Leica M/A worth it?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Im finally ready to purchase my own film Leica and want to get the M/A. Im curious if other M/A users have any regrets or if they love this model. The only issues I've read with the M/A have been with the film not advancing right but it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem. Thanks for any thoughts or insights.

My two M-A work fine and the most reliable of my ancient film Ms.

No regret...only pleasure like meeting and living with old friends.

Only regret that Leica didn't release M-A earlier :p .

But as sales may be quite low volume, I understand that.

Try it if you can find one.

Edited by a.noctilux

;)

No magic with Black Paint M4, I used one and it does wear out like other camera.

I even think that those Professional BP Ms are used more than other chrom/silver Ms.

I had mine M4 BP second hand :( some years ago, it worked great though.

If the goal is to use the camera, now I would choose silver/chrom ancient bodies over the black ones.

;)

No magic with Black Paint M4, I used one and it does wear out like other camera.

I even think that those Professional BP Ms are used more than other chrom/silver Ms.

If the goal is to use the camera, now I would choose silver/chrom ancient bodies over the black ones.

I wouldn't..............

I just bougth a second hand M-A from 2014, one week ago. I shot 3 films with it and tried one film for reported (incidental) film advance problems (there were non with my M-A). I love the liberating way of using it in combination with sunny 16 and some metering.

I also use M7, M4 & M2.

The M-A is most beautiful in every way (from the camera's i own), followed by my M7. My M4 & M2 are less popular for my, but still beautiful camera's.

I  bought the M-A just because it is meterless, and for that (in my opinion) different from the MP. When the M-A entered the market i never thought about buying one, but after getting it in my hands, i completely changed. Just for the love of the mechanics.

I think a M-A and a M7 or MP is all you need. ;)

Edited by Paul Verrips
  • Like 2

Worth it? Of course that is worth it to you -- and only you can figure that. 

But if you mean to me, I'd say no. A Leica M2-R or basic M2 or M4/M4-P (brass) is going to be every bit as beautiful and functional but less costly even including a CLA. 

• Like 1

There are plenty of M-A-equivalent out there, but M-A is unique new "M2/M4/M4-P/M4-2/M6/etc." with the best clear finder and much more :p .

But for less money, there are those M-A-equivalents on the market, but they're definitely not M-A.

Edited by a.noctilux

;)

It is certainly true that a black enamel M4 will show use more than a chrome will. If you find a pristine black enamel (not black chrome) M4 then it is either a repaint and even if not, it's old and likely needs a CLA. M-A worth it? Is the M-A finish enamel or black chrome? Someone inform me.

I have an original black enamel M4 (photo) held in 'storage', which is silly silly given my age. What's to look forward to? :)

Edited by pico

Good thought, but what makes it perfect? Is it not a .72 finder with cluttered frames?

It's the clearest viewfinder i've seen and flare is not present, contrast has less to non flare in the patch and no exposure information taking up space at the bottom. 

• Like 1

I just one today. I never thought I would get one but I was offered one for a great price. I like it. First film going in tomorrow.

You can’t compare this camera to other meter-less Leica’s, this is new and feels very modern. It’s a modern M3 with all the frame lines you need. It’s a niche and low volume product.

I can’t comment how different it is from the MP I have, which is around 15-16 years old but barely used.

Get one I say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk