35 Summilux-TL on the TL2?

Terrific IQ, beautiful colors.

It will hunt at times in low light on the T, but it is much better than the 60mm TL in this regard. I have not acquired a TL2, but have used it on the SL.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

35 TL

• Like 3

35 TL

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Considering acquiring this lens (the only other TL lens I have is the 11-23 zoom).

Can anyone who has this lens share their thoughts?

John

I'm going to get that lens as a first with my new TL2.........I'm trying to make a deal with a shop in HK right now so that it will be waiting for me when I get home :)

I'm going Silver body, black lens and black IVF with an Arte Di Mano Rally Burgundy half case............sweet :) :) :)

Neil

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Considering acquiring this lens (the only other TL lens I have is the 11-23 zoom).

Can anyone who has this lens share their thoughts?

I love this lens. I recently went on a Nature workshop on the Outer Cape Cod. One day I only used this lens as an experiment.

Here are a few shots taken from a motorboat.

f903e2b6b8f12392f4a8276bb6485fe6.jpg

1cc230ace8a47a69d47968b5188e6a43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by WinnowingFan
  • Like 3

I took this shot with a T, hand held with light coming in from the window, and you can see there’s tons of detail. I’d love to see someone compare this lens to a 35mm Summilux-M mounted on a T!

• Like 4

Not exactly your request but here's one with T + Zeiss 50 planar (top) and one with the T + Noctilux 0.95

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 2

Neil, I have the T, not the TL 2. The T is a real piece of art, solidly built, and a pleasure to pick up and hold comparatively to the SL.

The image quality from the T is really superb.  The noctilux works beautifully (but on the T you'd probably want a ND filter for really sunny, bright days). ISO range has been improved on the TL2 so this might be cured, but it too is a limitation on the T. (So you may end up with more misses).

The biggest limitation of the T compared to SL is the viewfinder. One gets spoiled after using the SL or Q's, and the evf on the T is necessary for outdoor shooting.

I love the 35 1.4 TL lens. Just terrific. AF is not quite the same as say the 24-90 on the SL, but I can live with it.  I like the 60 TL as well but the AF is more problematic. No toggle switch to focus is a bit of an impediment, but again, for me - very much an amateur - I can live with. AF on the 60mm definitely hunts a surprising amount but I enjoy having AF on it,  and one can pretty much hand hold the T (one hand) and do just fine. The Zeiss planar 50mm was just a joy to use, so easy on the T. Image quality from all of the lenses I had mentioned are wonderful. Terrific IQ and beautiful colors.

If you are still on the fence, pick up a pre-owned T ($600 USD) and give it a try. You'll get the idea whether it is for you, essentially risk free. (The touch screen takes a bit of getting used to, but you will).Everyone who's used the TL is very happy so it would seem that the better AF, greater iso range, less/lack of shutter lag are really worthy improvements.  

In sum, the T is really capable of superb images, is really nicely small enough, and wonderfully built. It does not have the feature set of the SL but it is just so fun and easy to pick up and use (and is always a topic of conversation). (I'll try to post some snaps with my 35 1.4 FLE later). 

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Cheers Rob...........Im getting it next week :)

Neil

Neil, I have the T, not the TL 2. The T is a real piece of art, solidly built, and a pleasure to pick up and hold comparatively to the SL.

The image quality from the T is really superb.  The noctilux works beautifully (but on the T you'd probably want a ND filter for really sunny, bright days). ISO range has been improved on the TL2 so this might be cured, but it too is a limitation on the T. (So you may end up with more misses).

The biggest limitation of the T compared to SL is the viewfinder. One gets spoiled after using the SL or Q's, and the evf on the T is necessary for outdoor shooting.

I love the 35 1.4 TL lens. Just terrific. AF is not quite the same as say the 24-90 on the SL, but I can live with it.  I like the 60 TL as well but the AF is more problematic. No toggle switch to focus is a bit of an impediment, but again, for me - very much an amateur - I can live with. AF on the 60mm definitely hunts a surprising amount but I enjoy having AF on it,  and one can pretty much hand hold the T (one hand) and do just fine. The Zeiss planar 50mm was just a joy to use, so easy on the T. Image quality from all of the lenses I had mentioned are wonderful. Terrific IQ and beautiful colors.

If you are still on the fence, pick up a pre-owned T ($600 USD) and give it a try. You'll get the idea whether it is for you, essentially risk free. (The touch screen takes a bit of getting used to, but you will).Everyone who's used the TL is very happy so it would seem that the better AF, greater iso range, less/lack of shutter lag are really worthy improvements.  

In sum, the T is really capable of superb images, is really nicely small enough, and wonderfully built. It does not have the feature set of the SL but it is just so fun and easy to pick up and use (and is always a topic of conversation). (I'll try to post some snaps with my 35 1.4 FLE later). 

Rob

Congratulations!  I'm looking forward to seeing some of your magic.

I'll take a few more with the Noctilux and post as soon as my battery charges up. In the meantime, here are some below with R 80 1.4 

Did you get the 35 1.4 TL?  I really think you'll enjoy it.

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 3

T + R 80 1.4

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Nice Rob but in the wrong thread..............Maybe start a thread with "TL plus none TL lenses", I 'm waiting on this thread for 35mm Summerlux lens pictures :) :)

T + R 80 1.4

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Very Nice detail Michael............with or without IVF??

I took this shot with a T, hand held with light coming in from the window, and you can see there’s tons of detail. I’d love to see someone compare this lens to a 35mm Summilux-M mounted on a T!

attachicon.gifPurrrcy.jpg

attachicon.gifPurrrcy.jpg

Not great examples, but here's the T + 35 1.4 FLE

35 1.4 FLE