First Leica R - which one

jmahto

• 1 month later...

My first Leica R was a Leicaflex SL.  I wound up loving it deeply and I loved the 50mm 'cron that it came with.  Unlike most people, who go to newer cameras (or at least better old ones), I wound up going to a L-Flex Standard Mk2.  I love that one because it's without regard for anything but getting the shot.  It seems that even "creature comforts" such as the meter were put on as afterthoughts (whereas the SL and SL2 have Through-the-lens metering), so it forces you to judge "trust the meter, or trust me?" with every shot.  I wouldn't trade it for the world though.

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why a Leica SLR? A nice Pentax Spotmatic or K1000 would be considerably cheaper and do the job. I like M2 and an M3 rangefinder cameras but use a Nikon F when I need an SLR. The Nikon is a great all-mechanical, manual camera and, like the Leica Ms, has made a significant contribution to photography

Why a Leica SLR? A nice Pentax Spotmatic or K1000 would be considerably cheaper and do the job. I like M2 and an M3 rangefinder cameras but use a Nikon F when I need an SLR. The Nikon is a great all-mechanical, manual camera and, like the Leica Ms, has made a significant contribution to photography

The OP says he bought a Nikon.

I would recommend a Leicaflex SL.  Spare part availability is still good.  Incredibly effective damping system which allows shooting at slower shutter speeds.  Much better then any Nikon or R camera.  This alone is a reason to have the camera.  Quiet for a mechanical SLR with a high viewfinder magnification (90%; important for manual focus).   A two tone micro prism focusing screen where the image just pops into focus in a very dramatic way.  Fantastic eye relief for those who wear glasses.  Build quality reminiscent of an M3/M2.  Suprisingly ergonomic in the hand.

The cameras from the late 70's and onward, obviously, have better meters, but many of us film shooters don't rely on the meters anyway.  A Nikon will likely go longer between services, and the repairs are less expensive, although I don't think spare parts are available other then from other cameras.  The R cameras (except R8/9) are very similar to Minoltas, Nikons ect., and most likely will be lighter (except an F3).  Anyway, all good cameras.

Edited by TheBestSLIsALeicaflex
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I too want to join the leica SLR club. Considering an R6.2 with 35 or 50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 6 or 6.2 is a good choice, especially if you are used to using an M6 or later metered M, as the meter readout is the same. The Leicaflex SL2 has a more solid, precise feel, but is larger and won't work with lenses having only the 3rd cam (R specific lenses).

For a 50 mm I prefer the Summicron to the type 1 Summilux, but haven't tried the last Summilux-R that has the 60mm filter thread. It is a more modern design.

• Like 1

The 6 or 6.2 is a good choice, especially if you are used to using an M6 or later metered M, as the meter readout is the same. The Leicaflex SL2 has a more solid, precise feel, but is larger and won't work with lenses having only the 3rd cam (R specific lenses).

For a 50 mm I prefer the Summicron to the type 1 Summilux, but haven't tried the last Summilux-R that has the 60mm filter thread. It is a more modern design.

Thanks. Just today I purchased a chrome R6.2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fell in love with a Leicaflex SL way way back in 1970 but could never afford one ... Finally got one when I was buying up Leica R lenses in 2013, when the market was so low on them. After that I bought another Leicaflex SL and then an R8. Wonderful cameras. 

Two years after I got the Leica SL, however, I realized I didn't need all these film cameras—one would suffice. So I sold off all the Leica reflex bodies except the original black Leicaflex SL. Even if the meter doesn't last much longer, I just love the feel of it: It's built like a tank, much like the Leica SL. I've kept a small lens kit that works well on it. In fact, I pulled it out just yesterday to experiment with one of my rolls of fresh Ferrania P30. :D

It's the Leica reflex for me, for sure. 

• 2 months later...

After having sold my Canon A-1 and Olympus OM-2 SLR systems quite a few years ago I stuck to analogue Leica M camera's. Since I like macro curiosity made me buy a very affordable Macro-Elmarit-R 2.8/60mm, for which I needed a camera of course. I decided on a R4, also for a nice price and after one film I am quite happy with it. After some ten years without SLR it took a bit to get used to it, but it works very smoothly. The metering systems are very nice, especially for the purpose for which I bought the camera.

Lex

• 7 months later...

Let me jump in with a couple of thoughts. In the distant past I used Nikon F and FE s. Along with the lenses, great. Somewhere along the line I fell into Leica. The M system first. Very impressed with that system. Somehow I blundered into the R system. I liked it and found it was compatible with my M's. I now have and owned for a number of years an R 6.2 and R 7. Both are equipped with winders and for the privilege of not having to wind film, the wight of the winders, plus batteries is considerable. Which is better, I don't know. Interesting fact that the 6.2 uses just one 1/3n battery verses 2 for the R 7. More electronics.  

On 9/1/2017 at 1:59 PM, jmahto said:

I have been digital Leica M user for past 5 years. Recently my son expressed interest in film photography. I wanted to get him a robust/manual film camera (he has some exposure to my old Konica AR). I have two questions:

- As a first manual camera is Leica R ok? I guess answer is yes but then what does it competes with?

- Which Leica R? Of course, I want it to be reasonable in cost.

- I will get an starter 35mm or 50mm lens. Which one? I already have 180APO3.4

My other ulterior motive is that I can share the R lens on M. :)

Edit: He is familiar with manual exposure therefore light meter is a plus but no automation needed. He shot this when I gave him a Konica, almost expired BW film and sunny 16 rule. :) https://flic.kr/p/opCYp3

I have had Leicaflex SL, Leica R8, and now Leica R6.2. All three lovely cameras, and the lenses are outstanding (all of mine are three-cam models, with two exceptions). I sold the R8 before I bought the R6.2 ... I prefer the mechanical SLR. The Leicaflex SL cannot be used with the Elmarit-R 24mm or Super-Elmer-R 15mm lenses, and can only be used with the first version Elmarit-R 19mm lens. All of my R lenses have provided lens profiles on the M-P240, and CL (and SL, when I had that) and provide very high quality results when used on those bodies. 

That said, if I were helping a beginner get started with film photography, and they wanted an SLR, I'd buy a Nikon FM2n without any question. They're much more available, robust as tanks, have simple manual controls and TTL match-diode metering, and excellent quality Nikon Nikkor AI series lenses are plentiful and cheap. Those same Nikkor lenses work very nicely on my M-P, SL, and CL bodies as well, with a Novoflex or RayQual mount adapter. And even if Nikon isn't servicing the FM2n anymore (I don't know...), there are dozens of shops that service them well at very good prices. 

Although Leica R lenses are superior and the death of the R system has dropped prices on R bodies and lenses quite a lot, they're still more expensive and harder to find than the Nikon gear is. And I really don't think the differences in imaging quality and nuance are really all that important to someone looking for a starter film outfit. :)

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ramarren said:

I have had Leicaflex SL, Leica R8, and now Leica R6.2. All three lovely cameras, and the lenses are outstanding (all of mine are three-cam models, with two exceptions). I sold the R8 before I bought the R6.2 ... I prefer the mechanical SLR. The Leicaflex SL cannot be used with the Elmarit-R 24mm or Super-Elmer-R 15mm lenses, and can only be used with the first version Elmarit-R 19mm lens. All of my R lenses have provided lens profiles on the M-P240, and CL (and SL, when I had that) and provide very high quality results when used on those bodies. 

That said, if I were helping a beginner get started with film photography, and they wanted an SLR, I'd buy a Nikon FM2n without any question. They're much more available, robust as tanks, have simple manual controls and TTL match-diode metering, and excellent quality Nikon Nikkor AI series lenses are plentiful and cheap. Those same Nikkor lenses work very nicely on my M-P, SL, and CL bodies as well, with a Novoflex or RayQual mount adapter. And even if Nikon isn't servicing the FM2n anymore (I don't know...), there are dozens of shops that service them well at very good prices. 

Although Leica R lenses are superior and the death of the R system has dropped prices on R bodies and lenses quite a lot, they're still more expensive and harder to find than the Nikon gear is. And I really don't think the differences in imaging quality and nuance are really all that important to someone looking for a starter film outfit. :)

Thanks. I went with Nikon FM2 (not FM2n since that is what I found that time for good price). It has been put to good use. It is surprising that it is equally light (with 50mm f2 AI lens) compared to my Leica M2 with 40summicron!

The only thing I don’t like is the sound of mirror slap. Maybe damping seals are worn out. Maybe one day. For now it works beautifully. 

Edited by jmahto

1 hour ago, jmahto said:

Thanks. I went with Nikon FM2 (not FM2n since that is what I found that time for good price). It has been put to good use. It is surprising that it is equally light (with 50mm f2 AI lens) compared to my Leica M2 with 40summicron!

The only thing I don’t like is the sound of mirror slap. Maybe damping seals are worn out. Maybe one day. For now it works beautifully. 

Good choice. Yeah, the FM/FM2/FM2n are a bit on the clattery side, even with good seals and such, but eh? This is a minor issues. I used an FM and an FM2n body for 21 and 17 years respectively. The only trouble I ever had with either was when I dropped the FM body and dented the pentaprism cover ... it shorted out the flash sync terminal. Eight years later, I had Nikon replace the cover and it worked like new again. 

I love my R system bodies and lenses, but there's nothing bad I can say about these ancient Nikons. My last Nikon gear is a classic 1962ish plain prism F that I keep around for nostalgia's sake, along with my old favorite Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 from the late '60s. I had the F body overhauled when I it was given to me .. for all of $170 ... and both continue to work as if new. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramarren said:

Good choice. Yeah, the FM/FM2/FM2n are a bit on the clattery side, even with good seals and such, but eh? This is a minor issues. I used an FM and an FM2n body for 21 and 17 years respectively. The only trouble I ever had with either was when I dropped the FM body and dented the pentaprism cover ... it shorted out the flash sync terminal. Eight years later, I had Nikon replace the cover and it worked like new again. 

I love my R system bodies and lenses, but there's nothing bad I can say about these ancient Nikons. My last Nikon gear is a classic 1962ish plain prism F that I keep around for nostalgia's sake, along with my old favorite Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 from the late '60s. I had the F body overhauled when I it was given to me .. for all of $170 ... and both continue to work as if new. 

Can I ask why you like 55/3.5? Not knowing much about Nikkor lenses, I got 50mm F2 AI as general purpose lens. So far I am ok with its performance (haven’t tested on digital yet) but I would like to have one “keeper” Nikkor prime.