Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree - with the M I either have to chimp and reshoot all the time for closer subjects, or I have to shoot wider and crop.

I think I already make some sort of automatic correction when shooting in landscape mode, but the moment I switch to portrait, my framing is screwed up.

With the TL and SL I crop much less often.

• Like 1

... or your 50mm frame line is not accurate enough which could explain that you need cropping... Do you have the same feeling when you shoot an SLR or a mirrorless camera?

Yes. I first developed this idea shooting Hasselblads. Instead of the normal 80mm lens I have a 100mm lens on that camera. In fact now I have extended that to the 110mm f2 lens. For many years I never owned a 'standard' lens. My intro to Leica, about 20 years ago, saw the first standard lens into my lineup. I now have three 50 mm lenses. :D That is mainly because of the way they draw.

• Like 2

Yes. I first developed this idea shooting Hasselblads. Instead of the normal 80mm lens I have a 100mm lens on that camera. In fact now I have extended that to the 110mm f2 lens. For many years I never owned a 'standard' lens. My intro to Leica, about 20 years ago, saw the first standard lens into my lineup. I now have three 50 mm lenses. :D That is mainly because of the way they draw.

+1

Remember when you got a standard 55mm lens with your new SLR?  Mine rarely made it out of the box.  I would either take wide(ish) or long(ish).  I think that's one of the reasons I have never gelled with the 35mm field of view.  Leica got me into 50s

• Like 2

To this day, my Hasselblad kit has always been, 40, 60, 100, 150, 250, 70-180 zoom. The 110 is a more 'recent' addition (about 20years ago :p )

Leica brought me to 50 mm with Cron, Lux and Noct. all of which serve me differently. Strangely, I most frequently carry the 50 Lux and the 75 Cron for walk around, but not always.

My new discovery is the Voigtlander 15mm Ver 111. What a stunner! My last travel experience (Spain, Portugal and Morocco) saw me shoot approx 3000 pics, 90% with the 15mm. A truly revealing lens experience. Largely because I see those destinations as 'confined' or very expansive, visually

Sorry about the O.T. content. I just had to share it.

• Like 3

"My new discovery is the Voigtlander 15mm Ver 111. What a stunner! My last travel experience (Spain, Portugal and Morocco) saw me shoot approx 3000 pics, 90% with the 15mm. A truly revealing lens experience. Largely because I see those destinations as 'confined' or very expansive, visually"

On my last trip to Europe, just took the Voigtlander 15 III and the Summilux 50. It was fantastic.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry for the delay...here are a couple of pics from the comparison photos I took with the Lux and Cron.

The questions I was originally asking (albeit not succinctly) was:

1) whether the aperture blades of the 75 Summarit (2.4) were jagged (which this thread indicates that they are not), and

2) if this "feature" of the 75 cron or lux (i.e. jagged or non-convex polygon shapes) was ever an issue in practical use (which I'm not hearing any complaints about).

I greatly appreciate the background and advice on FOV in this thread, I recently purchased a 150mm for a Mamiya 7 but haven't got around to developing the rolls of film yet...I'm looking forward to using that FOV as well as deciding on a 75mm lens for 35mm.

These manikin shots were with the 75 Lux and Cron.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And since the motivation for picking a 75mm lens was originally about portraits, here are some daytime shots with the 75 Lux (wide open and stopped down a touch).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!