Why didnt someone tell me about the Leica T

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been on this forum for over 5 years and this is the first I've heard about the Leica T..............OMFG those pictures in the T section are amazing. Is the T a full frame or a cosmopolitan, can you look through a EVF or is it all shooting from the hip. I'am assuming this camera is small enough to be a nice street photography camera and un observation.

If Someone (Me) is looking at buying one of these T cameras. WHY should I buy one. and if I buy one what lenses should I get (assuming its a changeable lens camera??

Any tips advice will be much appreciated

Neil

PS if your looking for me I will have my head berried in the T photo section...............amazing

• Like 1

Hi Neil, first thing to say is welcome to the party. All T lenses are very good performers.

The TL2 is the latest model,just came out. Most of the pictures you will be looking at are from the "old" T. It won't give you the same performance as your recent cams, SL S MF etc. But it's pretty good as you seeing. And more economical for the retired person. ☺ . Tony.

WHY buy it Neil ? ........ because it's there ......  :p

The original T was a bit sluggish but the current TL2 with 24mpx is zippy and has remedied most of the main faults of the original.

A handy back-up to the SL .... and you can use your M lenses on it just like the SL. The add-on EVF is fine but not a patch on the SL.

Minor annoyances are the high default shutter speeds on auto and the fact you can't zoom in on review using the EVF (*) .... otherwise it's easy to use and produces great images. All the TL lenses are on par with SL and M quality.

(*) I assume I'm not doing something wrong ..... :huh:

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

WHY buy it Neil ? ........ because it's there ......  :p

The original T was a bit sluggish but the current TL2 with 24mpx is zippy and has remedied most of the main faults of the original.

A handy back-up to the SL .... and you can use your M lenses on it just like the SL. The add-on EVF is fine but not a patch on the SL.

Minor annoyances are the high default shutter speeds on auto and the fact you can't zoom in on review using the EVF (*) .... otherwise it's easy to use and produces great images. All the TL lenses are on par with SL and M quality.

(*) I assume I'm not doing something wrong ..... :huh:

Gordon

I think that I have sold my SL.............That's why I'm looking for something else. I want something small with fast AF as a walk about camera to accompany my Soo7. Not sure if I would bother with an IVF as long as the rear screen is okay in bright light...........I live in Thailand/Malaysia

Neil

M fav lens is the 35/1.4, but they are all very good. the 11-23, the 55-135 are very good performers.

the 18-56 is nice and small and good as well. the display I find to be one of the best of all cameras.

The TL2 is fast but not as fast and reliable focusing like a SL.

Or the 23/2.0 which is the most compact lens available. Or put a 28mm M-Summaron on it ;)

Hi, Neil,

I've been using the TL since it came out. Great camera. But I only use it with the EVF. As an experiment I took the camera out for the day without the EVF - it is a much neater body without it. It was a sunny day and as far as I'm concerned the camera was next to unusable.

I realise that this is a very personal matter and I don't like holding a camera at arm's length anyway, especially as I wear varifocal glasses. But I found it impossible to ascertain focus in bright sunlight. Even composition was often difficult.

I held off from getting the original T because of lack of built in viewfinder, but was finally convinced by the EVF and the need to use longer focal length lenses without the weight and expense of the SL. The EVF now is permanently attached and I'm happy.

Good luck with your decision.

Tim

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To answer your questions:

- it is an interchangeable lens camera, although with a limited range of lenses (but they cover most focal lengths of interest, and it takes all SL lenses, and M and S lenses with an adapter).

- it is APSC format, not full frame i.e. crop sensor. A 50mm lens looks like a 75mm on the TL2. I have the 23mm and 60mm, which behave like a full frame 35mm and 90mm.

- if you are used to SL autofocus speeds, you will be disappointed with the TL2, but it is good enough for my purposes.

- you can shoot from arms length like a smartphone, or you can add an external EVF. I like the arms length approach for wide angle, and the EVF for long focal lengths. Using it at arms length you fade into the background just like any tourist with a point and shoot. Nobody takes you seriously.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

To answer your questions:

- it is an interchangeable lens camera, although with a limited range of lenses (but they cover most focal lengths of interest, and it takes all SL lenses, and M and S lenses with an adapter).

- it is APSC format, not full frame i.e. crop sensor. A 50mm lens looks like a 75mm on the TL2. I have the 23mm and 60mm, which behave like a full frame 35mm and 90mm.

- if you are used to SL autofocus speeds, you will be disappointed with the TL2, but it is good enough for my purposes.

- you can shoot from arms length like a smartphone, or you can add an external EVF. I like the arms length approach for wide angle, and the EVF for long focal lengths. Using it at arms length you fade into the background just like any tourist with a point and shoot. Nobody takes you seriously.

Paul the pictures look amazing in the T photo section. I've never tried the SL lenses on my SL only my S lenses and they AF slow. I will pop into the Leica store in KL and see if they have one. My gut feeling is if they have it with a zoom say 24/70 range and even 70/200 then that might interest me as a travel companion.

Neil

I'm surprised you sold your SL, Neil. I thought you really liked the SL-Noctilux combo.

For me, cameras are lens holders. Sure, I get a kick out of using my silver-chrome Monochrom with its lovely new leather covering, but it is ultimately just a holder for the sensor.

The TL2 shares the L mount from the SL, it has a 24MP 1.5x crop APS-C sensor and the same Maestro II processor as the SL. So, what you get is a nice selection of crop TL lenses, the ability to use SL lenses and all your M lenses (with adapter). There's no reason to think the TL2 will have an image quality any less than your SL, or the M10, all other things being equal.

But the ergonomics are quite different, and the user interface unique. Have a look at Jono and Thorsten's reviews - they're both very good.

I use mine with the 28-Summaron-M and no EVF for walk about - it's compact, pocketable and has an effective field of view of 42mm. Otherwise, I use the 11-23mm zoom (17-35mm equivalent). I'm just tossing up getting the 35 Summilux-TL (52mm equivalent) so I have a fast AF lens for it.

The combination of SL, TL2 and Monochrom, with fast primes and AF zooms is ideal for my purposes.

PS - with the 28 Summaron mounted, the TL2 fits into the back pocket of my cycling jersey.

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

Neil, they should have the 18-56 (the same as 27-84 at full frame), and 55-135 (82-202) zooms. I don't have either.

One plus is that the whole system is lighter: the body is much lighter than the M, and the lenses are even lighter proportionately than M lenses. I suspect there's some plastic in the mounts or even (horror of horrors) plastic elements in the lenses - I can't see how they make them so light otherwise.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Paul the pictures look amazing in the T photo section. I've never tried the SL lenses on my SL only my S lenses and they AF slow. I will pop into the Leica store in KL and see if they have one. My gut feeling is if they have it with a zoom say 24/70 range and even 70/200 then that might interest me as a travel companion.

Neil

I think you will find the whole package tiny in comparison to the S & SL ....... even with the trio of zooms 11-23 (superb), 18-56 (great) and 55-135 (great, but not used a lot) and an EVF you can fit the lot in a very small bag and it weighs very little. 

Image quality is remarkably good. The big IF is whether the Touchscreen interface and lack of buttons suits you or not....... 

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I think you will find the whole package tiny in comparison to the S & SL ....... even with the trio of zooms 11-23 (superb), 18-56 (great) and 55-135 (great, but not used a lot) and an EVF you can fit the lot in a very small bag and it weighs very little. 

Image quality is remarkably good. The big IF is whether the Touchscreen interface and lack of buttons suits you or not....... 

Gordon

You mention that the 11-23 is superb but the 18-56 is only great..................initially I was thinking that the 18-56 would be a good range for street kind of photography..............I sold my Q because I didn't like the 28mm

So why is one superb over great...............is it IQ or just your preference for a wider FOV.

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

After some more research............I'm now leaning towards the TL2 (Black) with the 35mm Sumerlux ..............I love the 50mm FOV and also like to shoot at night while sitting in a pub or at Starbucks. If I want any other FOV I can use my M lenses with an adapter that I already have. I guess my Noctilux would be an equivalent  75mm is that correct?? 

Neil

• Like 1

After some more research............I'm now leaning towards the TL2 (Black) with the 35mm Sumerlux ..............I love the 50mm FOV and also like to shoot at night while sitting in a pub or at Starbucks. If I want any other FOV I can use my M lenses with an adapter that I already have. I guess my Noctilux would be an equivalent 75mm is that correct??

Neil

Yes that would be 75mm equiv. 6e0e40be602d9d395e93dc48665a2c02.jpg

TL35 w/ TL2 is a really really good combination.

After some more research............I'm now leaning towards the TL2 (Black) with the 35mm Sumerlux ..............I love the 50mm FOV and also like to shoot at night while sitting in a pub or at Starbucks. If I want any other FOV I can use my M lenses with an adapter that I already have. I guess my Noctilux would be an equivalent  75mm is that correct?? 

Neil

if you say you love shooting at night be informed that TL2 AF is often hunting if the light gets very low.

Besides that the TL2+35mm is a combo I use very often nowadays.

If you check out be aware that the TL2 needs a little more -exp comp than other Leica cameras. I usually use -2/3.

• Like 1

Gordon

You mention that the 11-23 is superb but the 18-56 is only great..................initially I was thinking that the 18-56 would be a good range for street kind of photography..............I sold my Q because I didn't like the 28mm

So why is one superb over great...............is it IQ or just your preference for a wider FOV.

Neil

Superb ..... for a wide angle zoom, that is. The others are both up to the standards you would expect of any Leica lens. The 18-56 is a compact solution and easily pocketable, so would add flexibility to a TL2+35 combo. 

I have both T and SL, no SL lens yet. I have T zooms (11-23, 18-56) and M primes. Using T zooms with SL automatically switch to The falf frame format.

To me, T/TL is very elegant, compact, and convenient, but SL is more comfortable and capable. I do not feel at SL is any large.

I do not think I really need both. A Leica expert once said, there is not really anything that SL can do but TL cannot yet.

But after having both, it becomes addiction.

Neil, welcome to the T Party :)

I have been a fan of the original T for awhile. Mostly use it with my M lenses with the M to TL adapter, but do have couple of T lenses when I want more of a point and shoot. Also bought a second hand T and converted to infrared which is a lot of fun. Haven't yet gotten into a TL2 but will eventually.

Please share your images up here when you get a chance.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

A couple of questions. I will be ordering the camera next week so that it will be waiting for me in Kuala Lumpur when I get home. I'm going to order;

• Silver TL2
  • Black 35mm Summerlux
  • Black Vison EVF

I'm ordering the Arte Di Mano half case with the Lassio strap both in Rally Bordo (burgundy)

What about batteries, I guess I will need to order a spare battery?

Am I missing anything else??

Neil