First Leica R - which one

jmahto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been digital Leica M user for past 5 years. Recently my son expressed interest in film photography. I wanted to get him a robust/manual film camera (he has some exposure to my old Konica AR). I have two questions:

- As a first manual camera is Leica R ok? I guess answer is yes but then what does it competes with?

- Which Leica R? Of course, I want it to be reasonable in cost.

- I will get an starter 35mm or 50mm lens. Which one? I already have 180APO3.4

My other ulterior motive is that I can share the R lens on M. :)

Edit: He is familiar with manual exposure therefore light meter is a plus but no automation needed. He shot this when I gave him a Konica, almost expired BW film and sunny 16 rule. :) https://flic.kr/p/opCYp3

Edited by jmahto

The older Leicaflex are fully manual/mechanical but some later lenses cannot be used with them. The light meter would need adjustment for modern batteries but if you're not worried about a meter then it doesn't matter. 

The R3 and all other R models after that need 3 cam lenses or 'R' only lenses. Apart from the R6/6.2 they all have auto metering as well as manual and some are multi mode. The last of the line was the R9. The cheapest model to buy now is generally the R4. 

The problem with most models is that should they develop a fault it is almost certainly not going to be cost effective to repair. Also R lenses aren't cheap and prices increased with the introduction of the M models with EVF's and the SL as it made them suddenly useable again for digital users. 

Whilst I use an R3 (which I think is better than most of the later R's) I am not sure I'd recommend buying into this system for a new user. Assuming you want a manual focus system I'd suggest a Nikon FM or F2, or Pentax MX, or Olympus OM1. All fully mechanical and all with a vast array of s/h lenses available for relatively little money. 

• Like 2

I agree with the points James makes; you need to go into R ownership with eyes fully open. However, if you do buy-in you'll find any of them delightful to use. I have an SL2 (owned from new) and an R6.2 and use both. Although the R6.2 is very capable, I find I prefer the simplicity and handling of the SL2 – it's a wonderful camera. 

• Like 1

I love R cameras and had every model from R3 Mot to R6.2. The earlier R  models are prone to metering issues so be careful with those.

There is a fair degree of electronics in the models from R3 to R5 so if they do break down, it may be a hassle and costly to get them fixed. On the other hand if you can get one cheap then use it to death and buy another one. Throwing one away every couple of years probably equate to less than the annual depreciation of a new M camera

If I'd remember correctly the R6 and R6.2 are fully mechanical and only use the battery for the light meter and the self timer. So if the battery runs out or if the light meter dies, it still works.The size of these R cameras were perfect. 

I personally cannot stand the R8 and R9 due to their size. So I cannot comment on how they performed.

So all the best in your choice of camera for your son.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As Leica user M&R for decades, I'd choose another system for SLR if from scratch.

Begin with Leicaflex SL that was very nice and reliable, then R3/R4/R5 those electronic R had low reliability and need services frequently.

At the end was our 2 x R6 along with Ms that proves themselves with tens of thousands beautiful slides.

I'd not recommend R6 because of the "non-repairability" and if need CLA, it's very expensive.

Plenty of other systems are better choice ;) .

• 2 weeks later...

The older Leicaflex are fully manual/mechanical but some later lenses cannot be used with them. The light meter would need adjustment for modern batteries but if you're not worried about a meter then it doesn't matter.

The R3 and all other R models after that need 3 cam lenses or 'R' only lenses. Apart from the R6/6.2 they all have auto metering as well as manual and some are multi mode. The last of the line was the R9. The cheapest model to buy now is generally the R4.

The problem with most models is that should they develop a fault it is almost certainly not going to be cost effective to repair. Also R lenses aren't cheap and prices increased with the introduction of the M models with EVF's and the SL as it made them suddenly useable again for digital users.

Whilst I use an R3 (which I think is better than most of the later R's) I am not sure I'd recommend buying into this system for a new user. Assuming you want a manual focus system I'd suggest a Nikon FM or F2, or Pentax MX, or Olympus OM1. All fully mechanical and all with a vast array of s/h lenses available for relatively little money.

I finally went with FM2. Found a clean one. The meter is super accurate too. I was surprised that it is lighter than M240.

• Like 3

I finally went with FM2. Found a clean one. The meter is super accurate too. I was surprised that it is lighter than M240.

Well chosen.

He has a wider choice of excellent lenses and the weight makes the FM series much more "carryable" than many of the alternatives.

Well chosen.

He has a wider choice of excellent lenses and the weight makes the FM series much more "carryable" than many of the alternatives.

I like it so far. However, it made me appreciate M240's shutter even more in comparison. I compared the shooting experience of FM2 vs M240+EVF using the same lens and I liked M240 by a small margin (even with EVF lag).

Low cost Leica R is a noble thought, but for any early R model consider the sooner or later need for a good CLA. I suggest that you forget the "Leica camera-low cost" combo. If automation (R7 and later) is not a priority, R6.2 or the less expensive R6 are your go. What you will get is robustness and reliability, plus a wealth of second-hand R lenses!

Shot through Salgado's R6: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/05/middleeast/cnnphotos-kuwait-oil-fires/index.html

Paul

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The R9 is an easy recommendation for ergonomics and sophistication of functionality. It is to me the best manual focus 35mm SLR ever made alongside the Contax RTS III. But it is becoming less and less repairable. I spoke with Wetzlar recently they said for now part supplies still exist but not sure for how much longer.

The R8 is also great but earlier units had issues so there is more risk.

The R6.2 is the next best recommendation. Shoots like an M6 — robust, simple and minimalist. I shoot these two cameras alongside each other for years. Probably more repairable than the R9.

The R7 is also great and much cheaper than the R8/9. Cheap enough that if it dies it dies

• 2 weeks later...

I love R cameras and had every model from R3 Mot to R6.2. The earlier R  models are prone to metering issues so be careful with those.

There is a fair degree of electronics in the models from R3 to R5 so if they do break down, it may be a hassle and costly to get them fixed. On the other hand if you can get one cheap then use it to death and buy another one. Throwing one away every couple of years probably equate to less than the annual depreciation of a new M camera

If I'd remember correctly the R6 and R6.2 are fully mechanical and only use the battery for the light meter and the self timer. So if the battery runs out or if the light meter dies, it still works.The size of these R cameras were perfect. 

I personally cannot stand the R8 and R9 due to their size. So I cannot comment on how they performed.

So all the best in your choice of camera for your son.

Recently picked up an R6.2, great size and feel and yes purely mechanical except for the meter. No programs, etc .... NICE!

• Like 1