Leica M/A worth it?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just one today. I never thought I would get one but I was offered one for a great price. I like it. First film going in tomorrow.

You can’t compare this camera to other meter-less Leica’s, this is new and feels very modern. It’s a modern M3 with all the frame lines you need. It’s a niche and low volume product.

I can’t comment how different it is from the MP I have, which is around 15-16 years old but barely used.

Get one I say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact that the M-A is new or not older than 3 years, is also a huge difference. I have a M4 (1968)  with CLA, but it is not as butter smooth as the M-A. I also have a almost new M7 and also butter smooth, i have also an older M7 with CLA, but again........a huge difference.

The fact that the M-A is new or not older than 3 years, is also a huge difference. I have a M4 (1968)  with CLA, but it is not as butter smooth as the M-A. I also have a almost new M7 and also butter smooth, i have also an older M7 with CLA, but again........a huge difference.

Butter smooth? I call impressionism.

• Like 1

If anyone reading this is minded to prioritise "smoothess" as a factor in buying a new film Leica, I recommend borrowing an older M and using an IXMOO cassette.  The cassette opens inside the camera and the film travels completely free, without passing through a felt lip.  Unfortunately, the M-A cannot hold IXMOOs, and the M6 is the last Leica whose film chamber is built to accept them.

If anyone reading this is minded to prioritise "smoothess" as a factor in buying a new film Leica, I recommend borrowing an older M and using an IXMOO cassette.  The cassette opens inside the camera and the film travels completely free, without passing through a felt lip.  Unfortunately, the M-A cannot hold IXMOOs, and the M6 is the last Leica whose film chamber is built to accept them.

A new camera won't be as smooth as an old one... I agree, borrow an old one first.

Just in case I want to mount a Leicavit M or Motor M (last one), M4 ... no way...MP/M6 yes.

M-A allow those and handling is better with those accessories, if I use big or heavy lens.

But everybody may not use those "assisted thumbs", I understand.

Ive decided to get one. Im going to put my order in next week for a Chrome MA. I thought about the MP before but I think the MA looks better and i don't think going meterless matters that much. I will learn and understand the process more without having a meter to rely on. Im excited to get back into film. I have an older Minolta I've been using for about a year and finally ready to get something better. Thanks for all the comments.

• Like 1

Good decision Eric.

M with no meter IS the ultimate "100%-under-control-photography" (until film processing of course), but not so for slides lovers.

Negatives take care of exposure errors :rolleyes: .

For slides a handheld meter is required: the next question is Spot Meter or not ? That would be fun again ;) .

I was shooting with my new addition today. The chrome seems softer than my other cameras... I mounted a leather strap and the metal spilt ring has left the slightest mark. Just a word of warning. 72da5571e643942d42fe4a39d0e77331.jpg

I really enjoyed shooting meter less. Will put the film in for processing tomorrow so see how successful I actually was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Negatives take care of exposure errors :rolleyes: .

Yes. Under/over exposure does shift the colour quite noticeably with film like Portra 400 but, if you are not fussy, you can shoot C41 film with almost no regard to the exposure. Which shouldn't be surprising when you consider the disposable cameras that were once popular. It was the crappy plastic lens and fixed focus that was the main limitation with those, not the lack of exposure control.

Eric, 

I think you made a good choice. My M-A is my only film M after trying (and enjoying) quite a few different film Ms. It's exceptionally satisfying to work with and though it does have all 6 framelines I find that the 75/135 frames are very small and unobtrusive compared to the noticeably larger ones in my M240. Another plus is that when using 28 or 35mm lenses the bottom line of the frame is not split as there's no meter. It's a small detail, but one that I have greatly come to enjoy. 

@Shiva - Love that 50 Elmar! I wish I had kept mine. I'm using all Zeiss ZM lenses presently, but that 50 Elmar was such a sweet lens.

• Like 1

Great question. No right or wrong answer here. Personal preference and your bank balance would shape your choice.

I use a Minolta CLE. This is an M mount Film camera that has an inbuilt meter. I obsessed about the M-A for months. I managed to get one on loan for a weekend for £80. The best £80 I spent . I shot 3 rolls ( 2 colour Portra 400 and 1 B&W TrI-X) and also shot with the CLE on the same day with Porta 400 .

My findings ( very subjective):

I found metering very easy in the M-A using a phone app. In fact day 2 I did not need the app . One just learns !

The M-A was better in poor light as my own metering with the app was better than the CLE's auto exposure

90% of the photos were of same quality and I could not differentiate between the two on the prints

I was very very worried about damaging the M-A. It is a very expensive camera for careless street photography. With the CLE, I felt uninhibited

I am over the M-A acquisition syndrome. Not because it is not worth it. It is very much the best Film camera money can buy and is a pleasure to use. I just don't think I can justify buying it at this point in my life. I am too scared of damaging it . I am enjoying shooting with CLE and am considering an M4.

Edited by srivastava
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, the M-A cannot hold IXMOOs

Indeed, and a huge oversight by Leica. They could contract IXMOO and/or modify the base plate.

I used Leica (and Nikon) opening cassettes by the dozens in the Seventies for bulk-loading and they were absolutely wonderful. Uh. Seventies ... oi, I'm old!

Answering the original question - yes, the M-A is worth it if it does not take from your family's prosperity.

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

I wonder how many M-A built (sold) each year.

Considering this such small market, I wonder if Leica can still offer this M-A in a couple of years.

Foolish that they offer some "available-rarities" like M-A and M-D along with Summaron-M 28mm or Red Noctilux 0.95.

When M-A will be discontinued (I hope not), this would be "rare-classic-to-own-or-use", and why not the M-A price would rise :ph34r: .

I don't care, I use mine and would not depart with them.

Yes. Under/over exposure does shift the colour quite noticeably with film like Portra 400 but, if you are not fussy, you can shoot C41 film with almost no regard to the exposure. Which shouldn't be surprising when you consider the disposable cameras that were once popular. It was the crappy plastic lens and fixed focus that was the main limitation with those, not the lack of exposure control.

Not once popular but very much popular now - Fuji have said their sales of disposable cameras have doubled http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4839300/Disposable-cameras-snap-life-Fujifilm-sales-up.html