M-10 not recognising my Summicron 35/2

Khun Hans

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bought a new Summicron 35/2 for my M10 last week. After a day of shooting I recognised that it switched NOT to 'Auto lens detection'.

Instead it switched to the last Manual M setting.

And I can't set it to Auto lens detection in the menu.

It shows the correct frame lines for 35mm in the viewfinder.

Went back to the Leica store. They wanted to change the lens and ... the new lens had the same problem. They mounted my lens on their Store M 10 and Auto lens detection worked.

Have another Summilux 50mm and a Elmarit 28mm all coded and it works perfect.

Any experience with this problem someone, please?

Hans

You do not seem to be alone (see other current thread going). I experience the same thing with one lens on my new M10, this lens  is identified on other M10s and also my old M9. Some suggest that the M10 sensitivity has been increased for some reason... possibly making these ¨misjudgements¨ we are not used to. I guess we will here more on this issue.

PS: The M10 has a more ¨sophisticated¨ user interphase on this at least compared to my M9 - now it either reads 6-bit and set to auto (which can not be overruled) or it is manual. Works very well... when it works... ;-)

Regards, Stein Kjetil

• Like 1

Mount a lens working in auto mode. Set detection to auto. Then mount yours 35/2. Also - check firmware version first. I had similar issue once on lens received for testing.

Thanks for the reply. If you you mean the latest Firmware for the M-10, yes 

You do not seem to be alone (see other current thread going). I experience the same thing with one lens on my new M10, this lens  is identified on other M10s and also my old M9. Some suggest that the M10 sensitivity has been increased for some reason... possibly making these ¨misjudgements¨ we are not used to. I guess we will here more on this issue.

PS: The M10 has a more ¨sophisticated¨ user interphase on this at least compared to my M9 - now it either reads 6-bit and set to auto (which can not be overruled) or it is manual. Works very well... when it works... ;-)

Regards, Stein Kjetil

Thanks for the information about the other threat going on. Indeed it shows I'm not the only one. Hopefully it will fixed by a firmware update. Anyway, I will be in Wetzlar in about 3 weeks from now and I will address the issue there.

Edited by Khun Hans

It would seem that another Leica electronic product has problems. Given the sales price and the now extensive experience with digital cameras, you would think a marketed product would operate solidly in the flawless range. Disappointing. Regards, Ron

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just got my M10 today.  I have many ASPH lenses and they all work on the M10 in lens detect auto except for the 35 ASPH Cron.  When it is mounted, the auto detect cannot be selected.  I have to go to manual and then pick it from the list.  Interestingly, I can choose all of the options on lens select (off, manual, R to M adapter) except auto.  May ASPH 35 Cron I bought about 4 years ago and have only used once when originally purchased since so it is still in pristine condition.  

On my M10, if I replace a non-6-bit lens with a 6-bit lens, I need to go through a sequence, setting lens detection to OFF, power off, replace the lens, power on, set lens detection to auto. Otherwise it remains stuck in the last manual lens setting.

I set my M10 to Manual-R as I have multiple non-coded lenses I shoot with along side several modern 6-bit ones. In general I have no problems recognizing the coded ones after swapping.  On occasion, however, over the past 6 months, perhaps two or three times the camera has failed to recognize my coded lenses, registering them as uncoded.   Once I've realized the lens wasn't detected, I've found that cleaning the sensor with a simple wipe of a lens cloth has cleared up the problem.   

• 1 year later...
On 8/30/2017 at 2:56 AM, Khun Hans said:

Bought a new Summicron 35/2 for my M10 last week. After a day of shooting I recognised that it switched NOT to 'Auto lens detection'.

Instead it switched to the last Manual M setting.

And I can't set it to Auto lens detection in the menu.

It shows the correct frame lines for 35mm in the viewfinder.

Went back to the Leica store. They wanted to change the lens and ... the new lens had the same problem. They mounted my lens on their Store M 10 and Auto lens detection worked.

Have another Summilux 50mm and a Elmarit 28mm all coded and it works perfect.

Any experience with this problem someone, please?

Hans

Hi Hans,

I know this is an older thread, but were you able to resolve the detection of the 35mm F2 (typ 11673)?  I too just realized that I have the exact same problem, this lens mounted on my M10 default to Manual M setting. No issue with the 50 and 28 again just like you.

Thx

David

vor 48 Minuten schrieb MrQ:

Hi Hans,

I know this is an older thread, but were you able to resolve the detection of the 35mm F2 (typ 11673)?  I too just realized that I have the exact same problem, this lens mounted on my M10 default to Manual M setting. No issue with the 50 and 28 again just like you.

Thx

David

Hi David

I sold that M10 and the Summicron for some reasons. I bought an new M10 and a Cron 35 again and it works fine and all my other M lenses as well. They all show the right value with Auto lens detection.

What a fool I was thinking of living without a Leica M. :wacko:

• Like 1

I have the same issue with my M10 which I quite recently bought. The 35 summicron is not identified by the cameras auto lens detection. However it works perfect with my other four Leica lenses and I have the 35 summicron selected in the manual list which the camera default back to when the 35 is mounted. So no big issue in practice but still a bit annoying. 

17 minutes ago, Khun Hans said:

Hi David

I sold that M10 and the Summicron for some reasons. I bought an new M10 and a Cron 35 again and it works fine and all my other M lenses as well. They all show the right value with Auto lens detection.

What a fool I was thinking of living without a Leica M. :wacko:

Thanks for replying Hans.  I am glad the second time worked out better.  It seems to be a real issue with the detection system on the M10... I will contact Leica as a follow up.

Best regards,

David

vor 10 Minuten schrieb parsod:

I have the same issue with my M10 which I quite recently bought. The 35 summicron is not identified by the cameras auto lens detection. However it works perfect with my other four Leica lenses and I have the 35 summicron selected in the manual list which the camera default back to when the 35 is mounted. So no big issue in practice but still a bit annoying. 

Your m10 and the Cron 35 are new or did you buy 2nd hand?

9 minutes ago, parsod said:

Sorry to hear...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khun Hans said:

Your m10 and the Cron 35 are new or did you buy 2nd hand?

They were both bought new. The 35 I have had for a long time and the auto detection worked without any problems with my M9. I was hoping this could be solved through firmware updates for the M10 but maybe that is not the case?

Does your 35mm have the official factory 6-bit coding from Leica? (machined pits filled with black or white paint?)

Does your 35mm actually bring up the 35mm framelines in the viewfinder?

Are you sure the lens is mounting completely and locking into position?

Have you checked both the lens's 6-bit black and white coding pits - and the camera's 6-bit detector plate - to make sure neither are contaminated: grease on the camera detector; or white dust or black grime on the lens coding marks?