Leica Stemar lens on Digital M?

jaques

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a Zeiss Stereotar lens for Contax RF cameras. I have been considering trying to convert it to M mount. I have an Amedeo adapter that allows me to mount it on an m3 camera- but I have been too scared to ever try and mount it on a digital M as it has a protruding 'septum' that goes quite deep into the bayonet mount. I think it will mount on the digital M's but it would be a matter of a mm or so before I destroyed my shutter... It's very similar in construction to the Stemar stereo lens.

I am curious if anyone on this forum has used a stemar lens on a Leica digital camera- and if so what the results look like? I would love to see some samples.

Edited by jaques

Never tried, personally... but I wonder, in general, how can be stereo imaging in digital (apart, of course, specific applications like surveying) ... what about VIEWING ? Surely if you go through projection, you could get about the same feeling as diaprojection (usual screen, glasses etc...) ; I confess my ignorance about 3D viewing of digital images through the "modern" viewing devices used for Computer Graphics Virtual Reality applications ... by sense you could use them with static pictures to achieve the "old style" stereo viewing.. but have no idea if is a common set... also on LCD screens side there are facilities about stereo viewing... we use it regularly in CAD applications... but , again, I've never thought of them in the context of digital pictures...

Edited by luigi bertolotti

I haven't looked into it much either- but I think there is software now that can combine the pairs for viewing with red/cyan glasses on a monitor. You can also get the stereo affect by just crossing your eyes and looking at the pair- I made some already on my m9 using an inferior set up to the stemar- using an exacta lens- here are some samples- if you cross your eyes so you can see a third image in the center you will see the 3d affect in that center image- it doesn't work perfectly as the lens was not mounted absolutely level and you need to keep the camera level too when you shoot- it's easier to seee the affect in the second two where I added the black line to seperate the pairs- I think the septum on the stemar lens would help with that:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jaques
  • Like 1

Actually a variety of ways to display side-by-side stereo images on digital displays. Some displays have alternate lines polarized at 90 degrees and you wear polarized lenses to send alternate lines to left and right eyes. Others interlace the left and right eye images in time and use active glasses to pass/block the view in sync with the display. All this is readily available today for gaming and 3D movie viewing. PC graphics cards generally handle it.

• Like 1

My Stemar mounted perfectly on my M9, but not on my M240. I don't know about the M10. Measure carefully with a calliper before mounting and you should be ok.

I use the Stemar with good results on a If and zone focus using the smallest possible aperture compatible with shooting hand-held. As much as possible needs to be in focus for a good 3D shot.

The respective Leitz Elmar 5cm projection lens with twin polarisers works well for group projection. Viewing glasses with linear polarisation are available online. A silver screen is needed, also readily available.

• Like 1

I'll try to dig one out from the depths of the hard drive. I took very few with the M9 in any case. On the screwmount If, it is another matter - many of those to share, if you wish.

Either would be fine please if it's not too much hassle. I'd like to see them as pairs too if possible.

• Like 1

Also- I have a question about the prism attachment for the Stemar. I have a Zeiss Stereotar lens for Contax cameras. It's basically a Contax Stemar. I can mount it on an m3 using the Ameddeo adaptor- and am looking to get it modified to mount on my m240.

However my prism attachment has a crack in one of the lenses- I don't know how much it will affect the image quality. As I don't have a cotax camera- and because my prism is damaged- I have been thinking to chop my Sterotar lens down and turn it into a Leica Stemar lens. The Steroetar has an unusual focusing knob and an extra window for the RF on the contax camera. I would be chopping all of that off if I decide to go ahead.

My question is: how often did you find yourself using the prism part? From what I understand it is only meant for subjects over 10 feet away. If you don't use it do subjects beyond that range still work- though with an un-natural perspective?

Edited by jaques

Here you go, Jaques.  All or most of these are taken with a Leica I f on Provia film.

My M9 experiments with the Stemar were short-lived.  Although I could ascertain that it mounted without damaging the sensor, I much preferred traditional projection on a silver screen using transparency film.  Now the M9 is sold, and the M240, as I said above, will not accommodate the lens.

The prism is absolutely necessary, I find.  Even at less than 10 feet away, it is required it in order to render the desired effect, and all of these examples are taken using it.  As you can see from the included last picture (number 6) in this series (indoors, in a cafe) the effect is perhaps too pronounced at shorter distances.  Perhaps that would have been an occasion not to use it, but the resulting picture is still pleasing.

Here are pictures 1-3

Edited by M9reno
  • Like 3

And now pictures 4-6 in the series:

• Like 4

wow- thanks so much- these look great! I get the stereo affect well by crossing my eyes- but I feel I will get a head ache if I look too long.

shame to hear the prism is a must have... getting mine repaired will be very hard I imagine.

I am surprised the septum doesn't produce a darker line in the middle separating the images more.

I believe my Stereotar will produce very similar results. the two lenses seem incredibly similar.

I have been considering contacting 7 artisans and seeing if they would consider making a new Stemar type lens for Leica... one that's affordable... I wonder how many people might want such a lens?

Good luck with the artisans, but I suspect your best chance might in the end be to wait for an affordable copy of a Stemar, namely not a Wetzlar-made collector's rarity of the kind now being sold in Vienna (2 copies for more than 45K euros!). I think mine about three years ago cost in the range of what one pays for a 50 Summilux ASPH. In the meantime, one can always play with a FIATE slide bar (I have one to sell!), or the Stereoly for earlier Leicas (I have these too, and they work very well).

Especially if you don't plan to project stereo slide transparencies, and your plan is to scan, edit and finally view or project these images digitally, then I don't see any particular advantage in the Stemar over the Stereoly, and the latter sells in the vicinity of 500 euros.

Indeed, the septum does not leave a black line - only way that would happen I think would be for it to touch the film, obviously impossible.

• 3 years later...

Has anyone tried the Leica M mount Stereo Stemar on the film Leica MP (modern) body or on the digital  Leica M10-R body? I have mounted it on the Leica M3 and it seems to fit nicely. Are the curtains in the more modern cameras closer to the mount or the same distance as the M3?

Edited by Footy

The answer is a few posts above yours:

How much does the lens intrude into the body? Maximum safe distance is 22 mm.

On 8/31/2017 at 3:41 PM, M9reno said:

My Stemar mounted perfectly on my M9, but not on my M240. I don't know about the M10. Measure carefully with a calliper before mounting and you should be ok.

I use the Stemar with good results on a If and zone focus using the smallest possible aperture compatible with shooting hand-held. As much as possible needs to be in focus for a good 3D shot.

The respective Leitz Elmar 5cm projection lens with twin polarisers works well for group projection. Viewing glasses with linear polarisation are available online. A silver screen is needed, also readily available.

Thanks for the tips.

I will try it first on M3 and then purchase some calipers to see if it has application to digital M10-R.

Photo attached of Stemar M mount on M3.

• Like 1