I bought an M10. And became a worse photographer.

jbradstreet

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Really a perfect read. Thanks.

I'm 28 years old, and I started my photographic life when I was 18, so it's about 10 years now!

From Sony pocket digital camera, to Canon 20D, then 5D, 5D MK2 (Feel regret that I haven't used Nikon), and, Leica. 

I still remember the moment when I held my first Leica camera (M6 silver), solid, perfect and compact.

I like that memory, just as I like the times when I could not play the online game as long as my mom picked up the phone:)

Now, I'm working for my life, for my future, it's quite busy but I still keep my Leica cameras and lenses.

M10 is faster, like a genuine digital camera, and keep the Leica spirit at the same time, I like it, it reminds me of my M6.

And I've bought a Leica Q to my father, the autofocus really helps a lot to capture the moment. Why don't you keep one?

Anyway, thank you for your text. I just want to share my feelings and emotions :)

• Like 2

I'm about to take the plunge. I inherited 2 lenses from my Father which was used by my Grandfather. Dad does not shoot anymore, he used it on his M2. So I thought if I bought the M10 and used it. At least I do not have to buy new lenses.

Both are Summicrons 35 and 50mm. Need some servicing as the focus rings are very stiff.

6c85938b51c3c20eb4a473e649cbd63e.jpg

d774567925c6255513e94ce515576a5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm about to take the plunge. I inherited 2 lenses from my Father which was used by my Grandfather. Dad does not shoot anymore, he used it on his M2. So I thought if I bought the M10 and used it. At least I do not have to buy new lenses.

Beautiful! Love the thought of any of my gear getting passed that far down the chain. Wonderful legacy you get to continue!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey jbradstreet, thanks for the musings. What a great story to end my day. Welcome to the Red Dot club. The more time you put into the "M" series the more you get back. Keep making images.

Thanks Jeff. Might be a bit late to the club, but I'm loving every minute of it.

Both are Summicrons 35 and 50mm. Need some servicing as the focus rings are very stiff.

6c85938b51c3c20eb4a473e649cbd63e.jpg

d774567925c6255513e94ce515576a5a.jpg

From a collector viewpoint, your 35mm Summicron is quite a valuable lens. Make sure that you get someone well qualified to service this and also the 50mm lens. They are both excellent lenses which compare very favourably with the equivalent modern lenses and, of course, they look much better.

William

• Like 1

From a collector viewpoint, your 35mm Summicron is quite a valuable lens. Make sure that you get someone well qualified to service this and also the 50mm lens. They are both excellent lenses which compare very favourably with the equivalent modern lenses and, of course, they look much better.

William

Hey William.

Thanks for the comment.

I will be taking them to Leica Singapore - they will be in the best hands!

Shawnn

And hey... it would be crime to NOT shoot wide often often. Especially at this price / weight.

With the Noctilux, it would also be a crime NOT to stop it down. Yes, there is magic at f/0.95 but to get one's money worth, one needs to try it at f/5.6 as well. Contrast increases substantially, perceived sharpness is stunning. It becomes like a Summicron. In fact, it beats the 50 Apo Summicron. And, by the way, it has tons of purple fringing wide open. Easy to deal with, though. Below three sample shots from today, opened from DNGs in LR and not touched at all except default sharpening. Full resolution in the link below. The first two at f/5.6.

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-R3M9Qc/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Chaemono

Once you go M you never go back

M or other system don't make by itself better or worse photographer.

But pleasure of  using nice stuffs can help to better photography, rarely worse ;) .

Some people go to S or SL , even T sometime :p .

Forward or backward ?

Edited by a.noctilux

M or other system don't make by itself better or worse photographer.

But pleasure of  using nice stuffs can help to better photography, rarely worse ;) .

Some people go to S or SL , even T sometime :p .

Forward or backward ?

All Photography is a personal decision. Have to choose what gear speaks to you. I believe the M does make you a better photographer, at least that's been my experience. It forces you to focus on the fundamentals of photography and to enjoy the process of focusing and anticipation. I wouldn't compare the M to anything else, neither stuff made by Leica nor another brand. To me, the M is it's own class and system. Photography is not just about making good images, its also about choosing the process that you enjoy. Everyone has a different perspective, that's life, but for me, Ive become a dedicated M user. Even if they stop making digital M's, I'll still shoot my film M til the very end. I love the M, there is nothing more to need or want.

• Like 3