I bought an M10. And became a worse photographer.

jbradstreet

I always shoot with a 90mm (on a R9.)  Even while focusing through the lens; I do end up missing the area where I'm trying to focus.  Wide open for me is 2.0, so I totally understand about the 1.4 mishaps.  I was in the understanding (even though I don't know much about the M series...) that the M10 has one of those new electronic viewfinders which I thought were suppose to help with focusing...though maybe I'm wrong about that. 

In any case; keep the fun up with your adventures through your M10, and always feel free to share your images when you can. 

• Like 1

Thanks very much.  I especially like your use of 'meditative'.  

I went Nikon>Minolta>Sony>Canon>Sony>Leica.  Guess Canon had the march on Nikon for digital for a while, then Sony for mirrorless and big range of adapters.  Leica is pure photography though.  You never forget with a Sony that you are using an electronic device first and foremost.

Digressing slightly, nothing against the guy but Steve Huff jumps too much from one thing to another for me - he is a kit reviewer so why wouldn't he. Thorsten is far more on point though.  And this forum is great.  So much knowledge freely shared.

• Like 2

I see myself in many ways.

So do I.

Or if it gets sold to help finance the 28 Summilux.

Before shelling out the money for a Summilux-M 28 mm Asph, I strongly recommend to check out the Summicron-M 28 mm Asph, to compare the two, and to reflect whether you really are willing to put up with the Summilux's size, weight, viewfinder obstruction, and unwieldy 49 mm filter size.

And so that's my life for foreseeable future.

Ha! Just wait until you hear the siren call of the Leica M-A ... or the M4, or M2 ;)

• Like 1

The M10 won't make you a great photographer, but it will make you a better, thinking photographer. I love it far, far more than expected, and enjoy the shooting experience immensely more than with my DSLR which have been relegated to sports/action duty only.

• Like 5

I went Voightlander, Mamiya, Leica,Nikomat, Nikon and Leica M3 on film, Sony point on shoot on Digital, then Canon Rebel Xt, XS1, full frame 5D2, 7D then Sony A7R and A6000, now back to Leica M10...I will keep the Canons and Sonys but will use the Leica with A7R for travel, the A6000 for walk around and small parties and family group pix, the Canons for astro and airshows...I look forward to shooting the M10 with Summarit 50, Elmarit 28 and CV 15, in my trip to Italy and Aegean seas.

Thanks for the great post, although I did skip a few bits.

I'm fairly new to Leica in middle age, there are some of us here.

Very familiar, I went Trip 35, film SLR, APS and DSLR (during which phase I forgot how to use a camera properly), then M9 5 or 6 years ago and got back to teaching myself how to take proper photo's almost from scratch. I've never had so much fun. I have M7, M10 and Q and will definitely not be getting rid of the Q. Each camera is different, each lens different, unless you need the money, it's a hobby so why compromise? 

My change arose from lugging all my Canon kit on a month-long trip in the heat. Sold it all in one go. No regrets. 

I also bought a Fuji X-Pro1 as backup for the M9 and my son now has it. He also has a Bessa for film and only uses M lenses on both. His are cheaper but he gets mine when the day comes, if he doesn't permanently borrow before.

I originally thought just using a 35 or 50 was a limitation, I now see it as liberation. Both my kids (17 and 20) are keen photographers, film and digital, and are also mainly 35mm and know how to use cameras properly. I give thanks I never got them compact zooms.  

Lovely selection of portraits. 

Edited by sls
  • Like 1

So do I. Before shelling out the money for a Summilux-M 28 mm Asph, I strongly recommend to check out the Summicron-M 28 mm Asph, to compare the two, and to reflect whether you really are willing to put up with the Summilux's size, weight, viewfinder obstruction, and unwieldy 49 mm filter size. 

Thanks 01af. Definitely under consideration. And wouldn't be too far a cry from the speed of the 28 on the Q. I'll likely keep my eye out for a nice previously enjoyed copy and give it a whirl.

I have M7, M10 and Q and will definitely not be getting rid of the Q. Each camera is different, each lens different, unless you need the money, it's a hobby so why compromise?

Thanks sls. The main reason I'd let the beloved Q find a new home, is for the very reason this whole camera diet began. Strong believer in 'the best camera is the one you have with you' mantra, and only one camera is always on my hip, so the Q would likely become the old relic like the Canon gear that came before it. Another lens on the other hand is easier to tuck in the bag if I find the 50 too tight. At least that's my current thinking. I'll get back to you in a couple years when I have half a dozen Leica bodies and room full of lenses!

Also, and not that I ever really care about depreciation for gear I love, but being a fixed unit the beautiful glass on the Q is glued to an aging bit of electronics. Where as a 28 cron or lux remains as useful today as it will be in 20 years.

• Like 2

Thanks 01af. Definitely under consideration. And wouldn't be too far a cry from the speed of the 28 on the Q. I'll likely keep my eye out for a nice previously enjoyed copy and give it a whirl.

A 28 Summilux won't do a lot more than the Q. If you use the Q on fully automatic, it will default to f/1.7 unless it is very dark. You may use the Q more creatively, I don't know, but I don't see the point in spending the money on another fast 28mm. I went the other way and went for the 28 Summaron, which is actually a bit more expensive than the 28 Summicron and a lot more than the Summarit, but for a completely different approach than the Q. 

Thanks sls. The main reason I'd let the beloved Q find a new home, is for the very reason this whole camera diet began. Strong believer in 'the best camera is the one you have with you' mantra, and only one camera is always on my hip, so the Q would likely become the old relic like the Canon gear that came before it. Another lens on the other hand is easier to tuck in the bag if I find the 50 too tight. At least that's my current thinking. I'll get back to you in a couple years when I have half a dozen Leica bodies and room full of lenses!

Also, and not that I ever really care about depreciation for gear I love, but being a fixed unit the beautiful glass on the Q is glued to an aging bit of electronics. Where as a 28 cron or lux remains as useful today as it will be in 20 years.

I think it will be a while yet before Q electronics or 24mp sensor become redundant. I get an M and Q in a very small bag from Courierware, plus phone, wallet and keys and even a spare lens. Could fit a Kindle in if needed. I love the Q for playing tourist with the wife, more flexible and quicker than M10 + 35/f2.

Edited by sls
  • Like 1

That was indeed a good read! I went from Nikon to Canon to Fuji plus Sony plus Leica. I cant imagine just having a M since I've shot with AF for so long like you did. So, I'm keeping my AF cameras for the days I don't feel like shooting manually.

• Like 1

Well done! I hope you have found a new photographic home with Leica.

I found that I fairly quickly became a better photographer as I got rid of all the tools meant to help. First it was the zooms. They made me far too lazy in my composition. OK, it wasn’t the lens’ fault—it was my own. I became far too lazy. Then, when I switched to Leica, I had to give up evaluative metering and (gasp!) autofocus. Again, in order to make the images I could “see” in my mind’s eye I had to engage my brain. The pictures slowly got better.

There is definitely a place for mega-zooms, high frame rates, and one thousand point autofocus. If I were a reporter, a wildlife shooter, or probably even a wedding photographer I doubt I would be using a Leica, but for the type of photography that brings me joy it is definitely the right tool.

As to your few points of criticism... I agree with you on the ability to turn off frame lines for focal lengths you don’t possess or just won’t be using on a given day. That would be nice. The removable bottom plate, now that it is somewhat weather sealed I see as harmless if silly. For a 50mm I don’t find a magnifier very useful (I’ve tried one on an M9), but it would sure come in handy for my 135mm.

Once you’ve gotten the hang of focusing correctly, feel free to stop down a bit. Not every photograph benefits from the extreme subject isolation of n f/1.4 aperture. Oh, and don’t be too quick to sell the ‘Q’, especially if it’s to fund a 28mm. You’ve already got a great 28mm Summilux, it just happens to have a camera attached. A very good camera, at that. There are times when having an autofocus camera with a good EVF is priceless. Like vacation snaps or weekend getaways. I have kept mine and don’t currently own another 28mm lens.

• Like 3

Good read.

Thorsten's fine results notwithstanding, those other little numbers on your lens between 1.4 and 16 needn't die of loneliness. Mine at least appreciate the attention.

Jeff

Ha! Yeah it won't ALWAYS shoot at 1.4. But for now I'm pushing myself technically. And hey... it would be crime to NOT shoot wide often often. Especially at this price / weight.

• Like 1