To EVF or not whyen using the TL2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Guys

I'm new to this kind of camera, I've always had a viewfinder and like the idea of having a viewfinder. I do recall when I had my Leica Q that I sometimes held it up in the air or out in front of me to take a picture, I've also shot my Leica S using live view so I not a complete virgin :) 

I would be interested in knowing what everyone else uses when they are out shooting street kind of photography with there Leica T's............do you hold it out in front of you or do you use an IVF?

I don't know but I would have though it would be a PITA to take the EVF on and off especially if you are carrying the camera in a pocket ?

Neil

Hi Neil,

A bit of both for me. I'm quite happy to use the screen when out and about taking tourist shots in a city with a wide lens but I strongly prefer to use the EVF with longer lenses. 

The EVF is almost essential. I wouldn't enjoy my T half as much without it but I could still get decent results.

Regarding the pocketability, I don't own any coat or jacket that could accommodate a T with a lens on. 

The T(L2) is only pocketable if you use one of the compact M lenses ..... such as the Summicron 40/2 or the older 35/2's, 28/2.8's. etc. 

Sticking it anywhere with the EVF on is problematic ....... but it only takes seconds to attach/remove - unless you are obsessive and insist on putting the cover plates on EVF and hotshoe and storing the EVF in its case .... :rolleyes:

I tend to be the latter so it goes on the camera when I go out and comes off when I come back home. Otherwise it's a PITA. It does make taking good photos a great deal easier though. 

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

The T(L2) is only pocketable if you use one of the compact M lenses ..... such as the Summicron 40/2 or the older 35/2's, 28/2.8's. etc. 

Sticking it anywhere with the EVF on is problematic ....... but it only takes seconds to attach/remove - unless you are obsessive and insist on putting the cover plates on EVF and hotshoe and storing the EVF in its case .... :rolleyes:

I tend to be the latter so it goes on the camera when I go out and comes off when I come back home. Otherwise it's a PITA. It does make taking good photos a great deal easier though. 

Gordon

I will get one with it and probably like you put it on when I go out for a walk about.

Neil

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think using a T without the EVF is ok only with the 23mm summicron because the package is then rather compact.

Of course you can use the T without EVF with other lenses too but for me it is clunky.

Nonetheless...I wish the TL EVF was much better than it actually is. Coming from the SL the T/M10 EVF is frankly a pain but I advize it to any T user though.

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I have a

for me I have a small bag for 2 lenses and big enough to leave viewfinder on the camera. too difficult for my taste to put this thing on and off.

only few times when I need really compact I would just leave the EVF at home. But it is not a pocket camera anyways.

small billgam bag that I use for my SL and 4 lenses. I will use that same bag for the TL2

As someone that is soooo used to having a built in EVF, I must say I have looked silly on numerous occasions when I've forgotten the T doesnt have a EVF and bought the camera up to my eye!

It really is a built in shooting habit looking through a viewfinder.

I do like being able to compose a shot with a the LCD, means you can be discreet and shoot your subject without their knowledge :)