of the 28/2.8 asph.  Got rid of the older one in favor of the newer.  The 11677 is sharp across the field when wide open. and the scene permits it.  The predecessor benefits from being stopped down to f/4 or f/5.6  But both are very nice.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I've had both models of the 28/2.8 asph.  Got rid of the older one in favor of the newer.  The 11677 is sharp across the field when wide open. and the scene permits it.  The predecessor benefits from being stopped down to f/4 or f/5.6  But both are very nice.

Scott, did you appreciate any additional corner softness on the newer lens that some report with M bodies?